MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
So Ive always wondered why Im not as good a spinner with fire as I am with practice poi and such. I always blamed it on the innate fear of the flame. But recently Ive come to the conclusion that its because the spinning flame somewhat blinds me and throws me off balance. I noticed this because I found that Im still good at spinning fire during light hours. It only happens when its really dark out and all I can see are the flames flying through my field of view.

My question is, does anyone know of a remedy for this? Ive thought about spinning with sun glasses on but that would look kind of goofy and I dont know if that would really help. Ill try it none the less but, in the mean time, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

wouacGOLD Member
Poi-tato
183 posts

Posted:
spin with ur eyes closed that way u get a better feel and increase ur skills dont really need ur eyes if ur using poi of staff until u throw and once u really learn ur staff u dont need to see throwing either so just try it with closed eyes or a blindfold closed eyes is better cuz u can open them if u screw up

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potato's.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
ditto

You shouldnt need to see your poi dude. Everyone learns differently, but you are good enough IMO to just go by feel.

Blindfolded is the way to go, but wear some "groin" protection wink
EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1090653277)

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Its not that I need to see my poi. Its that my poi are the ONLY thing I can see.

My style has changed considerably in the past 2 or 3 months. Im dancing more, turning more, doing more under the leg combos and such. These things require good balance and a connection to your surroundings. When its totally dark out and all I see are flames rushing past my head, I lose a lot of that. I no longer know where my "audience" is. I can no longer see the ground beneath and around me. I get somewhat disoriented by the intense light leaving spots and trails in my vision.

Spinning with closed eyes isnt the answer here as it wouldnt solve any of these problems.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
my dad has the same problem. hes 90% deaf and his ears are completly f*cked up. he finds it extremly difficult to balance when its dark.
maybe spinning for a period of time in daylight in the surrounding area to 'get to know it' then carry on spinning into the night, so that the darkeness becomes gradual and you don't really notic it. plus something that helps my dad is to keep his head upright (if this is possible whilst spinning poi) keep ur head still, don't move it up and down at all. my dad seems to think it keeps teh fluid still in teh ear so he is able to keep his balance. not sure though.

Aimz xx

PoiGirlBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
Okay, perhaps the discussion has passed this point and it's no longer relevant, but I think if you got some really awesome Matrix-y shades, they wouldn't be goofy - they could become all the rage... cool

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Indeed. Perhaps make some shades that are kind of a part to a costume. Make them functional, yet, an integral part to my outfit smile

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

PoiGirlBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
Exactly! They could be really cool. I can see it now... cool Of course, they'd have to do what you want them to do... umm Have you tried sunglasses yet?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Nay, havent been around to spinning much lately nor do I have a pair of sun glasses.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Ooh ooh, idea! Be all theatrical and stuff! Light your poi, and look away as if you are in great pain. Start spinning your poi, but do it really sloppily, throw one in the air, reach in your pocket for your sunglasses, put them on, catch your poi, and spin super bad-assily.

Then, after you realize bad-assily isn't a real word, stop laughing at me and finish your freaking burn!

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
It could be type of fuel you're using, if you're using something stupid like pure fire lighting fluid then it probably will be too bright, I use simple paraffin and I think that's fine devil
Actually it could be that your eyes become accustomed to the dark before you spin so when you light up they appear blinding (like when you turn the light on in the middle of the night after you've just woken up) sunny So try spending a few minutes in a brightly lit area before you spin biggrin

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

PoiGirlBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
Haha, Millenium, I like it!! ubbtickled

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I indeed like the idea also Mill. Might have to do that for a show some time...

/stolen idea

I use Lamp Oil, Flame Boy.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
is it that you're spinning an area with absolutely no other source of light? cuz you could try having some lights around and see if that helps

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Thats a good option as well, though, not always possible.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
sometimes parking lots have big post lights...

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Indeed. But Im not gonna go out in search of a parking lot every time I wanna spin.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Is it all the time? i find that it takes me a couple of burns before i can do any throws when i spinning in the dark. My eyes seem to take a little while to adjust to the brightness and the darkness if you know what I mean.

eat more carrots...

Love is the law.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Methylated spirits.

Then you can colour the flame and pretend that was your intention all along.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
if you spinn naked you will be so inbarsed that youy will forget about the flame and spin just fine ubblol

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
ubblol It may hurt if a poi went between your legs while naked tho ubblol

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying