Forums > Social Discussion > Twirling and loss of focus

Login/Join to Participate

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I would like to know how you lose your concentration when doing the flamey thing and i'd like to learn about how you work around that.

Personally, i find it most difficult when people are barking commands at me when i'm twirling. Everyone has a different, personal approach to how they twirl - mine is that it is a gift that i am sharing with others, and it is transmitted by the energy that is bounced between us. When the energy is bounced back as negavity, that affects me.
Right action says to not participate in negative exchange, so the biting of my tongue sometimes completely saps the passion of the moment.
The solution i have found is to be completely selfish by changing my intent from twirling for the sake of sharing a performance, to twirling simply for that sake of the moment.
This distinction can appear much of a muchness, but this is a passion that is dear to me. ubbangel

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I don't really perform for people, and when I do, I can spin and talk to them at the same time... And I don't get that much out of performing... I don't appreciate it that much I suppose, and I can't really explain why. Well, I suppose I *could* but I'm not gonna tongue

I loose concentration when I zone out... While spinning, and just kinda.. Go in my own head, and don't realize what I'm spinning around me. Thankfully, I only let this happen when I'm *NOT* burning!

But it is amazing when I can zone out, and am still in touch with the poi (you know, what it's like when they become like an extention of your body, and you feel as if you can feel all the way to the tip of your poi, as if it's a body part). That is totally worth all of this.

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Phellanmember
74 posts

Posted:
I would say I'm kind of the middle of both Bender and Bobo in this case. . . I can definately empathize with both. . . I like to share twirling--nothing is greater than seeing someones eyes sparkle as they are amazed and mesmerized by twirling, even I feel that as I watched skilled staffers and poiers go to work. . . And I enjoy sharing that with the crowd. However it can be quite distracting when hecklers or people who aren't into it get involved, and their negative feedback--or vibes even can be a royal pain. . .

I compensate like Bender and Bobo I find, I sorta draw it in and feel the flame and the staff, a trance almost. However I manage to extend my range to the point where I'm constantly aware of those around me to avoid accidents (there are a surprising number of small children around where we practice daily, and they just *love* to get close. . . ) and if I find myself going into just feeling the moves and reveling in the motions too much. . .well I draw out pretty quick.

If I really badly lose my focus I'll slow down to just base moves, something that will allow me to start feeling the centre of the staff and become aware of my surroundings again. Solidify myself. . . generally it's not a problem during a preformance especially if an area is roped off. . . but during practice I'm constantly re-adjusting for all the people moving about. Especially if I have to engage with the crowd, talk with them and the like. I find myself doing simple actions that don't require much thought, the most natural of my moves.

I will however admit that my best twirling comes when I'm soley focused on the aspects of the spinning, body and mind . . . yet it's difficult to do that and remain aware enough of the things around you to avoid accidents if someone wanders too close (or if I move quickly in a direction).

6,978 posts

Posted:
Sometimes it's a gift given to the self - the most ciritcal audience i have ever twirled to have been the times when i have been alone wink

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Personally I'm too busy chanting "Not in the face, please God, not in the face" to take much notice of anyone else.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Know that feeling Eera...

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Depends on where you are. If its a gig u should try to keep people at a distance.

I use to lose concentration BAD, just little things would put me off and then i would make mistakes. Now nothing really gets to me, maybe its because my flames are so huge i cant hear anything, or i just block people out. I can often just spin softly and talk at the same time, but prefer to just spin re-fuel, spin re-fuel... and stop for a smoko wink and if its worth chilling ill chill and watch others, if not i start again untill i feel i can chill.

There have been people that i just wanted to take out with my staff mad usually they give up when you dont listen to them anymore (because i think they just wanna throw you off) but if they dont back off i loose it. Best way to warn them, is dip your wicks and blow a burnoff near them, the unburnt fuel falls on them and they leave ubblol

Either that, or i put my stuff out and put it away, its not safe to spin when ur angry. Try to chillax :P eventually they get bored and leave you alone and go find someone else to bother. Then you can start again. biggrin

(Sole)Sparkfixerupera of strangness maximus
147 posts

Posted:
i dont really think i am ever focused when im twirling i dont shut people out like i hear whats goin on and everything but the negatives i hear the most i think i tend to lose it if someone abuses me and so forth, i become conscious of what people around me are doin which puts me off and at that point i either stop or slow it down

i cant be bothered with wankers with no respect i guess thats y i dont really preform and prefer to teach my mates and play around with them u are with people who respect ur methods and dont try to belittle you when ur trying to have fun

yay up to 5 beat weave only 4 more to get to 9 :P

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
What makes me lose concentration? People. They don't have to be doing or saying anything, just knowing that they're there puts me off ever so slightly; I'm concentrating more on not screwing up and making it look okay to anyone watching, and can't really loosen myself up enough to really perform at my 'best', whatever that may be. So (with the odd, very rare exception) the only time when I'm really happy with my spinning is when no-one is around to see it.

I hate irony.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
i cant even hear people when i am spinning i get lost in the sound of the fire

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I dont think i've ever expierenced the kind of negative interaction you've described Bender. Its sad that anyone would have anything but positive energy for someone as talented and passionate as you.

I find that i am vaugely aware but not distracted by my surroundings when spinning, but again no one has yet deliberatly commanded my attention.

I think if you are sharing your fire and your love with the universe, then these people are also included, it is their heart that is closed and it is them that will ultimatley feel the loss.

Twirl your heart out, literalley.

Love is the law.

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
If I'm in a performance, and doing solo spins, I zone out just enough that I don't "hear" such things....though not so much that I wouldn't hear "STOP" or "FIRE" if I hit myself...though I also become more alert when I hit myself, to make sure extra fuel doesn't burn me....

If I'm in a performance and it's a choreographed piece, then I focus only on those folks I am spinning with. Once we've got the piece to where it's ready for a fire run through, we all know our parts well enough that we shouldn't have to speak unless we totally space and forget what we're doing.

Bottom line, I don't really converse when I'm spinning fire. Even when I'm practiicing, and people talk to me, I find it hard to concentrate...I just sort of zone out, and concentrate on my spinning.

Lost in my own little world....

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

6,978 posts

Posted:
perhaps i should smile more.
i continue to surprise myself at how little my facial expression reflects my internal state when i twirl - so unpeaceful!
to be sure a good twirl creates a smile - perhaps i should look more at how a smile can cause a good twirl also!
i haven't been twirling for as long as a lot of people, and i have heard some killah mean comments from other firetwirlers, as recent as last week!
to react with likeminded meaness would diminish the passion of it all, so i take it smile
methinks it's better to sustain a bruised pride than a diminished spark in me!

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
i have to agree with native, when im spinning im gone

at least with fire, glowstick or led, n ot so much with tailed poi

so i guess more when its dark, sometimes it freaks me out when people want me to spin when there are to many people around, but it only bothers me before i start spinning, as soon as i spin i mdont worry about anyone else at all

somebody said that when they fall into this stage they pull back, for fear of losing concentration or and accident, its kinda the opposite for me, when i spin im focused very intently on the poi, the sound, the movement, so im less likely to mess up

happy spinning>

peace and much luv ubbangel ubblove

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
yo bender you should spin naked you wont worrey what people are thinking then you will just be spinning naked

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

6,978 posts

Posted:
i don't want to make small children cry. wink

MozyBRONZE Member
*.. If ya can't be Good, Be Good at it..*
147 posts

Posted:
Im like native!!!! i complently zone out when im twirling..... i hear nothin around me what so ever. i put myself in a state where im speadin me love and passion all over the world, to me fire bro's and sis. We share such an amazing gift, that there should be no negativity at all. (unles your jealous of course) hehe... "did i say that out loud" redface

I have seen Bender twirl.... he's good, he looks so carm and knows excactly what he is doin and feels hug Its a real shame that he has to bite his tongue. It should have be that way.

