Forums > Technical Discussion > Shellsol in the UK (plymouth)

Login/Join to Participate

StoneTBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
It seems to me that, by consensus, the best fuel for firespinning is Juggleart's Firewater. That is not available over here in the UK frown so the next best thing seems to be Shellsol TK.
I have just spoken to a very helpful guy in the local shell depot (plymouth) about Shellsol (and explained the concept of fire spinning / poi etc.) the result of which being Shellsol TK is not available in europe at all,mad2 but the nearest availble substitute is Shellsol T.
Having looked at the data sheets it seems to be a reasonable substitute.
MSDS shows-
Slightly higher flashpoint - Less dangerous
No noticable difference in toxicity
Slightly less pure (98% paraffins instead of 99.8%)

See here for MSDS's (For Shellsol T see Shellsol T/TD)

Looks worth a try! biggrin

BUT! It only comes in 25l containers, £123.12 each! censored
However, that comes to about £5 a litre which is not OTT as far as I'm concerned.
So... Would anyone in the devon area like to form a syndicate to buy a drum?
grouphug

(I'll also be posting this on spherculism.com)

Mags - watching police torches drawing closer - runs over to his poi:
"Maybe now would be a good time to have another burn, we might not get another chance..."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Or for Falmouth? biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

StoneTBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
Well.. I don't know, that being cornish and all...

Oh, OK I'll let cornish poiple this time wink

"Maybe now would be a good time to have another burn, we might not get another chance..."

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
the people that sell me shellsol TK tell me that the difference in name is in the name of ShellSol T.

Plz be aware that:

*you need some water to wash your hands with after you handle it.

*if you want to save by buying the next size up (200Lt) then you will have to buy an expensive Barrel pump with which to safely access it.

*Shell marks the drums as hazardous chem. In some places (like bridges) it is an offence to drive through carrying this stuff.

*It is an industrial solvent used in the manufacture of aluminium (rolling), and ostansibly for freal hippies to firedance with wink

pain in the bum bum to procure, but excellent clean flame, brighter than kero. negligible smoke. I don't use anyhting else. love it! ubblove
EDITED_BY: bender™ (1091075480)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Suggest checking out Pegasol, a similar product to Shellsol TK, but manufactured by Mobil, I think.

And a bender suggests there are a range of products in the Shellsol series, the TK being the one suitable for our purposes. Ditto with Pegasol, I would imagine.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

StoneTBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
Actually, I made a mistake. redface

The product originally used in Australasia WAS Shellsol T but now it's unavailable there so they use TK. Is that right Bender? confused

Will investigate Pegasol though. thankx

I Believe it's Pegasol 3440 ...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Yes that's kinda right StoneT. We used to buy Shellsol T and they changed the name to Shellsol TK, a year of so back.

Keep the Pegasol option going. It just depends on what is easy to get locally.

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I must look like a terrorist, cus they ask for ID for all purchasers nowadays. eek

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always