Lightwistermember
20 posts

Posted:
Hey all,

I got some fire poi but the flames only last for about 3-4min. Last summer when we were in Cancun, i saw a fire poi performer, perform on stage for about 15 min...can anyone tell me what wicks or fuel he might have been using?

L8r all.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I have found interesting results when mixing fuels, then again I have never seen anything but a staff last that long and thats only because it was in the hands of an idiot who really didnt know what he was doing. Dont ya just love how I talk about myself

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Whew! 15 minutes? I'm not so sure I'd even want to go that long! I'd get tired!

I use cathedral wicks and white gas and get about 5-6 minutes of flame time. My chains are pretty heavy, so that's just about when I'm getting tired, too.

A friend of mine uses kero and has similar pois, but she gets about 7-8 minutes out of them. Kero burns dirtier, though.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fairy Ladymember
63 posts

Posted:
my advice is to just keep relighting. I just wait until both wicks are out then go right back over and refuel, spin off and relight. I have done this many, many times in a row and had no problems. My longest has been about 90 minutes only breaking for the refueling, but a quick note that I could not move my arms 2 days later so you might want to rethink the longer is better idea. As you will learn on HoP longer isn't better it's the way you move your poi
Molly

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I've heard that towel wicks last have a longer burn time (15 - 20 mins) because they can soak up more fuel, but are only useable for maybe 3 or 4 burns. I have no personal experience of this, though, so maybe someone could confirm this?

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Big fat cathedral heads seem to work for a longer burntime. Tempest has some seriously heavy duty heads on his staffs and those puppies never go out.

Not sure about 15 minutes though.

Meh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah, getting cathedral heads made the difference for me. Also, it made the chains heavier so that I could spin if it was windy.

Before, wind would blow the pois into me.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fairy Ladymember
63 posts

Posted:
I just had a bad expeirience with towel wicks. A friend of mine made a staff with them and they would not go out! Luckily we were in a huge sand pit and we finally burried them, but after 15 minutes they we still burning!
Molly