TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I discovered this morning that my 1969 Morris Minor (which I'd been given as a 21st birthday present) was stolen some time between 11.30 last night when I got back from the pub and about midday when a friend came over and asked where my car was.

Inside my car were:
3 fire staves (2 home-made)
1 fire poi set
1 home-made tennis ball/glowstick practice poi set
2 sig fuel bottles (costing about £10 each)
a socket set that was owned by my grandad
a box of 16 minidisks - about half of which were compilations made by myself that I have no tracklistings for, the other half were mainly recordings of albums I no longer have.

The one bit of good luck was that when I went down the road to see if it'd been dumped pretty close, I found the staves lying on the pavement - They'd obviously been far too bulky to fit in the car with the bastards who were taking it.

The thing that's really galling, is that the staves (being 5 feet long) only just fit into the car in the first place, to get them out of the car, they would have had to stop, get out and manhandle the staves out through the driver's door, which only has a clearance of a few inches.
The fact that they felt confident enough to stop and do this only 4 houses down the road really makes me angry.

Actually, it makes me more angry since I wasn't exactly calm after discovering the car was missing.
People just don't seem to like that car, it's had a variety of car doors being slammed into the sides, it's been keyed a couple of times, dented by cars trying to park next to it, 1 wingmirror completely ripped off and the other smashed in half - I'm now fully expecting to find it burnt out or smashed up like my first car

[ 09 June 2002, 03:10: Message edited by: TheBovrilMonkey ]

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
At risk of sounding like Victor Meldrew:

I don't believe it!!

My parents found my car about 2 roads away, with no damage at all - It was even locked

Out of all the stuff in the car, only the socket set and some pliers are missing, and for some reason, half a packet of peanut M&Ms were left in their place.

This just makes it even more confusing, why would someone take the car, throw out my staves, turn it round and then park it just down the road?
This is just incredably odd, but I don't really care anymore - I have my car back

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Sweet man! Congratulations on finding your car again. They just wanted to take a car for a spin... well. Ride.

And they were kind enough to leave you a little "I'm sorry" gift.

Once again Congratulations
Kinudin

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
A friend of mine had an old, beat-up clunker that was constantly giving him trouble. But he was a mechanical engineering student, so he was always underneath the thing fixing it. He sounded like Scotty from "Star Trek" most of the time. He had this love/hate relationship with the thing.

But he never locked the car. He just taped a little sign to the dash that said "I'm warning you: if you steal this car, you deserve it!"

Never got stolen.

TMB, congrats on getting your car back. Did you check to see how much gas they used?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I like happy endings

I really have to ask though........

did you eat the M&M's?

[ 09 June 2002, 10:05: Message edited by: Spiral ]

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
lol, no, I didn't eat the M&Ms - I wasn't going to push my luck.

I did check the petrol, it's about as full as it was when I parked it, so they can't have driven it around much.

Another really odd thing that I've noticed after thinking about it, is that the car was locked when my dad found it and that it hadn't actually been broken into or hotwired.

We're assuming that it was just someone who tried their key in the door for a joke (I know it's not secure, my key opens and starts the car even when upside down) and then drove off because they could.
We also reckon that one of the reasons it was dumped was because it's a beast to drive unless you know how to caress it. Morris Minor gearboxes arn't known for their ease of use

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Maybe it was pixies (they can use magic and don't need keys) But they, being teeny, couldn't see to steer. So, rather than being reckless, they thought they'd better continue on foot.

Just a thought.

Meh

AlienfoxSILVER Member
130 posts

Posted:
Let consider the facts kids –

“I discovered this morning that my 1969 Morris Minor (which I'd been given as a 21st birthday present) was stolen some time between 11.30 last night when I got back from the pub and about midday ..”

And you were HOW pissed?

I don’t think we need Mulder just jet

Alienfox

- Alienfox -

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
mmmmm forbidden pixie m&m's...
hey.. nice to see you got yer car back!

i had my car stolen 'bout 4 months ago, and then just a few nights ago some mentally challenged fellows tried to steal it again, but it doesn't actually run at the moment, so they popped the hood, and stole random pieces of my engine!!!!
makes you think, no?

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Alienfox:

And you were HOW pissed?

Actually, I don't drink anymore so I was stone cold sober, and even if I was drunk, there'd be no way I'd throw my staves out of the car - it takes far too much effort to make another one

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Yeah but you could've left the car a few streets away and decided to stagger drunkenly home clutching your staffs. Then stopped to do something and left the stafs behind.....

In this imaginary world where you drink and park your car in the wrong place.

I like Alienfox's explaination best. It's the one I'm going to believe.

Meh

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
Maybe you were driving in your sleep. People have done that kind of stuff before - like that guy that chopped up his in laws with an axe and got off on temporary insanity because he was asleep the whole time.

I actually had something similar happen to me the other day - but it was my purse in an Easy Everything in Barcelona. This guy showed me where it was and the only thing missing was five euros. Crazy world we live in.

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.