AlienfoxSILVER Member
130 posts

Posted:
I'm starting up a Staff/Poi/Whatever night in Portsmouth. Have a kool venue, just need to pick a day.
Will probably start wednesday 19th.

Let me know if you are interested.

Bambam said she spoke to a HoP'er who was at porchester castle last weekend. Who was that?
We were doing it in the far corner, facing the stage.

- Alienfox -

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Did you also post this thread in events? If not I think you ought to. People might take notice of it then.

Meh

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing! I won't be around until the middle of next month, but count me in after that. What's the venue?

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

AlienfoxSILVER Member
130 posts

Posted:
C@ntus
Cheers for the heads-up. Event’s sounded a bit grand
I’ll repost once I confirm the date then. Cheers.

Jephyre
I’ve agreed the Workshop. It’s a disused factory behind St Marys Church. The room is a bit small, but high and we can use their decks. And I’m told there is a roof and the back car park we can use.

- Alienfox -

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Sounds good. Do you know many people that poi in portsmouth? I know there's a few in the directory here.

J

AlienfoxSILVER Member
130 posts

Posted:
Well I work at Avalon, and we sell poi/staff/etc.
So I have first contact with many new poiers.
I intend to indoctrinate them immediately into my cult. …did I say that, or just think it…

The Fawcet Inn has quite a few poi’ers. When the side bar is not being used for drug fuelled parties, you can just go in and start swinging.

Pop into Avalon any time, I’ll be the one who is being paid to practice staff all day.
Get you a discount and everything.

Alienfox

- Alienfox -

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ooh you'll regret saying that....

You ought to rephrase it so it only applies to Jephyre unless you meant it for everyone.
I did similar a while back with an offer to design something for someone and got swamped with requets. Then some silly australian resurfaced the thread at xmas and I got swamped again.

Meh

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Me me me....Ooooh moment of fame, moment of fame. It was me at Portchester Castle, we saw you guys in the corner just before the fireworks kicked off. We came over to see you, and get away from the crowd, skin up & have a quick spin with my comet poi. Did love to see the way it finished at 11-ish and was empty by about 3 mins past.
My mates Laura & Fiona were spinning fire in front of the stage (which was cool), to some crappy 60's rock & roll band (Oh well you can't pick the venues I suppose).
Avalon is wicked BTW - Many a happy smoking incident followed a quick mission to Avalon for gauzes, rizla, bongs etc....Happy daze

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

AlienfoxSILVER Member
130 posts

Posted:
Nah fuck it…if anyone comes in and mentions HoP I’ll give them a discount. If they can get the words ‘alien’ and ‘fox’ into a sentence without alerting the manager, or other staff, then I’ll give you a staff discount.
(now that I may regret!)

Small Boy
Kool…I was the bald guy who kept dropping his staff, and got a lovely branding scar just on the soft tender flesh inside my elbow, from the poi.
Did I sell you the comet poi? Didn’t see you playing. You should have come and had a go.

Didn’t meet Laura of Fiona, but I got Naomi’s number. Are L. and F. local? I’m going to run at the Workshop next week - even if it is a small group – once I have agreed a time (I clash with Yoga at the mo)

When the fireworks kicked off I gave the video camera to a mate and said “Quick film me!”
Grabbed my staff, lit up, ran to the middle of that field and had a play.
All the way home he was telling me how cool it looked.
When we get back the conversation went something like:

Alienfox: “Eeer..why is there nothing on the tape? Did you press the record button?”
Mike: “Is there a record button?”

Muppet!
Serves me right for being such a tart!

C@ntus
So you offered to design stuff for people, great I need a flyer for PiP (Poi in Portsmouth!)

Am I going to piss people off calling it that?

Alienfox

- Alienfox -

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
lol no u wont.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
what am i doing in the social section???? i never post here.
cantus have we started a PIP fad or what?.. i dunno these kids huh.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You can't beat a good idea PK. Everyone just wants to join in before it explodes worldwide. That's my theory anyhoo.

I don't do flyers. Well I haven't done any before. And I'm not to reliable anyway. Look at that for salesmanship I still owe loads of people stuff form ages ago. If I get through my back log and you still want something designing then we can discuss it.

People never ever offer me money - that's another problem.....

Meh

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
You get paid to practice staff? Damn, you have a good job! I'll make sure I come and say hi when I get back. How long have you been doing poi and staff?

So far PIP = Poi in the park (original, London), Poi in the Piazza (Warwick uni), Poi in Paris and Poi in Portsmouth!

J

2,737 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Naomi was the juggler that kept dropping stuff and setting the grass on fire (Woman after my own heart).
Laura & Fi are Gosport girls and Laura wants to know where and when.
She also said she'd drop into Avalon at nearest opportunity. No you didn't sell me my poi, I bought them up here in Camden, and it was dark when I was spinning.
PS - that wasn't a staff it was half a tree.
All Cool?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Jephyre:

So far PIP = Poi in the park (original, London)

J

poi in the park started in the north back in december last year after we spread the word for people to meet up and spin, funnily enough it was a very cold and snowy december afternoon around 2pm and sudenly after an hour of jumping and spinning in the snow there was maybe 20+ of us getting very wet and cold, but it was so much fun so we have done it every month since, london was a knock off by dom and glass and carrey 3 of my HOP buddies (*big northern hugs*) romour has it that there was a PIP in canada, even NYC held a one man PIP on the same day as clapham, anyway dom has renamed the bi monthly meet to some thing else, but its good to hear that the PIP thing is going off every where, would be good to see some footage and pics from some of these events. I so would love to goto to PIP paris but have no way to fund a trip after this past weekend, man i need to find some money arghh. all sorts of weird variations to make poi in the *** lol its kewl.
any way enjoy poi meets every where, its just the best thing ever, i have met so many nice people over the past few months, you know who you are guys.

cantus* damn another post in the social* what am i doing?... lol i am allways in the events section, lucky i came in here i spotted cassandras post for davy's departing, aww will be sad to see him go.
oh well looks a good future ahead, thats where i am heading right now.....
take care guys

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I was going to make a joke about there being an impromtu PIP in Cyberdog (I'm told) the day before Clapham. But I couldn't think of anything for the second p to represent. I think I'm losing my powers. Usually the lame jokes just flow......

Poi in the......popular clubwear shop.....

*looks sheepish and goes off to bang head on the wall in the hope of sudden inspiration*

Meh

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Poi'd - Sorry, I meant (original and london). I do realise it started up there, I'm just too lazy to press the extra 3 keys.

J

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
lol
yeah that spin we had in cyberdog was way kewl, i hear now they employ some one to spin there on a sunday fer 4.10 an hour... lol fuck that i charge 75 quid the tight ba****ds, a big name like them they should pay good money fer a skilled job.

J i thought thats what u meant, but i thought i should post it anyway. like i say its good to hear whats going on and where and so on.
erm cov i aint been there in a few years still aint changed? lol

AlienfoxSILVER Member
130 posts

Posted:
C@ntus

Only joking about the flyers – just trying to restart a get C@ntus to do stuff thread

Jephyre
Yea, pays crap. But who cares. I have been doing poi since eer..novemberish.
Staff – eer not sure, about 3 months. A very nice man (called Dave I believe) gave me my first staff lesson in the Viaduct (Vaxhall). I’ve got the basics, but really need to skill share a bit – hence PiPortsmouth.
Also I’m a bit limited by what moves I can practice in the shop.
Just started practising double staff after the sage videos. (Go girl )

Small Boy
Shame Laura and Fi dissapeared so fast.

“PS - that wasn't a staff it was half a tree”

What ours? We had a 4’ and a 5’. And my first burn was with a saturated potassium chloride solution.

I've just seen the roof of the venue I want to use, and it's massive

Alienfox

- Alienfox -

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Poi'd - depends. Was it full of gimps dressed in trainers, white jeans, Kappa/Adidas jackets and caps when you were round these parts? Only three weeks left to go now...

Alienfox - Haven't tried doubles yet, been too busy trying to get the hang of single staff. Meeting other people is definitely the best way to learn. I picked up so many new tricks at PiP London just from watching people.

J

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
i was at cov uni for 4 years until about 3 years ago, and it was full of townie football hoooooliguns in kappa tracksuits then...

still, you have to laugh at them... IOm in leicester now, which is much better... (waiting for a barrage of abuse from coventry-ites... and PK... I seem to remember he was from leic and left at the first opportunity!!!)

jephre, are you still doing poi at warwick?... might try and come over for a twirl before you all break up for the summer....

b:)

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Yep. We've got sanctioned use of the piazza for most of the next two weeks. I'm not sure exactly what days, but I'll try to find out tonight and let you know. Be good to see you down here again.

J

[ 14 June 2002, 02:46: Message edited by: Jephyre ]

2,737 posts

Posted:
We had to go off for a smoke - Priorities and all that...........
Message me your number & I'll pass it on.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
some things are best left alone catboy... you know what i mean, i aint saying nowt about leicester cept i try never to go back. *full stop*

j sounds about right that description of cov, was full of em.

2,737 posts

Posted:
Oh and yeah, definitely half a tree.
A 5' stick is nearly as big as me..........

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Just wondering if anything happened last night?

J