Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
How the heck has there been no World Cup thread?! I'm no soccer fanatic but I do enjoy the game every once in a while... and this year's amazing! Greatest win in US recent history, Defending champs on life support, England over Argentina...

C'mon, where's the taunting? Where's the bragging? Where's the national fanaticsm bottled up into violent rage over a completely insignificant sporting event?!

Or are we all going to wait and see what country wins, then go out and buy the jersey and pretend like we had it since we were 10?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
wasn't in there sorry bud.

and NYC, they didn't advance on their own merit, it's just that the other game went there way... bah, i can't think of the teams right now..

not to not love america, just to point out...

up for grabs tho, since the two favourites are out..

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Korea Kyrian

I knew that silly

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
thanks

bit of a brain fart this morning, seeing as how i hadn't slept and all....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Pragmember
17 posts

Posted:
We just beat Denmark -We're in to the last 8!! Oh my god oh my god oh my god!!!!

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
And what a great game. England were really on the ball 3-0 3-0 3-0

Are we nearly there yet?

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
well i don't believe in the world cup.
i mean, how can you possibly make a cup that's big enough to fit the whole world in?
Non-Https Image Link

wherever you go, there you are.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well, just to prove my point about US apathy...

The US just beat mexico 2-0 to advance to the round of 8 FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE 1930. And the morning newscast this morning had this for sports (in this order).

1) Mets beat Yankees (baseball)
2) Liberty wins (women's basketball)
3) Tiger Woods winning (golf)

No mention of the US team or the victory!

So again, if anyone's had an overdose of the World Cup... drop by my country... "The United States completely disavows any knowledge of the event"

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
wahoo US! lol, i'm never normal. i had no idea though until i read ur post NYC. whichh shoudl tell teh rest of you guys sumtin.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
In all fairness, it was mentioned on the evening news....

And thistle, if you just take a cup and place it upside down on the ground, then fly to Australia, you're standing on top of the world which is all balanced on your cup. Henseforth, you can have a world cup.

In fact, I'll go do that right now. ...

There, now everyone in Australia and New Zealand is standing on a very large planet which is balanced on my very small tea cup.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
There, now everyone in Australia and New Zealand is standing on a very large planet which is balanced on my very small tea cup.
I really admire lateral thinking... that's the trippiest antipodean concept I've ever heard!!!!!
I will soooo be thanking you next time I say hullo to the lysergic candyman! what an unreal idea!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Yes, NYC...good one, dude.

And did you see Spain vs. Ireland? wOOt!

Maximus
(longtime Manchester United fan)

6,978 posts

Posted:
My Slavepit too has a world cup *cough* bandwagon *cough* sweepstakes - I've drawn England. innit with a chance, baby!
I'm supporting Senegal tho - they've won already, being the second African Nation to get this far, ever! I'd throw a public holiday too
woot woot wooT!
The world needs some good news for a change.

"So Posh spice, do you want Brooklyn to grow up to be a soccer player like Becks or a singer... like Mariah Carey?"
- Ali G

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
NYC.....lol..... i think yo might need to sleep more tho

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

splerphBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
Wow did anyone see the Korea - Italy game last night. That crowd was amazing I have never seen so many people dressed in the same team's colours!

I'm supporting Senegal as well. Aussie spirit always go for the underdog!
I've got spain in my sweepstake at work is that good? Do I have a chance?

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
This write up of the US/Mexico game may help you yank's understand the game a bit better.

But some of you guys may have to read this first

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
NYC I admire the way your mind works...Only you misread the name on the post. I believe whole-heartedly in the world cup, It's mind the gap who does not

[ 20 June 2002, 03:58: Message edited by: Thistle ]

Are we nearly there yet?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Thistle, my bad.

And Dom, it took me a second read for me to figure out the sarcasm. I didn't realize that 7th grade reading level type sports articles were purely an American thing.

Keep in mind, pretty much every article in the US on soccer is written in that "We'll break it down for the reader since they really have no idea what's going on as nobody follows soccer" kind of simplicity anyway... so the parody is quite honest.

Though the article didn't mention Kobe Jones who's basically the only player who anyone would recognise anyway. I think the rest of the team could show up at my school and NO ONE would recognise ANY of them. Including me.

Though, honestly talking soccer for a second, I think that these upsets are getting crazy. Though my feeling is this weekend the remaining "big boys" are going to spank these Cinderella upstarts and the Final Four will look much more like something we're used to...

Look for Germany, Spain, Brasil, and whoever's going to get destroyed by Brasil to advance. Though I won't rule out England until the final whistle.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
No kidding regarding U.S. apathy towards the World Cup.... you can't even find a soccer jersey to wear to support your home team (or any other team). I love soccer and the World Cup is amazing... I think I did see minor news coverage of the U.S. win, but it just isn't as appreciated here as elsewhere in the world.. Let's see if people start to pay more attention after this weekend? Doubtfull, especially with the time slots, but hey... You all enjoy the games you can stay up for (or wake up for)....
peace

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
GO SENEGAL GO SENEGAL GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Pragmember
17 posts

Posted:
Now being half french, I would out of natural instincts agree with Cassandra. But NO WAY!!!!!!
Common England!!!

6,978 posts

Posted:
30 mins to the match of the series! gooooo england!!!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
HA HA! England lost... (two seconds later)... D'oh!

Well, we didn't win but at least we showed the world that we can play dirty (23 fouls and 5 cards!)... I guess the nice thing about being an underdog in soccer is you get props if you play well.

So all five of us US fans can get back to our regularly scheduled lives now... and the bottom right corner of page 6 of the sports pages will have more room for women's basketball coverage.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
lol

well, it was nice to see odd looking teams in the eight...

now back to our regular programming

but i want to watch the rest of the games if i can just find times for them.....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yikes... Well I was happy to see Korea advance, until I saw the replay. So far Italy and Spain beat Korea but got beaten by partial referees... I wonder how many goals Germany will have called back.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BigPantsmember
99 posts

Posted:
No more world cup talk please its too hard to even think about anymore. England didn't deserve to win the brazil game, so although i'm devistated, at least we lost to the best. So come on Brazil, you are the best team by far, and deserve to win. The Turkish have to go out today, its a wonder that they got this far.

The bigger the pants the better!

Page: