ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Ok, this is more of an open question than anything else... I keep hearing that most burns are from the metal (that holds the wicking or the chain?), and not the flame itslef...That makes me think... is there any way to make the metal safer? Or use something other than metal?I know that various materials are used in ovens and things so that they cool off quicker, or don't get so hot to begin with.Has anyone done any research into this? It seems like only the end nearest the flame is affected by this, so wouldn't need to use a lot if it was more expensive...Maybe it isn't worth the trouble, but then again it seems like any little bit helps?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've wondered about this myself. Kevlar itself is pretty strong stuff, and is obviously fire-resistant. So it might be possible to make a wick that is bound in kevlar twine, and use more kevlar twine instead of a chain.Ceramics (as seen in kilns, etc) would not be appropriate because of the brittleness. That would be like making equipment out of very porous rock.My own approach in the equipment I make is to try to minimize the exposed metal.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.. the kevlar idea sounds interesting. I just read back my original message and I was kind of ambiguous with the oven comment. Was thinking more along the lines of cookware and handles of things instead of the ovens themselves...However, I know some ceramics can be made to be stronger than steel, but I have no idea on the heat properties of that stuff...

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
If your repetatively getting burned fro your metal parts, spray them with a BBQ or Engine specification spray paint. You can get them from local DIY stores quite cheap.They dont prevent the metal heating up if stationary but they do help dispel heat a bit quicker.hope i could help. smile