Page:
nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
ok me and my fire troop were hired to spin at the fair.

wich i love but im on the third day know and after spining for 6 hours a day my hands begun to bleed!!!! i tryde wearing gloves but it just didnt work for staff. but help help i need help. any one have any ideas???

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
6 hours a day is way too long.

As performers for hire it may be beneficial to you to agree some limits with future employers.

Could also benefit other spinners; it would be a shame if potential employers get the idea that spinners are happy to spin till their hands bleed smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
yes i agree. do you know of somthing i could put on my hands to make them better???

wouacGOLD Member
Poi-tato
183 posts

Posted:
one would think that since they were pushed to the point of bleeding hopefully ull get more calluses and it wont happen again for awhile
but one also sees purple elephants

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potato's.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Stop spinning! Your hands are buggered - let them rest and heal.

If you're spinning fire then your hands are going to be messed up sooner due to the parafin. In future buy some hand cream - I use hand cream if I've been spinning/juggling for ages and my skin dries out. I've got Fairy soft hands!

And in future don't spin for so long!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
its true, every tiem dom hot e with a rolled up news paper to stop me comming near him, i always think how soft his hands are!

i agree with dom, stop spinning, and hand cream, i would also suggest maybe looking at teh type of grip you are using, if you kwo you will be using them foe a long tome, try padding them to stop them rubbing so much?

Step (el-nombrie)

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
If they're not fire poi (and don't need the strength that fire poi handles would), I would suggest, in addition to all the good advice already offered, making some nice soft handles. I made myself a pair of double finger loop handles from velvet ribbon, with the velvet side in contact with my skin. I could spin lightweight daytime poi for hours with those and not have sore fingers smile Obviously no good for fire poi though frown

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
1. don't leave home without the industry (arashi) standard fire dancer field dressing! you need the fruits of the vietnam war on your side. super glue was invented as an instant field dressing. it bonds instantly to skin,, stops bleeding, forms a semi-hard shield over a cut or blister, and is easily transportable. i personally prefer the "gel" variety as it doesn't flow like water, like the original flavor glue, allowing you to build up a large area or thicker shell for nastier areas. if you are doing a show and you cut your hands or blister them, there really is nothing better, i assure you. it does get a bit slippery over large areas, maybe for staff you could imbed a piece of cheseclothesque substance or even sand to perovide traction. there's even a brand of gel that comes in a hard grey and blue plastic case so it doesn't get squished and puke up into your fire gear bag. i think it's "crazy glue gel."

2. if it hasn't gotten that bad yet, duct tape or electrical tape is the best for keeping the blister from starting. if a blister has begun to form you can stick a small piece on the back of the tape "bandage" so it doesn't stick to your blister.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
thank you all for the info ::):

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
eek arashi! Hard core! Do you train on a bed of nails and a machine gun firing over your head?

Instead of going mad with the duct tape like the commando of spinning up there you could use slightly softer medical tape.

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Most people that frequent bowling alleys will tell you the virtues of 'nuskin'.... a slightly less hardcore version of superglue that they tend to take on tournaments... I'd forgotten bout that smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

kitemanFlying high!
245 posts

Posted:
Once you hands have healed, use surgical spirit on your hands, it hardens the skin. Handcream will make them softer and the problem will return.

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough!

It's not the size of the wave, it's the length of the ride!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
lol arashi when you are serious, you crack me up as well, bro!
:hides in bunker:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
If you want some gloves, get the ones used by rugby players, they are 100% skin tight so there is no friction on your skin. Downside is that they are mitts so don't cover the tips of your fingers, and you may want to see how inflammable they are. If that doesn't work go and wave your hands at your hirer and threaten legal action! Just a suggestion.
bounce bounce2 bounce

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
thank you all for the good advise
and to flame boy i dont belive in suing people of silly stuff i may be a american but that donst meen i have to be a ASS
but thank you all

TeeJaymember
75 posts

Posted:
When my son burned his hand he refused to consider stopping - he put gauze and covered it with football tape.

Teejay

6,978 posts

Posted:
take care of yourselves, lovely fire people! compassion begins with the self, otherwise your kindness is exhausted too early, like pouring water out of a leaky jug(!)

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
bender you are silly but in the good way

6,978 posts

Posted:
rofl to be honest that was a serious post(!) smile

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
i know bender that what was silly to hear you be serious is not a every day event

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
For future refrence you could try not using loop handles.
I've found some nice soft feeling boat rope (bout 1/4 inch across) and have tied some two finger monkey fist knots and attached them to the quick links on my fire poi to use as handles instead. I don't get any rubbing, chafing, bleeding or soreness at all, (not that loops ever did much to me anyway) they don't drop or fly away, and they're very strong. They also allow you to do throws and stuff much much easier

Let's relight this forum ubblove

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: Custom Bug

For future refrence you could try not using loop handles.

i think native's talking about staff....

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I spinned more than I ever did in one day this weekend (about 7-8 hours all told). Mine handies are indeed a bit sensitive this mornin (rubber grip). I think they'd be alot worse if I didnt rub some cream into them after I finished giving them a good cleaning.

I use Nivia for Men, because I am a boy and dont hold with all that girly stuff smile

Love is the law.

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
yes yesterday was my last day at the fair know my poor hands can finaly heal smile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

I use Nivia for Men, because I am a boy and dont hold with all that girly stuff smile

was it not you who was having a sponge bath with those Johnson's Baby Wipes.....??? biggrin

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:

Those were very manly wipes!!!

Love is the law.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I've said it before, and you may think I'm sick, but it works. It's an old gymnastics/trapeese trick.... Pee on them eek

Just do it in the shower, not sure how it works but it heals blisters tears and rips in no time. Believe it or not it's almost sterile, the urea must be part of the trick.

Once it's healed I'd try Tincture of Benzoin, it hardens the skin ( old rock climbing trick for fist jams wink )

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

6,978 posts

Posted:
^^^ everything i know about peeing on my own hands, i learnt from the internet. wink

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Written by:

^^^ everything i know about peeing on my own hands, i learnt from the internet.

thats made my day that comment...my fancy is well and truly tickled ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
can i tickle your fancy gnor??? ubblol

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
So how long did it take you to learn how to pee on your hands?

wow

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Page: