Page:
griffinfeminine tiddly pom
505 posts

Posted:
right, been thinking for ages about getting either my nose or tongue pierced, with different reactions from different people
mates-yer!! go grace!! ill come/hold your hand/get something pierced too/woohoo!!
brother-yer...blatently..pass the hasesh...
mum-i'll be disappointed, i dont like piercings
dad-if you want to act, dont get your tongue pierced. my concern, apart from your safety, would be the lack of respect prospective employers would give you if they saw you...

so, i figured poi people would be knowledgable on such matters. im ok with keeping any holes clean etc, so...? ive thought a lot about it. ive been uneasy in my lifestyle for a while and altho, a hole and bit of metal wont help, it sorta symbolises the changes im implying at the moment. im dying part of my hair pink and maybe getting it wool wrapped so...continue the ball rolling? ubbrollsmile

in state of metamorphosis

TeeJaymember
75 posts

Posted:
Start with your nose - less painful and actually quite nice.
I'd think twice about the tongue just because of health reasons and the fact that it really looks painful.
I've tried to get my son to get a tattoo (tau-lima - a samoan armband) - but his girlfriend doesn't want him to.
Go figure.....

Teejay

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
the only problem i can see is the addiction...

i only have 9, but i'm trying hard to stop myself getting another one or i'll look silly!

peircings are fun! you can fiddle with them, and you have something to talk about at dull parties! i say get one, especially if you feel like a change in indentity, it'll make you feel really different.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
Written by: Quix

Firstly an industrial (bar that goes point to point in the ear) and an orbital (two holes with a ring that goes through both holes so half the ring is on either side).

The twist, I want the industrial through the orbital. So it's an orbital at an angle *inside* the ear, with an industrial going point to point at a slant from the side of the ear to the top of the ear going through it so they intersect at 90 degrees.

Is it too much to go from nothing to that? Would it look ridiculous? What do people think?

I have wanted this done for so long, as has my friend who first showed me a pic.. what looks even better is to have 2 orbitals through the industrial ('scaffold' as i had always known it to be called, but found out pretty quickly from getting quotes in Aus / NZ that they call is industrial..). It's technically 6 piercings though so is mega expensive and I've not really got enough ear space left frown

Go for it if you have a nice empty ear though Quix!

animals who are not penguins can only wish they were

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
yeah, that sounds incredible.

i want you to do it just so i can see a pic!!!

think of it this way - you'll be depriving me if you don't, and what a waste of a beautiful blank canvas...

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
Quix, I think you should go for it! Sounds really cool. smile

If it were me, though, I'd get one piercing done and wait for it to heal before getting the other.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
I have two empty ears (so I'm hoping it won't unbalance my face too much).

I'm doing a lot to change my look at the moment though (no doubt as things happen there will be pics) and this piercing just came to me and i want to do it.

There's a great body modification, piercing and tattoo festival here in Cheltenham that I'll be attending and I'm going to be talking to piercers about quotations and stuff.

Thanks to you all three for the encouragement biggrin

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
yeah, other Elanna is right, you would have to get one part done at a time, don't think any piercer would do it all at once, can you imagine how painful that would be?! the silly thing that has always put me off a scaffold is that apparantly they put two rings in the holes first, which obviously looks odd as they will be at crazy angles, then when they are healed they can swap them for the bar.
on a slightly related note, my conch is finally at the lovely scabby puss stage so i'm having fun picking at that every morning ubblol gross i know, but it's healing nicely..

animals who are not penguins can only wish they were

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Quix - yeah you would need to get each piercing done separately and wait until it heels for the next. This is due to swelling. If you get them all done at the same time then after the swelling goes down the scaffold is unlikely to match up and if you go ahead and stick the scaffold in anyway various parts of your ear will be tugged and so you'll end up in discomfort wishing that you hadn't wasted approx £200 and stuff that you need to take out. A project like this will take time and any good piercer will agree. However, what a project!!! If your ears are the right shape go for it - sounds awesome.

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

912 posts

Posted:
You're all right of course and I didn't mean I was gonna try and get them done both at once, just talk to piercers about quotations.

The right shaped ear is my concern. I don't know what the right shape is. smile

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Just remember, when you go to do a piercing, they need to unwrap all the brand-new parts in front of you, use gloves, wipe the area off with alcohol, and in general be clean about it. You have a right, as a consumer, to ask as many questions about their sanitary practices as you like. It's your body, and if they act annoyed at you for it, then you can take your money somewhere else.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

912 posts

Posted:
Hehehe thanks for your concern, Lightning. Much appreciated. Good for everyone talking about piercings to be reminded but it's ok. I've got a lot of friends into body mod and I'm well aware of safety and stuff smile

I could show you some... interesting... piercings a friend of mine has. Sadly the most interesting ones really couldn't be linked to on HoP... no they're not *there* just close enough you can't see them without seeing *that* wink

She got on Richard and Judy (british talk show) for body modification. One of the first in this country to (legitimately) have their tongue split.

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
Satisfying HOPs Lust For Fire
308 posts

Posted:
If you plan to get your touneg pierced, I have a suggestion. Ask them if they can numb it first. This may seen wimpy but there's a good reason to do this. Part of swelling is caused by your pain sensors reacting. If the area is numbed first, the swelling will be reduced greatly. I've had friends who didn't have numbing, thinking it was wimpy to do, but they couldn't talk or eat solid foods for days. My firends that had numbing, including myself & which is usually a liquid they put on like a dentist does before he gives you a shot, were able to eat that same day. I had bagels & a steak that same evening & I barely notived the afterpain, nore like being a little sore after an initial tounge bite. Also, don't drink any alchohol for a few days after. It can cause excess scar tissue to develop. Make sure to get your tounge ring far enough forward as to mot risk hitting the major blood vessel that runs down the middle of it & switch to a shorter barbell once it's healed enough to safely do so, this will reduce the risk of biting it while eating & chipping your teeth.

Never settle for normal.devil
Average thinking brings average results.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Written by:

on a slightly related note, my conch is finally at the lovely scabby puss stage

teehee same with my belly. god this piercing lark is addictive. Like 5 minuets after a came out of the studio I knew that i wnated the other 2 sides of my belly done, and last night i dreamt that i went to the black pearl (peircing/tat studio) and got it done I woke up this morning expecting there to be three >.< ive got a loooooong list of stuff im getting down the day i leave school.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
the tongue hurts less than the nose, actually. aside from my hood, it was the least painful piercing i've gotten.

you can drink hard alcohol afterwards, but it increases healing time, not scar tissue. but DO NOT drink beer because of the yeast in it. you'll get a lovely yeast infection in your tongue, and i don't think you'd want that. there are actually two major arteries/veins in your tongue actually, and they run along the sides. that's why they pierce it in the middle. viper bites (the side piercings) are harder to do because of those blood vessels. you want to get it further back so as to have a less chance of it hitting your teeth constantly and wearing away your gums and enamel. i've never done numbing, but i've also never had a problem with my tongue afterwards. if you care for it properly, you won't get a lot of swelling. take double the dose of alleve immediately after to reduce the swelling, keep ice in your mouth (DON'T suck on it though, it'll rip the piercing), don't smoke or drink alcohol, and make sure to continue to rinse any time you put anything in your mouth other than water. i had almost no swelling at all every time i've followed those procedures, and i tell all my friends the same thing, and none of them have had problems with pain or swelling by following that as well.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I have seen some modifications (at Burning Man) that have made me wonder... (ok, they've made my stomach turn! eek)

But the Muslims have a saying that "Allah loves wonderous variety."

Neither individuality nor creativity know any bounds. ubblove

-Mike

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
Satisfying HOPs Lust For Fire
308 posts

Posted:
Pounce, I have to agree with you on the nose thing. However, the rest of what I said earlier is either what I experienced or what I've been told from people who've done my peircings. If my info was wrong, forgive me.

Never settle for normal.devil
Average thinking brings average results.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
well the alcohol can potentially cause more scarring, but that more applies to tattoos than piercings. the reason behind that is that alcohol thins your blood, causing you to bleed more, take longer to heal, and in the case of tattoos, cause some scarring.

i don't know a whole lot about human anatomy, but i think swelling just comes from damage to tissue, not from pain sensors. i was under anathesia for the surgery on my knee, thus didn't feel any pain, but it still swelled up like crazy. piercings closer to the tip on your tongue actually hurt more and swell more because you use the tip the most and thus irritate it more.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

912 posts

Posted:
Yeah I've seen some wonderful diversity, lightning and it's thought provoking if nothing else. Transdermals, lots of them, tongue splitting, that sort of thing. It's very much turning the body into a canvas, which is quite impressive commitment at the end of the day. Can't say it ever turned my stomach though, even when I saw the (rather bloody) photographs of the transdermal implantation procedure. Though I did think "owie, and all without proper anasthetic". Heh.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I saw one at Burning Man where this guy had basically stretched the skin out from either inner thigh so that the two flaps joined (and were attached by multiple barbells) in the middle, blocking access to the genitalia.

Hey, he's not hurting anyone else, right?

-Mike

912 posts

Posted:
I'd like to see that actually.

I'm a body mod enthusiast, I have to admit. Don't go in for extreme on myself (mostly cause I have horrible self image and don't want to draw attention to my own body much, hence why my piercing and hair ideas are so big, keep the attention above the neck wink ) but love to see what other people come up with, especially when they wear it well.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I just wanna know...why block access to the genitals? Makes it tough to pee...or to...

Right...family board. ubbangel

-Mike

912 posts

Posted:
Piercings can be taken out, of course.

Interesting form of chastity though, and there's a whole "thing" wrapped up in that.

Oh yeah, family board.

505 posts

Posted:
wow thats definitely special...its amazing what people can do now-a-days...
but what about the skin? is that always in the way? or does the piercings hold it accross?

505 posts

Posted:
i did it!! got my nose pierced today!!
the studio had been recommended by a couple of friends who had piercings from the same place, i've bought jewellery from there too. the people were really nice, opened it all infront of me, gave me a load of info on care and a spare stud.
im so happy!! but keep dreading what i'll tell my parents-mums away on hols and dad lives 200 miles away so...
o well! i have that little bit of metal in my nose!! bounce biggrin

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
He he he! I got my tongue pierced last night, grif!

biggrin

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

505 posts

Posted:
ahh! hows u? ur mouth?? its it still sore?? crazy all these holes and metal bits

SpitFireGOLD Member
2,723 posts

Posted:
It's not too bad. It hurt when I woke up this morning. It's definitely a bit sore, but tolerable.

Ice cream is my friend, along with ice lollies.

How are you doing? how's the nose?

505 posts

Posted:
now theres a big ol plaster on it. i tentively washed it earlier with salt water, but im not spoosed to be touching it...its irresisible! every now and then i just point at it and "i've got my f***ing nose pierced!!" its all v strange to plain gracie
kinda thinking about getting something else too...
noo!! resist!!

SpitFireGOLD Member
2,723 posts

Posted:
HE he he...addict!

I don't want anything else pierced, though.

Mind you...I sometimes look at Mand, and say, "I can't believe I got my tongue pierced!!"

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Well I'm an addict considering gettin a nipple done... me boyf bets I'd flinch with that un lol.... :P

Page: