Forums > Social Discussion > Falmouth World Record Attempt? Help!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, this came up out of a random post on Firetoys.

Everyone likes to see how high you can throw a diabolo (and catch it) so we wondered what the world record was - I got in contact with the Guiness Book of Records and know what it was?

Nothing biggrin It has yet to be set - which means whoever "sets" it will be the world record holder (although admittedly not for a very long time wink )

I've got all the official requirements, rules, regulations and forms etc to make this all official - So I thought the Falmouth weekend would be a good time to try and set it smile

Now, the trouble is - measuring it. Aside from working out the height through particularly complex mathmatics - the GBoWR says it has to be a "over a bar" type affair (like the high jump basically)

Now, I know I can throw a diabolo VERY high - as in at least 20m - so how the flip can we set that up? It has to be adjustable so the bar can keep on being raised (the bar doesn't have to be loose) and it has to be measurable

So I was thinking - get a cliff, get a long straight pole, measure from the pole to the ground, and stand at the bottom of the cliff to measure the height... A window would be easier - but that requires a lot of very high windows which could possibly get broken ubblol . Are there any suitable cliffs in/near Falmouth? Does anyone have a REALLY long tape measure?

Any ideas anyone - and also, anyone up for taking part in setting the world record? biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Cool - that's 5 video cameras there!! biggrin

Er - I've also got us some media interest... More info soon wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
so.... what happened?? did anyone set a new record or did the bamboo pole crash land in the sea?

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, there was too much wind during the day and when it had finally died down in the evening the air had gotten too cold so the balloons didn't get very high (and the gas didn't do as many balloons as we thought it would).

We lobbed it over anyway, but no-one recorded the height smile

I think it was officially a tie wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
you're just saying that cuz dude man beat the lot of ya! tongue

Let's relight this forum ubblove

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
hey, couldn't you just make it up, how will the guiness book of records ever know? at least it went over a pole biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

sancheznewbie
5 posts

Posted:
erm hi i think i might have made a record i was 11 at the time and i was spinning fire does any body know if this is a record of some sort...im dykes lil brother and i was there for the final night down at meanporth...does any1 remember me...probably not but anywho if u know if it is a record of some sort please reply...thank you

sancheznewbie
5 posts

Posted:
i was at falmouth and i was down at meanporth for the final night...erm i was 11 at the time and i was spinning fire does any body know if this is a record of some sort...if u do know please reply sorry durbs if im invading but it is quite important to me...i wonder if any1 remembers me im dykes lil bro...thank you

sancheznewbie
5 posts

Posted:
oops sorry for posting it twice

Page: