NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
I do alot of workshops for kids and need alot of equipment but cant afford expensive gear, has anyone got any ideas on making

poi, clubs, juggling balls, staff, devil stick etc

juggle

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
tryt doing a search on 'making (insert toy name here)'. most stuff has already had fairly extensive discussion... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
...apart from Clubs

Do you mean juggling clubs or swining clubs?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
You can make clubs out of 2letre soda bottles a dowel and electrical tape, or out of rolled up newspaper and electrical tape. I tried to find a link to instructions but had no luck. maybee I'll draw them up and scan it.

Balls - birdseed and balloons. Fill a balloon with birdseed to the size you like, suck out the air and tie it off. Then put that balloon in another balloon knot side down, repeat 3 times.

Poi - socks with added weight at the end (ball, wadded up sock, birdseed...)

Staff - broom handles are great

Devil stick - kids should learn with crystal sticks or butterfly sticks. A bit more complicated. Get three dowels wrap them in tennis racket tape or some soft rubbery tape. Take about a foot of doubbled up cloth 3" thick. Frey one end and wrap around the ends of one stick. You can glue it or use small srews.

If you know your way arround a devilstick try a length of metal tubing with nothing on it. Use sticks with the rubber tape. Your devil stick is now a musical instrument. biggrin

For kids try silks, easy as cutting squares out of a few yards of synthetic silk.

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

TKOFmember
44 posts

Posted:
woo woo woo you like gnarr kill you god dam goth boy666 666 666 666 666 lots of love dan

the end is nigh and now comence the time of the retarded badger

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
hey thanx guys, il look in2 it

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
Written by: TKOF

woo woo woo you like gnarr kill you god dam goth boy666 666 666 666 666 lots of love dan

what's all that about? confused

that ballon idea's quite nice cody. thanks man cos they'd make good presents if decorated... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I was at the cirque du soleil store in the Belagio, Las Vegas. They were selling the exact same thing. They uesd different colored balloons and cut little slits in the them to expose the different colors. I see it as sacraficing integrity of the baloon for style. There cheap so you could do it, but they spew birdseed when they break.

I'm trying to figure out if I know TKOF and why they would find me especially gothic? confused

Cody Canon

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
he was on bout me, hes my m8 dan bit crazy in the head

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
rice or barley would be even cheaper than birdseed smile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I put balloons on my poi balls as well.....with the different colours showing.

I like the devil stick idea.... hug hug

Good luck with it all.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I use dried beans in the balloons.
I also put dried beans in a balloon and put those in the end of the socks for the poi.

For the staff, while broomsticks work very well, you can also cut tennis balls and electical tape them to the ends so the kids don't split an eye open when the mess up.

You don't even have to buy silk for the juggling silks. Lightweight synthetic cloth is even cheaper and works just as well. Run the frayed end through a candle to keep it from fraying (silk you should sew a hem into) and boom! you are done.

Rola Bolas, you can buy a length of plywood and get grippy sports tape (like for skateboards). Cut the plywood into your desired length and widths, screw stops made from scrap wood onto the bottom. Get a piece of PVC from Home Depot (need to remember the guage, but they come in 10ft lengths for $10) and have them cut it into 1 ft lengths. You end up with about 10 rola bola's for about $20 and a bit of your time.

Hope this helps!
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
ok. after trying the balloon idea i just ended up spraying dried peas all over the kitchen as the ballon expelled them back out the funnel was using to try an get them in. any tips? or am i just a muppet? rolleyes

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Try larger balloons or don't stuff the ones you have too much. I don't force any (filling) into them. Fill the balloon untill it's full, take off the funnell, suck the air out with your mouth and tie it off. More implode than explode to get the ball taunt. wink

Cody Canon

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
hey thanx i got some fun for the weekend smile

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
we used to make holes in the balloons in random places, and layer them 4 or more layers deep, to make sure they wouldnt split. but we were using them as stress balls.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
If your using them as stress balls fill the balloons with flower (the stuff you bake with) feels really cool, but I think the birdseed or other mentioned stuff works better for juggling. biggrin

Cody Canon

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
Great way of making the balls. I used to make them with rice and balloons though I used to wrap the rice in plasticwrap, cut the necks (the very top where you blow it up) off the balloons and just pop the plastic wraped rice bags in the opening and layer it with other balloons with holes in them for layering. This just means you don't have to tie any knots or mess around with funnels.
juggle
With making poi I have found the best cheapest thing to use for your strings is colourful skipping ropes, I attatch tennis balls to the end, though you can use various things.
weavesmiley
Broomsticks for the staffs is the go, you can funk them up with a bit of colourful book contact.
peace
For the devil sticks inner rubber tyre tubing is good and cheap for the grip. Also frey the rubber and wrap it around the ends for weight and decoration.
bounce
Have fun and experiment, teaching kids the art of circus can be one of the most satisfying things you can do.
bounce2
Good Luck
ubblovemajik

Live, love, laugh and dance!