PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay, so there are a series of physics/anatomy experiments that people can do...for example...

four men sitting in chairs lying back on one another, lift their butts, pull out the chairs and they are a self supporting structure.

Go into the frame of a door, press hard with your arms for a certain amount of time, lower your arms and they raise on their own.

There is one about putting a chair against a wall, have a man lean over and put his head against the wall and have him try to lift the chair. He can't but a woman can.
How do you set up the chair? That whole thing actually?

Do you know any more of these?
I have the one of the line of people trying to get one in frisking position against the wall to collapse under collective weight. I even know how it works.

But I need more!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or at least where to find them. Please ubbangel

Thanks in advance!
Pele hug

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
have everyone stand in a circle, facing the next persons back, very closely together, and slowly all sit down at the same time on the knees of the person behind them.

Ultimately they will all end up sitting on each others laps!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
You can have 4 people lift a grown person using only their middle fingers...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
you have someone stand in front of you with their back towards you.

you asked them to imagine a nail in the middle of their back. with the tip of your finger you make light circular movements on the person's back. you explain that you are wrapping thread around the nail in their back, and ask them to imagine this.

after a couple of minutes you tug gently on the (imaginary) thread pulling the person towards you. you must continue to explain to them what you're doing.

if it's done right, the person thinks their being pulled backwards and should fall over.......

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
You tell the person that they are in the kitchen, then you get them to imagine that they are cooking you breakfast, if you know your Jedi Mind Tricks this should be no problem. Im so hungry

There is also the one whre you get a person to lie down, knees lifted up slightly back raised off the ground by a person kneeling behind the head. Four other people are needed, Person at the back puts pressure on the head compressing the spine (this shouldnt hurt and if it does, stop). The others are waiting with the hands joined together index fingers pointing out (like a gun) each pair of hands is under a joint. Knees/Elbows. Release pressure and lift, Said person is ridgid and seemingly weghtless. We used to to this in school when I was ten so I thats as close as i can rememeber it. Does work though,

Love is the law.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
there's one where you get two people. One larger than the other. The smaller of the two brings their arms up and touches the tips of their index fingers infront of their chest (pams facing downwards). The bigger of the two has to take grip of the smaller persons wrists and try to pull them apart. They can't jerk or anything like that, only pull outwards trying to seperate the fingers. It should be impossible if done right biggrin

Why do you need these pele? Are you planning something fun? biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
How you set up the chair one is quite simple. You have the chair right up against the wall, and bend over with your head touching the wall. Your back should be straight and parallel to the ground. Grip the sides of the seat and lift, but not with your arms. If you lift with your arms, it doesn't work right.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i've done that one where everyone is in a tight circle & sits down!! biggrin it's fun!! we had about 40 people there & we took 3 steps before we collapsed in a big giggling mess of human limbs!! ubblol

unfortunately i don't know any others!! i am going to try that chair one though!!! right now!! ubbloco back in a mo...

right - that was a little too easy...maybe i did it wrong?!?! confused

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The concept of the chair one is that you are supposed to lift the chair up and then stand up. Men can lift the chair but not stand with it. Women can do it because our centers of gravity are different from men. Need to go get my male friend to try it out! lol

I forgot about the sit one! Thank you! And I really like the thread one, that will be funny, especially if I blindfold the person and really work on my delivery.

I am looking for these for two reasons. I am expanding my PG show to incorporate them and I am doing some various presentations at schools and the local science museum with sideshow, magic, circus-style arts and wanted to fill it out with these. I know I have done several, but couldn't remember them all.

Thanks and if there are more...keep them coming!

smile
Pele

Pele

kitemanFlying high!
245 posts

Posted:
stand with your back to a wall, making sure your bum and the back of your heals are touching. Lean forward and try to touch your toes, with you legs straight, without falling over.

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough!

It's not the size of the wave, it's the length of the ride!

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
get some one to clasp their hands with the index fingers held about 2 inches apart. Then you pretend to tighten a bolt that holds them together, their fingers start to relax and fall together as the imaginary bolt tightens...

another funny body thing to do - although not sure it's quite the sort of thing you're looking for is to hold your nose with one hand and then try and fit your other arm ELBOW FIRST through the gap created by the arm holding your nose. Some people can do it others can't, i don't think there's a particular reason, but it looks damn funny biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Not sure it's what you're looking for, but there's a good one we do with the kids at work, called 'rubberman'.

*Hold a pole (eg broom handle) in your hands, palms facing upwards. You are not allowed to leave go of this pole at all.
*Step over the pole, so it's now behind you.
*Then bring your hands up over your head, so they're infront of you again.
*Bring your right leg round the outside of your right arm, step back over the pole, and plant your foot on the floor.
*Then (the tricky bit) bring the pole over your knee and your head.
*Step over it, and you'll be back where you started. biggrin

It sounds a lot harder in written form. You have to be reasonably flexible- kids find it easier. But I can do it, so it's entirely possible.

