musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Anyone seen this yet? Really good example of using story telling along with performance art, kind of the direction I like to go with fire performances. There were a couple of things that really stuck out, like the whip demonstration, multiple cracks in all directions, first martial arts demonstration I've ever seen of whip. Also a couple of really nice chain whip demos, butterfly kicks and chain whips, mmm biggrin

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
havent seen it, but the shaolin kick ass.... kinda ironic/sad though that these incredable fighters have vowed against violence.......its a mad world

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Written by:

kinda ironic/sad though that these incredable fighters have vowed against violence.......

ironic/sad???

I think it's proof of a sane well-adjusted person/society, to have abilities such as those but choose not to use them.

Rather than being sad, I think it is truly inspiring!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I could be fussy and interject here that they aren't really monks, and wu shu is more of a performance art than a martial art.

But I won't as it'll just start an arguement...

wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

1,148 posts

Posted:
whats your definition of a monk? Ever seen the making of this movie?

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
im sorry i put that badly

i also think its awsome that they have such skill and control

its sad because those who do the fighting arent nearly as good at it as those who have vowed not to

if i were a quy id love to shave my head and become a shaolin monk

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
it is true.

the warrior-monk line was definitively fogged off by the lovely maoists (only a few caretaker monks inhabited the Nothern/Southern Shaolin establishments during that nice cultural revolution and the disdain they had for religions, they were not martial artists)

Contemporary Shao-lin is a brand.

hundreds of wushu academies line the Shao forests at the foot of the original monasteries.

Wu-shu is quite alive in the lineage of Grand-masters (just think the Drew/Glass of wushu wink ) - the line of the warrior-monk is broken.

There's an old discussion thread about HoPpers who have attended the (almost annual) show. For people familiar with wushu competition forms, it is nice to see wushu reach a wider audience, but please don't be mistaken into thinking that these young guys are even old enough to be masters.

politely ask your wushu buddies for VHS copies of Chinese National Competition footage (pre 1987 footage is before they banned something called 'tiger hook swords')

Lyra, don't be sorry that you put it badly, western acceptance of the notion of 'kung fu' has made unclear the true nature of this invigorating buddhist practice.

i like yoo!
EDITED_BY: bender™ (1090767762)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I saw the Shaolin - Wheel of Life show a few years ago.

It is so impressive what these men have taught their bodies to do... total control.

I thought it was also really interesting to see the number of young boys (maybe aged 5/6) up there kicking and punching with the adults. I took it as a reflection of the respect these ancient forms (even contemporary interpretations of them) still hold.

xx

Getting to the other side smile

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
does anyone remember 'martial arts gladiators' or whatever it was called on bbc? after a whole series of that i definately decided wu shu was the most pretty. haven't got any further than that yet though... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

6,978 posts

Posted:
wushu has many different traditions tho... they are sometimes drastically different, some concentrate much on empty fists and circular movement (bagua fist), some concentrate on harvesting essential energies (taichi-chuan) some on lethality (praying mantis fist)
The objective way to decide what is for you is to turn the internet connection off and visit your local academy and honestly ask yourself what you wish from learning from that place - good health? inner peace? physical hardening? co-ordination? friends? and simply ask the master what they can offer. Never rely on simply one source, -especially the internet- for advice, cus bender is a stinky self toucher. heh ehh peace

1,148 posts

Posted:
don't go blind now! your spinning may not suffer, but you may crush many toes with your crutches. Save the toes!!

Ars Pyronomica

6,978 posts

Posted:
I'm not blind (yet) but i like ham radio.