Forums > Social Discussion > traditional maori dance performance

Login/Join to Participate

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
hello spinners....i went to a fantastic traditional maori dance performance today. It was all very good and well performed but of course the only bits i was reallly into were the poi bits. they did single short, double short, single long, double long and 4 long(thats was brilliant). they kept one handed butterfly going long enough an with enough ease to take another set out and get one handed butterfly going with that set too. at one point they nhad three people doing this at the same time. of the moves i recognized were buzzsaw type moves, weave, butterfly and thread the needle, the did other more simple stuff but all syncronized and in time with the music. the short handed poi was very cool and pretty forgien to me, it was very fast and they were constantly changing the direction of the poi by hitting them against their hands, arms, sholders, anyways, they were very good and were experts with a variety of instruments(staff, jade knives..) the entire group was talented and demonsrated a love of their country. they performed a very long and interesting show(hour and a half!!!!!!) anyways, just thought id share, cause we all need to get back to our roots

speaking of roots, my hair is now purple

peace, love, luck, fire, chocolate and all that good stuff>

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
That sounds really cool, would love to see it done the traditional way, methinks a trip to New Zealand may be in order! (any excuse...)

On a similar subject I met a couple of argentinian performers the other weekend who were doing something called 'ballineros' (not sure that's spelt right, or that the name's right, but something like that...) - it involves a wooden board under the feet and two long poi-like metal/wood balls on ropes, they use the weave movement to cross these things over but the main emphasis is on the rhythm as they hit the board with every rotation, and do some feet stomping in the middle too. It's like poi crossed with flamenco! biggrin Sounds brilliant.

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
wow, thats sounds very cool(and complicated)

one thing that amazed me about this performance was the mulitasking, they were doing poi, dancein, moving around the stage, singing, and all the while keeping with the beat and in sync with each other, amazing..

the special bit was that the guys were stamping so much that the stage started to colapse, the people organizing the event were trying to hold it up...like that would do anything

peace>> ubbangel

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
sounds beautful! you be so lucky!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
indeed i am

id love to learn to short poi stuff if someone would teach me