Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
Does anyone use Henna/Mehndi tattoos? and if so, what areas of the body would work well when doing poi? Obviously the palms of the hands are out because they cannot be seen when spinning.

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
I do mehndi on myself and other people...

you can still do it on the palms of your hands, I spin with an open hand any way, I often henna around the back of my hands and up my arms also, my feet, or navel or whereever, really. I just did a party the other night where just about everyone had it done on their lower backs...for performance you would really want it to be dark and bold so you could see what it was. you would want to do the design a few days before performing so the design could darken out, yet not wear off yet.

natural henna will stain better on thick hand and feet skin than on body skin, however you can get it to go darker on body skin by putting a splash of essential oils in the paste like tea tree, cajeput or lavendar or all of the above about 12 hours after you first mix it with lemon juice or other acidic thing. if you do this you need to keep the design warm (I use a barley bag I put in the microwave if its not a warm day) and moist (I also steam the design over a teapot) . Its also important to get fresh henna powder if you are making your own, since stale powder which has been sitting on a shelf for 6 months doesnt stain well. I have had good results from castleart.com henna. you can keep powder and paste in the freezer for when you need to use it. If you leave paste out for more than a few days it will also release all its dye and not work very well.

whatever you do! dont use 'black henna'! it contains hair dye which is poisonous and can cause burns and allergic reactions, kidney damage and worse. natural all the way baby!

Pere
(ps. https://www.hennapage.com
for recipes and stuff like that)

jexXymember
37 posts

Posted:
My asian friend uses mustard oil too, i think its any oil which has some heat. Also instead of water u can use strong tea to mix with the henna powder which produces a darker colour.
I think henna patterns trailing up the spine beginning at the small of ur back are beautiful. also round the wrist and up the arm starting from the back of the hand are cool. all over your back would be wicked but i doubt u wanna spin with just a bra on hehe!

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
i've never mixed the paste with plain water...you need to mix it with something acidic to release the dye...tea, lemon juice, coffee, grapefruit juice, vinegar....water with chlorine in it would actually be bad (like my sucky treated water)
the oils i use might cause warming but they are more in there for their oxidizing properties (hence, darker stain) than for the heat. a lot of traditional recipes include cloves or clove oil for the same reason but I am sensitive to it so i dont use it...

people tell me my henna smells so good they want to eat it! yuk! i also put sugar in it to keep it from drying out too quickly. and then sometimes i just randomly put stuff like cardamon or juniper oil or rose water in it for fun to see what happens

Pere