Forums > Other Toys > Double long handled broadsword

Login/Join to Participate

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
Here's an idea I haven't seen posted yet (sorry if I missed it on the search!) -
my next project is a staff with broadswords attached at each end. The overall length would be about 6 feet, swords 2 feet in length each, leaving a 2 foot section for manipulating the "staff"
look at the bottom left weapon here , called a Guan Dao, but picture a broadsword at both ends.
(oh yeah, the swords are wicked, of course) biggrin
What do ya all think?

Sometimes, you just have to believe.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
I've been wanting to make a fire guan dao for the longest ubblove

I think you might need more like 3 or 4 ft to manipulate the staff well, also perhaps keep yourself a little farther from the hot metal if you have any. I'd rekkin that you'd want to use the tool for katas as well, alot of which involve stops/recoils. Not to mention with that much weight on the ends I'd be partial to some contact work with it wink

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
me thinks I'll go down to the local martial arts store again and look at the construction of their guan dao...
I suspect the use of this weapon would be a cross between staff and spear forms. - as for the heat, I'll make sure the guards are still on the swords (and maybe insulated)

musashii, here's their address, if you're interested.
658 South King Street, Seattle, WA 98104
(206) 624-3838

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
agreed on the use, from the forms I've seen the entire length of staff behind the sword is used, and just the sheer weight of the weapon is used for some really complicated passes from hand to hand. thnx for the info!! none of my room mates could tell me where one was. Thats in the ID eh, think I used to practice falun gong right around the corner from there wink I bet you could stretch bicycle innertube around your guards to insulate them?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
I bet I could - that idea of using bicycle innertubes as grip is great! I'll have to use it on my next contact staff (if I ever get around to learning!)

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
gloves!
please smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
Urg. Went to the weapons shop and all they had were poorly made polearms. Looks like I'll have to start searching for better made weapons (or commission someone to make one for me... or learn blacksmithing!)

gloves, Bender? Wearing 'em?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I would go the comminsioning way.

My old club was lucky enough to have a fabricator who made all the weapons, including solid steel Guan Doas for training on (it takes long long time to be allowed to learn this weapon in the style i was learing).

This is a serious weapon so a purpose built Fire version (with a flat blunt, non floppy blade: 5mm plate would be perfect and could be cut to allow easy mounting,securing of wick) would be alot safer than a sharp floppy blade.

The Guan Doa or Kwan Do also has a very interesting mythology. Check it out and introduce yourself to its master, General Guanyu (a.k.a. Guandi or Guan Gung), The God of War and mac daddy of Kung Fu.

Some info here

Love is the law.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Fookin' heavy weapons - www.gwangung.co.uk have some nice ones for sale at the moment (including "live blades eek )

Were you thinking of using it on fire?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
durbs and ado-p - thanks for the info! Its good to know more about the history of the weapons I'm about to adopt. I don't have any formal training in guan dao, but I'm sure I can come up with something passable - those wushu moves do come in handy wink

I definitely want it on fire durbs - now that I've got your link, maybe I can actually put this thought into reality...

sunny

Lynessestranger
15 posts

Posted:
howwoward

I don't think that you would want broadswords at the end of your staff, the guan dao sounds a lot more feasable. Sounds really cool. When you get it up and running, take some pics and post em.

If you have a choice between two evils...go with the one yo haven't tried yet

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
Hey Lynesse, thanks for the encouragement and welcome to HOP. It may be a while (read a month or 2) before I can actually put the double ended guan dao together - I'll have to special order it.

I think the "sharp" sides of the blades will be 180 degrees rotated from each other (so if you were spinning in a left and right plane figure 8, you could actually (in an ideal world) cut something.

sigh, works in progress (but look at the construction of my 9 ring broadsword in my pictures!)

Lynessestranger
15 posts

Posted:
smile Thanks for the welcome howwoward *grin* but don't forget that in an ideal worl you would be perfect at weilding it and wouldn't cut yourself, your brave smile

I do fencing and swordplay and always always end up bruised and hurt (training with better people is the best way to learn)

You have pictures? Where?

If you have a choice between two evils...go with the one yo haven't tried yet

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
true true - I've certainly smacked myself with the ends of staves, and many many times with poi - I'd be interested in covering most of the blade with wick to prevent "cutting"