Forums > Social Discussion > philosophical questioning...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
this is something that i've hit a few of my more 'deep' thinking mates with, and its gotten a few different answer- so its intruiged me enough to ask you all:

what is the most evil philosophy ever?
is it the philosophy of consumerism?
or the extremist?
etc...
lets delve in for this one....i think there are a few on here that will have good answers...

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

DragenWulfBRONZE Member
25 posts

Posted:
To deep for moi

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Written by:

lastly i think dave mentioned a universal moral code which some people believe is with us at birth. does such a thing really exist? if you look at different cultures from around the world things which are considered good or bad vary dramatically....

And that's why I think the question is flawed - 'evil' must be referenced back to something: a religion, credo, set of beliefs about the world, nature, nurture, objectivity, subjectivity, judgement and bias...

Because I'm not sure that there is a constant definition of evil unless it's referenced to a theology or philosophy, and then it's not a constant, it would be an ever shifting definition.

rolleyes

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
w-e-l-l... evil at the end of the day is just a human word and concept. like any other human concepts our definition of evil depend upon our perception of it and everyone's prception is different due to their education. but what we seem to be asking is: is there an entity which exists outside the human mind which when we percieve it (whatever our education) we recognise as evil (whatever our definition of evil is)?

let's compare it to a horse. every culture which has horses has a name for a horse. althouth the names are all different, everyone still knows what a horse it. interestingly, i've never heard of a culture, no matter how isolated or set back, which doesn't have a word for evil, or differentiate between good and bad...

...what we then need to ask is this differentiation of good and bad related soley to unspoken social contracts, inherent in the conciousness, or due to a sperate entity called evil?

(i love philosophy, you can discuss stuff for hours with people and go so far off on tangents you forget what the hell you we talking about in the first place wink)

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Sure ado-p, faberge. I watch far too much television and I was referring to this doco series Land Of Sex And Sinners. Second episode tonight in Aust.

Written by:

Episode 1 – Friday July 30 at 10pm
This episode looks at the first Irish settlers and their “collectively held sexual obsession of the Neolithic”, from which descended the rituals of contemporary witches and neo-Pagans. It looks at the coming of the Celts around 500BC. In terms of sexuality the warrior culture of the Celts had a profound if gradual effect on the practices of the native peoples of Ireland. Land of Sex and Sinners then moves on to examine the influence on Ireland’s sexual history effected by the coming of Christianity. This is where we get into the early Christian monks, who were more like hermits.

Written by:

Episode 2 – Friday August 6 at 10pm
The second episode moves into feudal times. The invasion of Ireland by the Normans in the 12th century had the blessing of the Pope partly because they brought fresh impetus towards sexual sobriety. Following the Normans was a period of post-famine Puritanism, when prostitution was rife, which moved into an even more sterile state after Irish independence. The documentary then covers the sexual revolution of the 1960s and 70s, leading up until present day.

Will get back when I figure out how 'evil' must be referenced back to something.

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I’ll just add to the above that:

For the early Christian monks, the concept of pilgrimage was closely tied with the Christian notion of penance. Monks would often embark on pilgrimages as a way of seeking out a place which would reveal God to them. These early hermits were the ones who went to great extremes to avoid sexual feelings.

St. Kevin (Coemgen) Abbot of Glendalough, Ireland b. about 498, the date being very obscure; d. 3 June, 618; son of Coemlog and Coemell. He belonged to the second order of Irish saints and probably was never a bishop. Kevin took to the hills after his ordination rather than the road, becoming a hermit in a cave at Glendalough, or "valley of the two lakes," in County Wicklow. There he wore skins, ate nettles and berries, and prayed.

The above doco has much to say about self flagellation and its connection with sexual repression etcetcetc.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

griffinfeminine tiddly pom
505 posts

Posted:
ooo i think i heard about something Similar, where monks and others of the church (i dont know what sect) would literally beat out the sexual feelings...but you know they were just havin a Good Time...

anyway, i agree with duballstar, about the universal code and nature/nurture
but when i think "evil" i think of the black knights against the good ones, and the dragons etc, and im sure you all think something different, so everyone's view of "evil" is different. altho im sure most of the examples and arguements within that will be the same (e.g. whether killing is wrong, then what about self defence? and if you're on an island alone except for one other person, lets make them blind too, and basically, theres nothing you can survive on, except each others flesh...what to do, what to do?? im sorry, these are just examples, ignore them)

but what i mean is that Everyone's definition of "evil" is different, but there will be similarities, whether because of the similarity of culture or the human right/wrong internal debate. laws were made to make illegal "evil" things, so they are punishable by the state (obviously not Everything) but are they the opinion of the people in power, or of the nation? im sure the majority dont object to murder and rape being illegal though.

i dont know anymore, im not quite sure what question im vainly trying to answer, but i like babbling about philosophy too. (but is it philosophy? can we take these "conversations" seriously??
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!)

in state of metamorphosis

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
where's this thread going? are we now trying to establish whether it's evil to sexually repress yourself with sticks? ubblol

Written by: griffin

and if you're on an island alone except for one other person, lets make them blind too, and basically, theres nothing you can survive on, except each others flesh...

have you been reading life of pye by any chance? wink

Written by:

but is it philosophy? can we take these "conversations" seriously??

course we can thi is exactly the kind of stuff that philiosphy's all about! s'great innit? biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

505 posts

Posted:
"have you been reading life of pye by any chance?"
i might be falling horribly into some kind of crazae trap here, but no, i haven't...?
and yer man, s'great! innit...Heaaavvvyyyy...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Where's this thread going?

Sorry for the confusion, I was answering some questions about an earlier post.

ubbidea Anyhow, it’s an interesting discussion so I looked up evil at dictionary dot com . They define evil as morally bad or wrong. This indicates to me that the discussion is probably about morals and morality.

Where moral is concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and character, and morals are rules or habits of conduct, especially of sexual conduct, with reference to standards of right and wrong (dictionarydotcom).

Does that help?

ubbangel

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
kind of, but it only returns us to the problem of whether morals are inherent or subjective.... umm

anyway there's nothing wrong with taking th discussion off on a tangent about sexual repression. could be pretty funny tongue

505 posts

Posted:
ok, lets lighten this thread (altho philosophy is v interesting)
duballstar, do You feel sexually repressed? and if so, how do you combat this problem?

and evil def, yep, but its all so vague, and kinda here, but if ya want, also maybe there, but look! what do i spy all the way over there?? ok, superman, but anyhoo..yeh...sex...

biggrin

Page: