Page:
Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
How do meetings get set up? Can anyone do it or do professionals do it? Do you need some kind of safety thingumy wotsit? Are there limits to where you can do it? I don't know.
confused

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
How do they get set up? You find other spinners in your area that are interested in meeting and set a time/place/date. No, you dont need to be a professional. If you are going to be spinning fire, yes, its best to have a safety. There are often legal limits to where you can do it but it varies depending on where you are. Its best to talk to a fire chief/marshal or the cops even to find out the local laws involving this type of thing.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Cool, cheers.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I agree with Icon. If you approach the fire marshal openly and early they are more willing to work with you. That's what my group did. Have as much info as you can gather ready including MSDS sheets for your fuels, fire extinguishers, how you set up a fuel dump, saftey people, proper clothing, and crowd perimeter. If they don't have a reason not to give you a permit, your good untill someone screws up.

But theres a catch, if you do everything right, your group gets really popular.

We started with three people, six years later I have from 150 to 200 people a night at our wednesday night burn/practice. wink

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Man, that's pretty huge! It would be pretty cool though if you could get 200 peeps doing the same moves at the same time - synchronised cool

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
Written by: Cody

We started with three people, six years later I have from 150 to 200 people a night at our wednesday night burn/practice. wink

Holy cow cody! eek Where do you find the space to fit 200 people? Must look amazing! biggrin

About 4 weeks ago, we started with three people, now there's about 10 (and not enough practice sets). Three people have started to light, anticipating a fourth one next week... smile yay!

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
We have a pretty large park. About 1/3 of the people spin fire, the rest are drummers and people who stop by to watch and socalize. It turns into a weekly Burningman community gathering. People pack up dinner and bring their famlies. Who would have thought that little Reno would have such a huge fire community. Just goes to show anythings possible.

Flame Boy, you bring up an interisting point. This year at Burningman Crimson is trying to get all 625 spinners chroigraphed to do the same thing at the same time. Theres a hugh uproar about this, many people don't like it. But the rehearsals we have in reno look awsome. It's like a wave. The movements are simple (stand up and sit down) but the result is amazing.

One tip if your starting a meeting/gathering. Keep your ego out of it. Teach everyone and anyone and pray they become better than you. Then they will teach you something new. Many fire groups kill themselves because ego and attitude got in the way. Our gorup is very diverse and the enviroment of the meetings is very positive.

If your ever in reno contact me and stop by.
biggrin

Cody Canon

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Katch
I remember when we were in your shoes. Get creative and make some more practice sets. Keep meeting. The most amazing thing I discovered in the proccess was how your frends, just normal people, can beome awsome fire performers. That person that most recently joined and had never picked up poi in thier life. Watch them and in a few years they could be one of the best in the world.
wink

Cody Canon

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Well I have no idea where Reno is (other than in the US), but if I ever do make it that far across the Atlantic I'll try to find you and your posse grouphug
You guys are lucky living in the US, there are so many people so you're bound to find a whole bunch of peeps to poi with; I've only found one other bloke in my area ubbcrying

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Gnor

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

griffinfeminine tiddly pom
505 posts

Posted:
there used to be regular fire meets in cambridge, but the students went/organised it. now they've all gone back home it doesnt happen, but its gonna be started up again. we drew posters and people are gonna write flyers etc
d'ya think this'll work?

in state of metamorphosis

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
LIGHT THE WORLD ON FIRE BABY!!!!

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Not that I don't appreciate your input gnor, but what the smeg has it got to do with anything wink

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
eekI was distracted and posted here..I am sure there was a very good reason redface redface

(I still like socks)

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
the hardest thing is having people that will be there every week all year round. most outdoor meetings only happen during the summer cos everyone gets pathetic about a bit of cold and rain. then if you want to move indoors for the winter ther's more responsibility and often costs incurred. most groups have one dedicated person like Durbs, Spacemonkey, Strugz or PK (now Lollie + Solstice) who keep things afloat and turn up week in week out to look after things....

good luck with setting up the wiltshire meets! wink

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
Cody.... three people lit yesterday (for the first time). They're martial artists on the side, so they could basically do more with the poi than I could (right after picking them up!!!). Our group has grown yet again and last night we had a pretty large audience at the bay area. We also managed to "teach" three street kids and one passerby (audition got moved to tonight so.... wink ) Now our problem is that I don't have enough fire sets ubblol kinda hard to find them in the Philippines.

Flame Boy... at least you found one biggrin I wasn't that lucky wink get a group of your friends together... after a session ask them to bring their friends that might be interested (that's what I did). We also announce the sessions and so even random people come.

Duballstar... you should see the sort of torrential rains we get here. smile Sometimes we're left spinning in the studio (which has its good points... like airconditioning). Doesn't help that it's typhoon season... meets can be somewhat unpredictable. smile

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Finally something seems to be happening. Two peeps (greg and Vixen) have agreed we need to try and organise something, this could be the start of something tres cool hehe

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Katch, sounds like your on the right track. As far as more fire sets try not to put too much of that burdon on yourself. Try to get others to either buy their own or make their own. You can help facilitate people making their own by teaching them how to make them then they will teach others. If kevlar is hard to come by where your at, try to order it by the roll and sell it for what you spent. I'm not saying resell it for profit, but it's easier for many to buy it from you than to buy it online.

You will teach many people how to spin, some will continue to come back and others you may never see again. Don't get disheartened or discouraged. Learn what you can from each person you teach.

Be watchfull of new people lighting up for the first time. Make sure they are wearing proper clothing and that they are spinning in the right areas. Have a little meeting with your frends that are consistantly there with you and discuss safety and education. If you have an audience make sure they are safe and away from your fuel dump. I am constantly chasing smokers away from the fuel dump. I tell them burn... good, explosion.... bad and they usually understand. wink

Flame boy your on the right track. Once you start meeting regularly word spreads and you grow. Be watchfull and polite and everything comes together. smile

Cody Canon

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Quickly: the US is a lot stricter on gatherings that the UK.
In the UK make sure the piece of land you're wanting to use allows open fires on it as most parks don't, but commons do. And obviously take appropriate safety measues.

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
We're already up to 4 - how exciting! bounce2 wow

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
Hi Cody! biggrin Thanks for the encouragement... Anyway, we got this new venue. It's a little bit smaller (but the crowd seems more inspiring!)... We're still trying to figure out how not to spin out too much fuel. Being in a mall/resto area it's somewhat important that we don't splatter kerosene over all the guests.

About the sets I will bring the idea up with the guys. I've ordered wicking from Malcolm (hopefully it won't be too hard to make cathedrals). I suppose people are more inclined to take care of stuff when it's their stuff... Will do what I can to help. smile More people lit up last Saturday. I always keep an eye out for them. Especially if it's their first time to light... We also usually have two guys as safetys and they're pretty quick. smile

Just wondering though, what would be the best way to stretch the sets from 3-4 minutes, to about 5-10? We sort of need to get a "performance" going wink

-Franklin P. Jones

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Your using kerosine which is good. For longer burn times you need more wick. If your wicks are standard 2" kevlar cathedrals they are probably about 3" tall with about 2' of kevlar. Try making the wicks 4 or 5 inches tall using 3' to 4' of kevlar. One problem LOTS MORE FIRE. There is a bigger surface area so theres more fire, but they will burn longer. The bigger wicks will probrably give you 6 to 7 min.

As far as a performance goes you'd probably want to change out performers more often instead of having them last longer. I know your sets are limited but it's good to change things up to keep the audience attention. One person spinning for 10 min unless they change there style often gets repetative and people loose interest.

Keep up the good work and your safety system sounds awsome. Always give your safety lots of love. They have a thankless job but it's extremely important.

Disclaimer: I didn't tell you to use bigger wicks or more fire, it is only one of many solutions to your problem. wink

Cody Canon

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
Whew... nice to know I didn't have to make cathedrals with 8 feet of wicking... At least I can make two sets now instead of just one smile

Will try to do your suggestion this Saturday. At least it will also help encourage the other spinners. Instead of sitting out a set we can all alternate being on stage (really need more wicks now)....

Yes, we really love our safety folk. We also do take turns watching over people....

Would it help if we spun out with our stuff in plastic bags though so we don't splatter too much kero?

*can't wait for Saturday* Disclaimer duly noted wink Thanks Cody! hug

-Franklin P. Jones

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I learned of a great spinoff tool at Burningman last year so I made my own. I took a large juce bottle with a handle and cut a hole on the side near the top big enough to fit the poi heads in. On the bottom edge I cut a "V" and in the top I cut a releif for the chain. What you do is put your poi heads in the bottle and grab the poi handles. Grab the cord with the same hand holding the poi at the point where the poi heads are 2-3 inches off the bottom. Spin it around a few times. When you stop do it like a stall so the fuel stays on the bottom. Take out your spun-off poi and pour the fuel back into the fuel container using the handy "V" for smooth controlled pouring. wink

The disclaimer is there for safety but I must say our gorup is known for it's big fire and fire prop inventions... But I must also say one of those inventions went wrong on it's second run and put me in the hospital with a third degree burn that didn't heal for 3 months. Soooo be creative but accept the risks. Run your ideas by me before you try them. I've made enough mistakes to cover all of you. biggrin

Cody Canon

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Katch's group has started performing and busking, passing the hat an becoming successful quickly. Flame boy, your group is on the same track. Meetings are fun social gatherings for fire performers. If your moving more into performance I have some tips. I'm giving away my secrets and hopefully others will share theirs too.

I have noticed especially at burningman lots of fire spinners who are performing like on one is watching. They stand feet planted, never looking at anyone, spinning to their own beat doing complicated but not asthetic moves. The crowd is interested for about two seconds, then they are board.

On the other hand there are performers like Pyromancer, from Holland and two member form my group, Alfred and Tom. Tom is 63 years old and Alfred is a dancer. None of the above mentioned performers do complicated poi moves, but they perform. They dance, move arround, smile and make eye-contact with the crowd. They move th the beat of the music and do moves that change planes or break up the circles. The audience loves these performers.

My suggestions:
Move!!, move everything walk in circles, bend your elbows duck and jump. I can take 1/2 turns and turn them into a diverse routene.
Acknowledge the audience. Look at them play with them feed off there energy. Don't ingore them, your missing out.
Change up your routene. Have fast parts, have slow parts. Stalls and wraps. Heck throw your poi to the ground and dance arround them, but be different.
If you can emote a character. This allows you to kill performance anxiety and do all of the above.

Mix the advanced moves and the simple ones and have fun. Get in ther face and make them feel alive biggrin

Cody Canon

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
Cody, we've started doing twenty minute sets every twenty minutes. Collection's getting much, much better (and so are the sets!) We normally hold the audience for as long as the set goes... (and then break a bit so we can get a new crowd) wink As for the fuel collection cans, the best one we have so far is a tall powdered lemonade screw-top jar (and a large skippy's peanut butter jar). The screw-top just makes it easier to put and remove poi. Just need to figure out what to do with the extra long ones, plastic bags don't seem to work well...

We've had a few gig offers but have decide to turn down one of the contract because it'll inhibit us too much. Aside from that, things are going well. We might film a demo this week. smile Thanks a million for all your help!

-Franklin P. Jones

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
This would have been useful to know last tuesday. Grace and I were in Salisbury and decided to try some busking, we didn't have any music and had never done it before so we didn't know any of the stuff you just mentioned.

I'll keep that lot mind next time, cheers wave

And if I find out any tips I'll be sure to share them with you biggrin

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
Flame Boy... There are 10-15 people in our group now. We start staggered. One person first with one poi, then two, then a person with a pair, then the more complex poi. After each person gets off the next soaks, spins out and lights. We try to have at least two people going at any given time.

Meanwhile, the guys that don't spin fire yet help soak and spin out stuff, become our safety crew / bouncer-types, as well as actively ask for donations from the crowd. People are more likely to give when you "pass the can" so to speak... Safer though to have someone from your group walk around with it instead of having your audience walk away with it. biggrin

At the end of each set, we move the money into a separate (hidden) container and leave a couple of bills and a handful of coins. This works two ways, one if we lose the jar... at least we don't lose too much... Two, people seem more likely to donate if they see that there only a little bit of cash in the jar...

Music is always good. We turn on the boombox about 3 minutes before we start, have someone practice with tails just to draw in the crowds. When there's a sufficient number we start doing our set. wink

hope it helps! Best of luck! weavesmiley

-Franklin P. Jones

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
What sort of music do you use?

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
We burn to techno or drums. We have a group of drummers who are at our meetings every week. Drummers like to drum to something. Firedancers and drummers go hand in hand. For a performance all you need is a drummer or two. People are drawn to the music and find the fire. Then if your interesting to watch they'll stay. If your performing in front of your average street crowd, drums or drum music is more inviting than techno. With live drummers they can play with you. You can be the visual aspect of the audable beet. People love that. biggrin

Cody Canon

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
FB - We use a whole mix of things. Each set is a completely different kind of music. We normally start off with Alegria (cirque du soleil) and then go to indigenous music (pinikpikan - hard to explain), trance/techno, classic-pop (Maksim, Bond), and then the tried and tested collection (POD, Prodigy...). Would love to try the drumming but haven't quite found drummers to accompany us... smile

-Franklin P. Jones

Page: