Forums > Other Toys > Atempdefinitive Fire Fan List of moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Well somebody hard to start it wink This just a list/classification of fan moves and families. Not a comprehensive list, as I've had more martial arts and eastern performance exposure than I have from something like burlesque, for example. Also, most of the moves I described(with the exception of flicks) are described using a fixed fan with a full 180 degree sweep. One more thing, this isn't an attempt to technoclassify the art, nor will you hear any theorems about super string theory or quantum mechanics. Fans are best left up to your own interpretation of how to dance with them. These aren't exactly a tool you can stand in one place with.

**heh, doing this over the period of a few days, bear with me eh..Also, any and all ideas, thought or criticism appreciated.

Families

Weaves

Used to describe split time, same direction spins using both fans.

Regular weave: similiar to a 2 beat weave using poi, forward or reverse. It's easier to work your way up to this move, especially in reverse, figure out how your wrist needs to turn one hand at a time.

Straight Arm Weave: As each arm pulls back from weave(ie your bottom hand forwards, hand on top in reverse), let it swing your arm straight, continue until your arm is back in front of you, then pull that arm in as your wrists are beginning to cross when they move to the other side. You can also repeat on the other side, alternate from side to side, stagger, use it to setup for a piruoette, butterfly kick, you get the point, it's a good way to build momentum.

Windmills: Same hand movement as poi windmill, 2 beats on each side. These can be separated as well, looks very nice.

Corkscrews: Horizontal version of the windmill, can be separated, and using some fan designs, you can acheive a fully straight arm separated corkscrew

Piruoettes

Yep, they deserve their own family. Used to describe movements where the body does a complete 360 rotation.

Vertical Pirouettes:

Straight arm: Both arms are straight up/down respectively, arms exactly 180 degrees apart, ie one hand at 12 pointed up and one hand at 6 pointing down. Can be done forwards or reverse. Easiest setup for this is from the straight arm weave, tho it can be done from a freeze, butterfly, etc. Most are done with the torso upright, arms rotating at shoulders as the body rotates to the right or left. Also to note is that the turn usually happens when the fans are at 12 and 6 o'clock.

Non straight arm: Two types of these I can classify, one where the fans leads outside(arms tucked), and one where the fan is insde(fan is tucked, usually the elbow leads).

Horizontal Pirouettes:

Straight Arm: Both arms are straight out to sides, fans flat(horizontal), body spins left or right.

Non Straight Arm: Again, two types of classifications, fans outside, and fans inside.

Butterflys

Used to describe same or split time moves where the fans are spinning in opposite directions from each other.

Regular butterfly: Very similiar to poi butterfly, with the exception that the fans cross behind the body or the hands, and generally are separated. Basically each hand is doing a figure 8 in the opposite direction of the other hand.

Horizontal Butterfly: Horizontal version of above, extremely beautiful move.

Mexican: Can be done from forwards or reverse. Same movement as regular butterfly, except your hands are alternating front to back. Can be done split time as well.

Horizontal Mexican: Horizontal version of move above, so each hand is altarnating from top to bottom.

Parallel

Used to describe same time, same direction moves with fans.

Parallell Figure 8: Can be done straight arm or short arm

Parallel Fountain: Both fans do 1 forwards figure 8, body turns 90 degrees, both fans go behind the head, then the body turns again 90 degrees into a reverse figure 8.

**note: interesting variation of parallel moves is to keep one arm straight, the other short.

Flutters

Used to describe moves where the arms pull apart, then close together, similiar to a butterfly flapping it's wings.

Horizontal flutter: Arms come from straight out at the sides(palms out), fans held perpindicular to the ground in wall plane, both move forward at the same time, and meet together in front of you, then back apart(kind of like clapping your hands).

Vertical Flutter: One arm straight up, one arm straight down, palms out. Arms come together, then back apart.