I thought i would add that in angel2

grouphug

watching the world go by!!!!

Trick ferret on the making hehe!!!!
Everybodyknows me as (TriX)

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
The ONLY time I zone is when the music I am twirling to I really really love... Then I seem to loose my inhibitions and really shake my ass and dance with it... otherwise I tend to think about the moves I am doing instead of lettin it flow...

I suppose thats a shame cause I twirl for myself not anybody else, and some of the most amazing spins I have ever had are when I was by myslef and flowing to the music on my ear phones.

Oh and once in a HUGE crowd of spinners at the splendor in the grass concert spinning to Sonic Animation... that was a spiritual experience. The music helped me to let the spirit flow into my poi and FUNK IT UP * big grins on my face too~!*

I think that some people have never seen me twirl properly cause I become very shy, espically around fantastic twirlers and I am a wee bit embrassed so I just become robot like and freak out that I am gunna be censored, espically in front of twirlers I look up to Dev Kev and blue cato... I know with more self confidence I will overcome that.... I think things that put me off are.... people hurling abuse, kids running around, drunks running around, and.....arsn without a shirt on... (grin)

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
coming from a martial arts back ground- i find it very disturbing to 'zone out' in any fashion, i found that i become more aware of what is around me and i lose concious track of where the staff is, but i know that i'm safe inside my little fire bubble...i dunno..it just makes me calmer to be there than try and solely concentrate on the staff, is that wierd?

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Written by: bender™

perhaps i should smile more.
i continue to surprise myself at how little my facial expression reflects my internal state when i twirl - so unpeaceful!
to be sure a good twirl creates a smile - perhaps i should look more at how a smile can cause a good twirl also!
i haven't been twirling for as long as a lot of people, and i have heard some killah mean comments from other firetwirlers, as recent as last week!
to react with likeminded meaness would diminish the passion of it all, so i take it smile
methinks it's better to sustain a bruised pride than a diminished spark in me!

YES!!!

A friend of mine asked me one time, "Do you enjoy spinning?"

I said, "Of course!!"

She said, "THEN SMILE. You have serious monkey face when you spin...you look so serious....show everyone how much you love it!"

The next time I performed in front of folks, I smiled, and can I tell you the difference it made in spinning?? I felt lighter, and more free than I ever felt. It took two simple words to help me relax and progress.

If you enjoy spinning, and you're not spinning to any theatrical choreography that requires serious face, then SMILE!!

bounce A smile goes a long way...it can turn a bad day into a good day, and vanquish a bad mood in an instant. biggrin

I try to remember that when I get stressed...it helps.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Yea, smiling is awsome biggrin it can make everyones day.

Its not good to be down on it man, you might just have to put it off (save it up) untill your leg is healed then you can go BALISTIC with those crazy tiger swords biggrin ubblol I personally guarantee, noone in their right mind is going to diss you while your within 10 jedi feet of those things wink and you will feel alot better.

Usually i make friends with those types...be REAL nice wink i tell u, it un nerves them like nothing. ubblol But im sure this is connected to your leg issue, and once that is all good everything will fit back together like a jigsaw puzzle. So take care and no more injuries! peace 1 day the sunny will come out and those guys will footinmouth their own mad2

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I don't really lose concentration. I lose ability, but only when i'm drunk. biggrin

As for people shouting out orders, i don't pay any attention to the audience when i spin. I just do my thing.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
maybe "zone out" isent a good term for this, not for me at least its more of a detatched extra concentrated state

spun in the rain last night with my lovely poi sisters, it was beautiful, okay its was surreal too

peace, happy spinning

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

6,978 posts

Posted:
but there is an invisible interplay when u twirl!
of course you can't see it, but certainly when twirler and audience and musicians bounce energy off each other, it is certainly felt.
it is this interplay that gets broken for me, it is worth more than money smile