Forums > Social Chat > One handed questions..

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey all,surprise surprise, I have some technical questions for you all (rather than going on and on and on about the philosophical side of twirling smile) 1) How do you go from one handed butterfly, to one handed weave?I can get into one handed butterfly from two handed, but buggared if I know how to go to one-handed weave from there! smile2) What else is everyone doing one-handed other than the following (cuz I can (at least sorta) do these! [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif">)-[/image]-" " crossflow-" " horizontal windmill (with turns etc)-" " butterfly-" " behind head butterfly (req'ing switch straight back to front after one rev)I guess what I'm looking for in this question is some inspiration.Hope to hear from you soon,Josh.[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 28 February 2001).][This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 01 March 2001).]

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey Josh - i don't know much about one-handed stuff but i am quite interested in a bit more info on the moves you describe smile esp. the weave and the windmill (i can do butterfly, not very well but at least i know where to start from!)...if you could post some guidelines it would be greeeeeat smilehow do you hold the poi in one handed moves? i am using twin finger loops and i was finding it easier to do one-handed moves when i was using a single loop...what do you use?happy swinging,Simos

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
As far as handles go for single hand stuff, I find the chains spread out easier when I'm using single-loop handles with one on my pinky and one on my pointer finger. I played last night with one-hand double finger loop action, and it was still pretty good, but i like single-loop better.

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Simos!I use the double finger loops too, but when entering a single handed butterfly, I usually dump one set of loops, and just put one loop from one poi on my index finger, and one loop from the other poi on my little finger. I'm at work now, so I cant really analyse what I'm doing when doing the above moves...so when I get home tonight, I'll have a crack at it for ya! smileAll I can say is this; alot of single-hand techniques are very similar to staff moves.of course, there is a whole chunk more skill involved with twirling two poi in the one hand rather than a single staff, but you know what I mean (I think) smileSo yeah.good luck.oh yeah - the other main disadvantage with double loops is that they are *MUCH* harder to get back into after doing a one handed set of moves...(read: I cant see any concieveable way of getting back into my double loops, after dropping them). however I dont want to have to twirl a whole set with single loops just so I can go into and get out of a one handed finale. Urgh.Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 28 February 2001).]

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I cant wait til you come to Sydney for a play Josh!!!! And dont worry, ill come and say hello before i come steal your moves *grin*

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hehe, I'm looking forward to visiting you guys as well smile)And it aint stealing if I'm willingly giving the moves away smileJosh

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
thanx josh..maybe the reason i am so bad at one handed moves is that i don't have a clue about staff winkoh well, back to practising,happy swinging,Simos

bobrobmember
61 posts

Posted:
and YOU'RE looking for inspiration!!! man, reading about tricks like that gives ME inspiration grinokay i can do a 1h butterfly and take it over my head... (hadn't thought about a crossflow - cool) ...but all those others, DAMN!! i had no idea...thinking about it though, i can see how by using staff technique it could be possible... somebody i know has a long rope meteor thing, and although you can transpose tricks from staff and poi, at times you are letting go with one hand, maybe one-handed poi is a little like that - i'm gonna try to imagine (for a 1h weave at least) that it is more like a staff, maybe that will make it easier for me. thanks for pointing those out josh - hopefully if i see you in sydney i will have had enough time to practice em. i'd love to see a 1h b-fly into a 1h weave, man thats inspiring! nice one,inabit B)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Again,Sorry Simos, but I didnt get a chance to analyse the moves and break em down for ya last night...I forgot that I was going to see King Lear - by the time I got home...well it was too late. However, I have given it some thought, and so here they are.1) If you can do it with a staff, you can do it with two Poi (as long as its all in one hand - changing hands with 2 poi is bordering on olympic difficulty level IMO) So practice swinging your staff around. I was a staff twirler before I was a poi'er so perhaps that has something to do with it?2) When you are trying to get the two Poi to swing opposed (its easy with one handed butterfly, you just kinda bounce your hand up and down at the front of your body, holding it in a vertically aligned fist, with a poi off your index and little fingers) you really have to concentrate on holding your fingers really spread out, ie your hand should be almost as widely spread as possible but with your index and little fingers hooked.3) practice doing a three beat weave with two poi in one hand and nothing in the other. 4)Gradually try to lead with your index finger (I find the index is MUCH stronger than the little one (surprise smile) and so is better at leading...if you do it the other way round (little finger leading) the index poi tends to catch up. If you dont know what leading is, practice lesson six in Xaedas staff lessons (although she does an exta turn behind). Basically your thumb on the staff should describe an infinity symbol through the movement.5) when doing a crossflow the situation gets reversed, and so you need to be able to weave little finger first.---------I'd put one-handed poi'ing in the quite tricky category, but I wouldnt say its really hard. I'm very surprised nobody has posted with heaps of one hand tricks...its not like its that hard.So come on ppl! pull your finger out, and gimme something back please!!! smile)>even if you saw someone sometime who was doing something funky one-handed (With Poi wink), I want to know about it! smile) This stuff MUST be being done be loads of ppl all over.Or is one-handed Poi an illegitimate set of tricks? is that it? is it not worthy of being learned, cuz its sacreligeous?At least, if youre not going to share your one handed tricks, tell me why not. I simply cant believe that NO-ONE on this board has anything to add.The original question still stands;How do YOU go from one handed butterfly, to 1hand weave? (or the opposite). Even if you cant do it, anyone got any ideas???Alternatively, anyone got a nice way of going from 2hand three beat weave to 1hand 3 beat?Josh