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i can think of two:

the first is one we used to always do at gymnastics (man, ive quotes old gymn things twice tonigt!):

get a person to lie down with their hands above their head and their eyes closed. the second person says the following story:
you're lying at the beach on a gorgeous summer day. you can feel the sun shining down on you and warming every inch of your body. you can hear the waves crashing against the shore {etc, to build up the picture}. you hear a dog running up beside you, it's panting because its so hot. the dog walks around to your right side {at this point, person 2 goes to person 1's right side} and starts to dig a hole {person 2 pretends to dig a hole by making the scratching sounds of the floor just to the side of person 1's body}. the dog keeps digging and digging. then it gets up and moves to your other side, and digs some more {do the same but just next to person 1's left side}. then the dog, satisfied with its work, leaves you to the sunshine.
you decide that its time to get up, so you slowly bring your arms towards your side {get person 1 to move their arms slowly and in a straight line, down to their sides}

it should feel like their arms are falling in the 'holes' dug by the dog!

another is:
-kneel down
-put your elbow to your knee and then put your forearm straight out on the floor
-at your fingertips, have someone place something small that can tip over (i suaully use an eraser or a sharpener)
-then, put your arms at your side and leaning over (still kneeling!) knock the object over with your nose!
it's another one of those things that women can do but men can't because of their centre of gravities (on saying that my friend who is a guy can do it)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Here's one.

Get a rather petite woman to stand with her two index fingers touching each other in front of her ("E.T. Phone Home" style...with the elbows stuck out from the sides). Then get a big, burly man from the audience. His job is to pull her two fingers apart.

No matter how strong he is, he can't do it because of the leverage. The teensy muscles that pull the arms out to the sides can't match the power of the pectoralis muscles that pull the arms in front of you.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
here's one that is both pointless and highly amusing for those inflicting it!! biggrin

get someone (or you can do it - if you like pain!) to put both their pinky fingers in their mouth & bite the tips (ie. on the centre of the nail) with your sharp front teeth (your canines) for ooh...thirty seconds!! then link the tips of the pinkies (like a pinky swear) and pull. OW! but ubblol

ubblol

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
GRAAHGG!!!mad
That feckin hurt Margita!
Felt like someone spiked me!
Grrr... wink

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
doesn't it just?! ubblol

it doesn't seem like it would hurt that much - but dang! ubbloco

and i guarantee you will do it again...and again! i do!! ubblol

kitemanFlying high!
245 posts

Posted:
OUCH!!

OUCH!!

OUCH!!

your right I can't stop doing it.

Don't push the red button springs to mind.

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough!

It's not the size of the wave, it's the length of the ride!

griffinfeminine tiddly pom
505 posts

Posted:
ok, another funny pain one
make an "ok" with your fingers
grip your chin firmly within the o
hold it there for about 15 or more secs
then flick it a couples of times, quite hard
you end up with a really silly bruise

in state of metamorphosis

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
kind of similar to Rouge's but when we were in school, our drama teacher used to make us do this one -

get the person to lie down, close their eyes, and stand just behind their heads and hold their hands in yours (you standing still). Tell them that they are on a plane and they have to abandon the plane and they got the last parachute (making it sound very dramatic and convincing of course). Just after they've 'jumped' begin to very very slowly lower their hands to the floor. They'll feel like they are falling and never gonna land. It's a horrible feeling but fun nonetheless! biggrin

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Hmm... we do things like this all the time at Venturers, so I have already attempted alot of them.

OK this one requires two people. Person one holds out one hand and person 2 squeezes their hand as tight as possible until it starts hurting, then hold for a few seconds, then release. Person one shouldnt be able to move their hand if it is done properly. This one feels really strange.

This one you need 4 people and a plank of wood on top of 2 pieces of wood so it is easy to pick up. Person 1 is blindfolded and stand on the plank of wood. People 2+3 crouch on both sides of the plank of wood. Person 4 stand in front of person 1 and person one places their hands on person 4's shoulders.
People 2+3 lift up the plank of wood slightly and shake it to make it seem like they are going high, while they are doing this person 4 starts lowering themselves down and keep going down until person 1 has trouble touching their shoulders.
For person 1 it seems like you have gone metres into the air, when it is only 30cm, then tell person one to jump and see the shock on their face when they land.

I have another one but I cant remember it.

DFZBRONZE Member
Christian Death Metal Anyone?
313 posts

Posted:
Something that is probally not what your looking for but kids enjoy it none the less.

The child is to bend over and grab his toes with his legs as straight as possable. Put a small choclate bar in front of their feet and try to get them to jump over it with out letting go of their feet.

When i ran this i had one kid manage to do it with out letting go, out of a group of about twenty.

Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?
-- Steven Wright

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So many of these are so much fun! I am really enjoying this. And I am getting some great ideas as well for how to structure my show based on these things!

One displays the powers of the mind, similar to hypnosis really.
The other actual science prinicples as applied to the human body. Which is great too.

Worked in with my sideshow stuff, this show should be great!
Thank you all soooo much...and if any more are out there I would love to hear them!

(BTW...during the day I take care of several 9 year olds-son and friends-and they have been my guinea pigs. I need to find a camera man! lol)

This is fantastic! I knew you would all pull through for me! Thank you!!!!!!
hug
Pele

Pele