** important note: this is just describing the mechanics of flutters, I can't really describe the finesse that must be done with these moves, but I'll try. Flutters are a movement of control, they must be done with absolute control to look right. From the descriptions you might think that these movements stem from the arm movements themselves but it's really the wrist movements that make these moves. For example as you pull forward your wrists pull back 30 degrees, and as you pull back your wrists pull forward 30 degrees(or so). Look at a bird flapping it's wings and you'll get what I'm talking about, it's not pounding the air into submission, but curling it's wings around it.

Stalls/Freezes

Flicks - Folding fans

Throws

Rolls

Transitions

Weave to Butterfly

Butterfly to Weave

Plane Changes

EDITED_BY: musashii (1090616196)

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Cheers Musashii,

plenty for me to learn! I'll post here once I know what I'm on about.

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Here's a throw from the standard weave:

whilst weaving as one hand goes over the other exaggerate the movement so that the whole arm follows. The "other" hand releases the fan as the wrist hits just above the elbow. The fan will spin once all the way round before catching with the other hand whilst still weaving. This move can be adapted to become an upper arm roll.

>I'm optimistic.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
YAY!!! Thanks musashii smile I've been working with fans for a few months now, so this should come in handy, although I generally just transfer my double staff moves over to fans, however the opportunity to add some nice stylised moves readily presents itself with a pair of 5 wick'd beauties.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
awesome, glad you two are able to get some ideas from this..I'll work on finishing this then. I'll add that throw in too, gelfling, if anyone has something they have as well let me know wink

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
I've been playing with flutters and can now corkscrew whilst fluttering.

Pretend that each fan is one side of a butterfly and horizontal flutter with both hands next to one another. Then bring one elbow over your head, so that your head will pass under the inside of the elbow and then twist the upper arm so that the fans come back to the origanal position. Make sure that the hands remain next to one another i.e your head will pass under the other arm as the first arm twists back to the origanal position. This move can lead into a nice transition from flutter to "normal" corkscrew or weave.

>I'm optimistic.

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Another throw,

same as the under arm one only throw under the oposing leg instead. The fan will need a bit more spin on it and will therefore spin all the way round twice before catching with the same hand i.e. allowing for the height difference between under the leg and under the arm.

>I'm optimistic.

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
And another throw,

logically enough adapted from the above two. From the weave take the outside arm further out to the side and then bring it behind the back. Release the fan at the point where your arm cannot go any further to your other side for a throw over the shoulder. The catch is the tricky bit.

Either catch using the hand that already has a fan in it and then throw both fans up followed by catching each fan in each hand or bring the btb hand to the front and catch there. Make sure that the other fan doesn't get in the way is the real trick, unless you want to go crazy and catch the fan on the other fan i.e. the fan in hand is on a horizontal plane and you catch the thrown fan so that it balances off this one on a vertical plane before being thrown up again (haven't got this trick to work yet but I'm sure its a go'er!!! smile )

Think that just abouts makes sence redface

>I'm optimistic.

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
you may try to add a trigger-loop just inside the handle, for the ability to incorporate that little spin trick. mine have them, and i use them at high speeds to get the wicks to pass in a gear's teeth fashion, as well as horizontal and vertical triggerflips. looks wild as hell, believe me. when i have enough posts to get photos up, i'll make sure to include the pic i have of that.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

241 posts

Posted:
aerial opening for folding fans: start with fully closed fan, open ONE rib in the correct direction. toss into the air with a wrist-flick. works every time. i use it behind the back for a neat effect, that leaves everyone wondering how. it may take some getting used to, but if it was too easy, would you really want to do it?

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

241 posts

Posted:
i have put up the pic i spoke of, in ,y gallery. it's a one-second exposure with a five pointed fan design, using the triggerloops for a "gear-tooth" type maneuver. the fans must be a rigid design for this move to work.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Bump! was searching for fan design discussion then found this rather useful thread *runs off to practice*

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I get a really kick out of them i've only done it a couple of times but really enjoyed them .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

MaaiSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
Wow I like this topic, couldn't we have these explanations with .gif's or little movies like the poi classes on the site?

Without Poi in heaven, I won't go!

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I'm waiting for the big fans to come back in the HoP shop! ^^

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
mwahahahaaa! more followers flocking to the dark side ubbrollsmile

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dentrassi

mwahahahaaa! more followers flocking to the dark side ubbrollsmile

I just put my order in for them wink

I'm looking forward to strutting around in the backyard with them on biggrin

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
and posing too! posing is very important ubbrollsmile

whyBRONZE Member
not _Y_
720 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dentrassi

and posing too! posing is very important ubbrollsmile

sigh... I wish I had fans to pose with frown

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Posing, ponceing and generally wiggling biggrin Yay for fans ubblol

Why is Clare not in this thread?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
wave

smile

Stances are important with fans (and any fire stuff, methinks)... change the height you are presenting at by dropping into low stances - work on the thigh muscles biggrin and change the speed.

But mainly, know the piece of music you're dancing to and think about the breaks - what move or poncey pose suits the piece?

smile

Getting to the other side smile

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
I've been watching a hell of a lot of Ballroom and Latin recently (Blame strictly come dancing rolleyes) and i can really see movement and gestures which could really be applied to fans.

I agree the music should almost dictate the fan and your motion, i've been playing with classical through to modern Hip-Hop/R'n'B and come up with some really interesting ideas (spins especially).

I want to play more with static shapes (poses) and have found some interesting shapes with the "low" as Clare describes but stances focused on a spine shape (twist and bend).

I think just to dance is to inspire others. smile

Gayle.....!

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
My fire fans came! I've already cut myself several times attempting to do a buzz saw with them XD

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
Fans sound like a direct crossover from freehand glowsticking, I might have to get me some.
And at that if feel the impulse to metion a glowsticking move called liquids. basicly makeing a wavey motion whith the hand leaving a trail that resemble the waves on the ocean. Past that get creative with this one.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

whyBRONZE Member
not _Y_
720 posts

Posted:
 Written by: acidchild

And at that if feel the impulse to metion a glowsticking move called liquids. basicly makeing a wavey motion whith the hand leaving a trail that resemble the waves on the ocean.

I seem to remember reading somewhere "flutters" being a similar motion for fans... but can't remember if they were static, or moving like your liquids.

--------

ack never mind... I re-read the beginning of this thread

spank
EDITED_BY: why (1163843113)

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
Flutters sound like a two handed verson of a liquid. liquids are the same type of movement just with one hand, and the other doing posibly another movement or tucked awawy behind the back ( use caution doing this with fire!!)

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Flutter can be done with either one or two hands - with one hand it's nice to have the two fans together giving the illusion of just one fan before seperating as though they are opposing wings to an insect opening up.

>I'm optimistic.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
errrm - now I'm stumbling over this thread for the first time.

Do I get it right that we're using similar, or same expressions (names) for fanny moves, as we do in poi - (Even though you really can't perform a "butterfly" with fans - correct me, if I'm wrong) - just because we're lacking creativity [/ironic statement]?

Posing - indeed - is a main aspect of performing with fans (especially if the performer lacks a variety of different moves). Rather than repeating the same move 100times, one is far better off just pausing and remain in a pose. The static expression of confidence and silent grace carries the performance much further, than turning ones-self into a pattern repeating machine... redface no insult help footinmouth

{therefore I also recommend tango, or any other music than 180bpm acid trance... rolleyes and goes back into hiding}

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hi guys,

fire fans are an important part of my professional show now, and am considering two structured classes (on movement/planes and throws/acro) after the response recieved from this last summer.

I've been stockpiling footage and realise that i haven't released a vid in ... years

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
BENDER! umm how can you not spend as long as it takes to edit your footage and make us watch you in AWWWWE) *shakes head in disguts! wink

Just stumbled across this master. It's very calm, but I always struggle with my footwork...

enjoy master taichitsao:

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Kitsune34SILVER Member
51 posts

Posted:
Hi. I'm Miss Visual. wave I'm no good at reading and comprehending things that translate into action. I needs help!!!! eek

Is there anyone willing to put videos online of all this jazz?

"Always forgive your enemies, for nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

Page: