evolsoulxjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
what are the tail's on some practice poi supposed to be there for? are they there just to look like a flame trail?

also, would poi with or with out a tail be better for a noob like me?

BOMBS TERRORIST AIRPORT AIRPLANE HOSTAGE ALLAH JIHAD SUICIDE BOMB HIJACK

have you tested the patriot act recently?

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
tails are there too look pretty.

peeeerrrrsonally, ive never owned any tails but always wished i had some, cos they loook nice. but having tails make some tricky moves even trickier (impossible?). but since you are new this shouldnt be toooo much of a problem i think. so i reckon get tails smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
tails are lovely to look at but they do limit some moves and stop others. For basics they're good to learn with and will impress your friends quite well but personally socks are my favourite and look good in a differnet way smile

One thing to remember, if you're having fun theyre good enough biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
I'm going to have to disagree with Bug on the practicing with tails thing - I have a pair of ultimate performance pois (you can see them on this site) and while they are very cool for putting on shows they are awful to practice with, they are too light which makes using my heavier fire pois harder and when they get tangled they stay tangled unlike chains which you can simply pull apart.

On the plus side however they don' hurt as much as the fire pois devil and they do look tres cool cool

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

evolsoulxjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
is it stupid to buy the heavier fire pois, and use them without fire? wouldnt that be moreso the safe thing to do so you get more accoustomed to the weight and stuff?

BOMBS TERRORIST AIRPORT AIRPLANE HOSTAGE ALLAH JIHAD SUICIDE BOMB HIJACK

have you tested the patriot act recently?

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
nope - not stupid at all.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Well, you may look kinda stupid if you put on a show with unlit fire pois, but for practicing with they're good. Don't light them until you think you're ready, but you'll probably be ready before you think you are. Have fun peace

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yes, it aint stoopid.
everyone twirls in their own beautiful way.

Your fire technique is an opportunity to find your own centre.
Never allow yourself to be convinced that what others do is more than a serving suggestion.

I am a happy in my anachronism: i twirl heavily wicked poi/practice with tailed poi - i've only been poiing for about 3 years and have entirely missed out on the sock poi revolution.

*cough*staff rocks*cough*

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
*Cough Cough...have to agree with you there Buddy smile*

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

6,978 posts

Posted:
:does a jig wearing a poncho emblazoned with the words "i like to play with my staff": biggrin

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
For playing with unlit fire poi, there's the poi/staf socks the online store sells- those make unlit fire poi look much nicer, and apparently they make a really cool sound too.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Different poi have different feels to them - so it's a matter of personal preferance. I have lots of different kinds of poi, and have recently gone back to tails because they flow so nicely compared to sock poi/chains.

I'm wondering what moves can't be done with tail poi, but can with chains/socks. Maybe I'm just too tired, but anyone care to help me?

6,978 posts

Posted:
perhaps not impossible,
perhaps it is less possible wink
I am reminded of how crap i am at non-staff fire equipment that rhyme with 'doi' smile