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Josh,This I really need to think about.... smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Finn!I've been wondering when you would chime in smileI reckon a wrap is outa the question for the change, hmm...perhaps a well placed hackeysack like kick? maybe a catch and push with the other hand (now it has nothing to do) smile) it would have to be quick..I think this is gonna really cross the lines with juggling smileawaiting more inputfeedme!Josh

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
thanx a lot for all that info Josh!!! grini'll try and digest it and come back with questions when i've practised smile...thanx again,Simos

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
Oh wow!...... smileThis is amazing! I mean, I saw dangerboy do some in one of his videos, and thought WHOA! but nothing much beyond that! This one-handed stuff has blown my mind, and set me to practicing 100x more than normal, but it's not getting too far......How do you do the weave one handed? (Is that what you meant, or is it more like a "chase" , ie not doing 2 beats, 1 beat, but just one on each side?) Please help, it hurts when you get it wrong!Happy (wonderfully one handed) swinging,Tim /|\

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey again all!ok - after a very heated debate and some mis-understandings my girlfriend has come up with a solution to my problem (DAMN! smile)Question: how do you go from one hand buttefly to one-hand weave?Answer: by going back to two hands, and then into one handed weave from a modified windmill.going from two handed to one handed butterfly is easy. ANYONE can do this with hardly any practice. going back to two hands isnt hard either.going from two handed mod. windmill isnt too hard, I'll cut and paste her description;well if you have them looped around your little finger and your thumb, then if you get a normal wheel motion going, and keep in swaying time with your other hand then you "theoretically" should be able to slide your other hand and gain the momentum then do wheel with he other hand. I don't think it would be possible to do any changes behind your head though. But physics tells me its possible, at least I think. I tried it last night, and almost got it, but I suck at that one handed trick at the moment anyway so theres not a chance in hell I will get it, bout I think you probably could.Then again you could always just throw them up in the air and catch them couldn't you *snide remark*:P *jk*At our fire meet up last night, we both practiced this, and got it. So yeah. I'm still looking for a way of switching STRAIGHT between the two, but _there_ is a solution that works.BTW Timmy, figure 8 and weave are both possible (I think).I hope this has helped you ppl out! smile)of course, feel free to bombard this thread with questions should you so desire.(BTW - a friend of mine got a one handed move happening last night that made her head look like the nucleus of an atom, with poi spinning ALL OVER THE PLACE around her head. twas cool, but not one I'll be trying on fire for at least a couple of weeks smile)happy spinning all!Josh

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Josh,Just wanted to let you know that I plan to practice all of this one handed stuff as soon as we get our first gig out of the way (a Trancendance doof next weekend - full moon!).I haven't really done a lot of one handed stuff till now. Not sure why, I guess having only recently ventured out into the great big firey world, I haven't had the benefit of seeing many people fire dancing, certainly not doing one handed poi moves anyway *grin* I love this bulletin board so much. You and all of H.O.P's members have inspired and motivated me to go beyond what I thought was possible. I can't wait to meet up with you and Kate in April. I'm hanging to see Kate do that one handed poi while cartwheeling move!Finn
Non-Https Image Link

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I love this board too smile)It has led me to develop my skills too... smilecool cool cool.go go gadget one-handed poi!Seeya,Josh

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
thanks for pointing me here josh,i'm quite comfy that the single chain or 2 poi in one hand thing is very like staff, BUTthe thing i battle with would be that the chain is SO flexible and so i can't figure out the right speed for keeping it in a straight line - with two poi in one hand it feels the same except you can use the width of your hand to keep the poi opposed. i'm going to try putting a short bar into the center of my chain and see how it goes.working on the moves you suggested, thanx a buncho-o

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hehe,Finn, Kate cant do the one-handed Poi weave into cartwheel into reverse one handed weave yet...She can sometimes get close...We will practice however...who knows, perhaps we will be able to show you in April? not far off now..seeya,Josh

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
josh, the sound of the one handed cartwheel with poi inspired me to give it a go and get it going smoothly a couple of times =)i've got it down to a simple butterfly (lots of fun =) ), the weave in this particular movement eludes me at the moment, but I know there has to be more that can be done..I haven't tried using sticks at all really, although my boyfriend can do the same trick with a single stick, threading it under and around his body as he cartwheels with his other hand.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Splat!So you are doing a one handed Cartwheel while doing a one-handed butterfly? If so - COOL! Thats wicked.Josh

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Ummm Bump i found this old thread and was wondering if anybody has came up with any more one handed tricks ? .

I can do a Horzontal butterfly and change directions with it .

I've seen valura do a atom move one handed .

Man it's dusty in here (can a mod put this in the Poi post area to please ?. ) ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: Puk (1084590179)

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ooh lovely....I'm really getting into the one-handed action lately! wink

I usually play around with...(appolgise for not knowing the names of some of these as it's just stuff I found)

- 3/4/5 bt weaves

- weaves where one wraps around my wrist when I cross my body

- switching from one hand to the other infront or BTB

- stalling one poi so you can change it's plane and move from weave into butterfly (still practising this a it's quite tricky and nearly always ends up in horizontal butterfly which is far trickier than vertical!)

- weaving in one hand relesing one poi and catching it again in the same hand to carry on

- weaving in one hand releasing one and catching it with the other poi by swinging out and one sock wrapping around the other into tangle, pulling into my body then maintaining the tangle until they seperate (also quite hard to nail, but I'm getting closer everytime biggrin)

- One handed hyperloops (or airwraps maybe??...I had the difference explained to me but I still don't get it)

- switching butterfly direction by wrapping around my thigh

- weaving then letting both poi wrap around my wrist/hand in time, then flicking back so they unwind again in the opposite direction (looks ace in the dark with glowy hacky sacks)

erm...I think that's it. If I remember any more I'll edit this post ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: Custom Bug (1084522135)

Let's relight this forum ubblove

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
bug- that stuff sounds mostly insane biggrin

ive seen onewheeldaves video of him doing insanse one handed stuff to. maybe you should check that out for some ideas puk. theres various links to it in the video s forum.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
thanks redface

Yeah OWD's one handed vid is ace, helped me polish some moves and learn a few more. That reminds me I must download it again seeing as I lost 70gig of data last weekend when my hardisk died frown

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
70 gig....... eek

hug hug

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I once did 120Gb eek

Got that all back last weekend though..

until my computer died 2 days ago.

Bah!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
yep...70 gig. 80 gig hardrive just wentpop and is now inaccessable, even by the 'puter shop people frown that is ontop of losing 20 gig on another drive about a week ago.

Onyx FlameSILVER Member
stranger
16 posts

Posted:
Can someone post a video on how to do 1 handed 3 beat weaves; or post a link to a video?-I'm more of a visual learner. smile

ladyleoSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
Ah! Found the thread I need right now. Playing with spinning in one hand...

ladyleoSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: PukUmmm Bump i found this old thread and was wondering if anybody has came up with any more one handed tricks ? .

I can do a Horzontal butterfly and change directions with it .

I've seen valura do a atom move one handed .

Man it's dusty in here (can a mod put this in the Poi post area to please ?. )

Yes, move this to the advanced poi section, please.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ladyleoOriginally Posted By: Pukmer mer mer

Yes, move this to the advanced poi section, please.

Its probably interesting to note that the "advanced" section came in after that note was posted. Though, its not really important where stuff is, its just a rough guide really.

hug

Page: