arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Ok, So we've had the star wars ep2 thread, and now it's time for the Spiderman to have he's 15 mintues of fame in the Home of poi homepage.

Personal, I didn't think it was all it was cracked up to be, due to the fact I used to read the comics till I was 15... (yeah I know... nerd... but SHUT UP!!!)

I almost got up and walked out when the Goblin took off his mask and Spiderman was surpised to see who it was... well I guess he wasn't watching the movie...

And the fact M.J. never caught on to the fact of who he was, I mean Spiderman had the same voice as Peter Parker, said the same things as Peter Parker, and knew the same things... And Nobody remembered the scene from in the school, How can you forget a kid who walks out of the lunch room dragging a lunch tray by a spider web... and not put two and two together and say... "Hey... I think Peter Parker is Spiderman!"

Anyone else agree... And sorry to the people who haven't seen it yet, and with these spoilers... but you should never should have opened this thread... no-one to blame but yourself...

--------------------------
In my world there are people in chains and we ride them like ponies.

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I've not seen the film yet, hopefully I will sometime next week.
I have to say though, that the MJ not realising Peter is spiderman thing happens in almost every superhero film and comic book so I wouldn't personally be able to level that critism at the film.
I think it's worse in superman though, at least spiderman relys on more than a pair of glasses to hide behind

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Khameleanmember
42 posts

Posted:
What are you talking about, MJ did realize spider-man was parker, at the end where she kissed him, it's exactly the same story that the comics started with. In the comic one of the school kids did realise parker was spider-man and he told the other kids and they told him he was an idiot.

Just curiouse but what evidence was portrayed to spidey that the goblin could possible be Mr.Osborn, i see the occasional hint, but remember that it's human nature to believe nothing until you have good reason to...

Q:Whay do you keep hiting yourself in the head with that hammer?A:Cos, it just feels so good when i stop...

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
My objection: M.J almost gets raped by 6 guys in an alley...some weird half man half spider thing comes and saves her. While dangling from his web (that comes from his wrist)...she takes off half of his mask (just enough to see his mouth...not to actually figure who the hell it is!) and french kisses him...umm yeah that's EXACTLY what I'd do
Anyways it was kinda long...but still kinda fun...although I have to say the Green Goblin was a very chessy choice for a villan...the first batman destroyed this movie!
Overall I give it a 6.5/10...but if you're gonna see it it should most definetly be seen on the big screen!

[ 08 June 2002, 06:19: Message edited by: SunSpot ]

Om Namah Sivaya

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well, i think that it was pretty sad. i'm hoping that the sequels are better, as i feel the downfall was that they had to stick to the original story which was written a while ago and is cheesy! (no disrespect to spider man, with my collection, this movie will make me a rich old man!) i liked the movie stylistically, so i'm hoping that once sam can write his OWN story into it the movie resulting will kick! i watched schnoinkered on like three shots of coffee and i was flying out of my seat for the swinging parts! i'm an adrenaline junkie, it reminded me of when i used to do crazy sh!t like jump off of bridges and climb radio towers! now i've toned it down to burning out my nose hairs in front of thousands of people...
however i think that i could have designed a better hobgoblin outfit with a booger the size of a basketball hanging from my face while at a supermodel convention. pretty 'un-biobooster' looking. retarded even. but, narf, it had boobies! that makes it all okay, right!?!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

spikeyrichBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Ive not seen it yet either but dont blame MJ for not twigging P.P. is Spidey! Look at Batman (film) or even worse superman....i mean come on!!the guys disguise is a pair of glasses for gods sake! At least Spidey has a mask.

as you think so you are, as you imagine so you become.

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
OK, you have forced me to play my hand. Here it is first and foremost the movie blended about 4 different versions of the Spiderman character from different comic books.
These books are as follows: Amazing Spiderman, Spiderman 2000, Spectacular Spiderman, Ultimate Spiderman.

People please, Mary Jane Watson is secondary back up girlfriend #3. The most upsetting thing about Spiderman was the total exclusion of Gwen Stacey and the cop out car jacking of Uncle Ben.

The Organic web shooters and the protruding spines inside the fingertips (Spiderman 2000 series) are an ok. As to giving Spiderman mechanical web shooters would have looked lame and would have taken way too much time to explain. Parker is smart but he isn't a mechanical genius.

Now with having parker grow up next door to MJ ( Ultimate Spiderman ) was ok. It does explain why he has such a huge crush on her.

I do agree with the idea that someone should have figured out that parker was Spiderman somewhere in the movie before the lame MJ speech at the end of the movie. Seriously if one of your friends goes all "Crouching tiger" on someone wouldn't you wonder a little.

Now the one good thing about the movie is that they stayed (70% or better) to the original Green goblin storyline (Amazing Spiderman). The death for Green goblin was about two feet too low unfortunately. It took his head off in the Original series.

Now the other characters in the movie were great. JJ Jameson was Dead on perfect. Aunt may was good. Flash Thompson a brunette??? What were they thinking. Harry Osborne was good he will make a great villain in movie #2 or #3. MJ was a good casting. As for casting Toby Maguire as Spiderman I honestly think that he did a good job.

But over all the movie was good. As a comic book fan I would have to give it a 65% out of a 100%

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I would like to enter into evidence that this is a fictional movie, open to artist interpritaition. If the person making the film has the rights they could make spiderman a black guy for all he cares!! Thats just the way it goes... you can sit here and gripe about it or you can accept it as is.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
C'mon guys.. go with the magic..I thought it was cool.. Sat there like a little kid eatin pizza at my friends house last nite..

[ 08 June 2002, 08:14: Message edited by: Fire Dragon ]

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I thought it was good, but I just have one big criticism.

Ok, it's a comic book film and that necessarily means that there is going to be some cheesy lovey-dovey stuff in the movie. I accept that and, what's more, expect it.

But this movie went WAAY overboard on the cheesy scenes. The actors talked way too slowly during the tear-jerker scenes and it really seemed as if the director was trying to pad the film. The film was plenty long and most of those cheesy scenes would have gotten their point across if they were half as long.

Now, on a different note, I am going to be working with one of the most advanced electron microscopes in the world this summer. And I've done a fair bit of molecular biology in some of the most advanced labs in the world (Stanford). But none of the labs I've ever been in were anywhere near as cool as the ones in the movie! Shucks.

Hmmm...maybe it's because I never worked with mutant spiders?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
That's the problem with real labs, they're not packed full of interesting looking stuff like the sterotypical ones on TV.

I'd like just once to walk into an actual lab and have it full of wierd glassware full of various bubbling and steaming liquids.
Add in some mood lighting and a hunchbacked assistant and I'd be in heaven

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
TBM, in my organic chemistry lab class in college, I once got to put together this really cool distillation set-up that actually did have a bunch of neat-looking hoses and glass tubes and bubbling flasks. No bunsen burners, though. We were using ether. Bunsen burner plus ether=bad scene. That class was cool. We even got to do one reaction that glows in the dark (the fluorescein reaction).

But we biologists never get to work with anything that looks that cool.

And remember. If it pops and smokes, it's chemistry. If it bites and scratches, it's biology. If it doesn't work, it's physics.

Oh, and TBM, you can take the hunchback assistant. I want the cute assistant who gave the tour of the lab in the movie!

[ 08 June 2002, 12:24: Message edited by: MikeGinny ]

-Mike

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
ahem, guys... its a... wait for it... MOVIE!!

And it was fantastic, I only saw it on pirate video and i thought it was great, without the rich colors i expect from my local UGI.

yup MJ knows who parker really is, yes I cried when Uncle Ben (sweet & sour?) died and i really want Parker to kill the goblin's son (temp lapse of memory here)

i know a few spidey fans who are well happy with it, sam raime (directors name cant remember)accepted it is only a movie and that it originated from the comic.

Plus Stan Lee (the spidey creator) said he loved it. So there

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I've just got back from watching spiderman for the second time (I managed to get tickets to a preview on sunday and another today) and I must say it's one of the best films I've seen in ages.

yes, the cgi was a bit obvious in some places and yes, the storyline isn't dead on accurate but those are very, very minor points in my opinion.

Sam Raimi did an incredable job with the film, the action sections are great and I was in tears for the weepy sections (I havn't cried watching a film in years) - especially the bit when MJ pours her soul out to Peter at the end.

I think the casting and acting was brilliant too, but I've been a fan of the 3 main characters for a fair while so I'm a bit biased.
They even managed to get Bruce Campbell and Lucy Lawless in the film with cameos too

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, folks. I'm going to be working with black widow spider toxin. And I'll be taking electron micrographs of what happens to tissues when they are treated with the stuff. And remember, I'm a molecular biologist.

So if you see a guy in a spandex suit jumping through the air over San Francisco while spinning poi, that just means that I messed up my experiment.

I don't think the world is ready for SpiderMike...

-Mike

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
No, we're just not ready to see you wear your underpants on the outside...

-----------------------

Non-Https Image Link

[ 14 June 2002, 11:48: Message edited by: Arsn ]

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men