Page:
griffinfeminine tiddly pom
505 posts

Posted:
right, been thinking for ages about getting either my nose or tongue pierced, with different reactions from different people
mates-yer!! go grace!! ill come/hold your hand/get something pierced too/woohoo!!
brother-yer...blatently..pass the hasesh...
mum-i'll be disappointed, i dont like piercings
dad-if you want to act, dont get your tongue pierced. my concern, apart from your safety, would be the lack of respect prospective employers would give you if they saw you...

so, i figured poi people would be knowledgable on such matters. im ok with keeping any holes clean etc, so...? ive thought a lot about it. ive been uneasy in my lifestyle for a while and altho, a hole and bit of metal wont help, it sorta symbolises the changes im implying at the moment. im dying part of my hair pink and maybe getting it wool wrapped so...continue the ball rolling? ubbrollsmile

in state of metamorphosis

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
ok my job is a piercer. and what i have to say is that if you are not shure about it dont get one.
its is up to you so make your choice.
just rember its not worth getting if you are just going to take it out

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
It all depends on the shape of your face as to whether or not certain piercings will look good. Tongue can change the way food tastes - many people complain of not being able to taste the salt in their food as much. As for prospective employers you can always take them out (although I recently had four university interviews and the one that excepted me was the one that I had forgot to take my piersing out for) - once in the job there is a freedom of expression law that makes it difficult for employers to ask you to remove them without sound justification - working with food, machinary, monkeys etc. As its a life style thing you might want to research into alternative therapies - pressure points on the ears, that sort of thing and find a place where a piercing will do some tree huggin' hippy stuff! Find a piercer you trust - witness them taking a fresh needle out of an autoclaved wrapper and witness them putting the needle into a sharps bin. Talk to the piercer about what they would get done if they had your face and come up with something unique - its their art as well as proffesion. Last piercing I had took an hour and a half to design, realise that it wouldn't look good, come up with something completely different etc etc - took 10 seconds for the needle to through - the pain!!!

Well I've gone on a bit - good luck.

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I used to argue this point with my parents all the time...at least with a peircing you can take it out....and it goes away (eventually)...and I used to argue with my parents that at least it isn't a tattoo (and yes at that time I was contemplating one of those too).

I eventually got my nose peirced and had the tiniest little stud in when I was working...unfortunately (I was a temp at the time) I lost a couple of temping jobs due to the fact that they didn't like my image (I wore suits to work so the issue was all over a stupid little stud in my nose).

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
yes! get pierced!! biggrin

oh wait...maybe i should go read the rest of the thread first...

ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
ok - i've read it now!! biggrin

i agree with native - if you're not sure, don't do it! it's a total waste of money if you're only going to take it out!

i've also been wanting to get something pierced for a while now!! it's been 5 years since i last paid to get a hole punched in my body! ubblol i was thinking about getting my labret pierced (below the lip), but every time i mention it to my mum she screws up her face & has a bit of a rant. (you'd think i'd learn!) and i have to weigh up the job thing too. i've heard of clear plastic 'replacement' jewellery i guess you could call it, so it just looks like a hole, not a piercing. but they would probably look funny in a labret. i was also thinking about getting my tragas (that bit that sticks out in the middle of your ear) done, but after considering the labret for so long...i'm not so sure.

the moral of the story is! don't get pierced until you're sure! biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I got my labret peirced about 4 months agto and work never said anthing about it. GeorgeB has about 15 peircings and she's never had trouble gettng a job, it's all about how you present yourself with most peircings. Flesh tunnels and such are dificult to cover up in the expected "respectable" manner but most are ok if you reduce them to small studs for interviews and stuff. And as for the tongue it's hardly noticable after a few weeks especially if you have a small bar instead of the massive one you have it peirced with.

Go for it, if you don' like it afterwards take it out.

Good luck tho and send us pikkars after yeah!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The thing about piercings that's nice is that if you don't like it...you can take it out.

Not so with tattoos. However, you don't get your money back, either way.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I really wanted my belly pierced so 10 years ago I found a good piercer and its completely part of me now. I did get my nose and ears pierced and it did not feel comfortable at all - physically that is. Also I did not actually want those piercings as much, I got my nose pierced cause Kota shaved off all his hair in Thailand and I wanted to do something I normally wouldn't too, and getting my nose pierced seemed like a better idea at the time than learning to do unusual things with pingpong balls!

If you are feeling uneasy in your life, then what do you hope piercing will symbolise as a change? Piercings, tatoos, hair colour change etc are all great if they are something you really want to do, though consider your motives - are they a disguise for you to hide yourself behind or an expression of self or just for fun?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

505 posts

Posted:
ive just wanted my nose pierced for..couple of years, but its been more of a background thing, recently, last couple of months, ive been thinking about it more the tongue is only with this recent train of thought
im going to this appar really good studio nearby and checking prices and advice etc
and i no/of someone whos got a flesh tunnel in his ear, at the mo hes working for a supermarket behind the deli counter but they asked him to take the fillerir bit out-without it it looks worse, but he is covering his masses of curly hair with a blue hair net so hahhahhaha

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
Written by: There is no 'e' in 'Lightning'

The thing about piercings that's nice is that if you don't like it...you can take it out.

I just wanted to back this very good point up. I had wanted to my lip pierced for so long but wasn't 100% sure and in the end just went for it. I liked it at first, but went off it within a month so took it out. It healed completely, and now I know that it wasn't for me but you don't really know until you have it done. Obviously there are money, pain and healing factors as well as how well a new piercing will suit you though, I'm not saying just go get anything done and take it out if you don't like it. Just that, you never quite know.

I've loved all my other piercings! biggrin Last time I paid to get a new piece of metal through me was 3 days ago in fact, a 'conch' piercing in my left ear - it goes up through the ear and out the other side and I love it ubblove There are some fantastically weird and wonderful ear piercings you can get these days...

I certainly wouldn't worry about tongue piercings with regards to jobs by the way. I've never had a problem with that (I only have ears and tongue pierced though, no facial ones) - especially if you have a small-ish stud on the top, a lot of the time people won't notice it at all. It took my Mum 6 months to notice mine and as far as I know, my Dad to this day still has not!! (we are talking 5 years here) ubblol

animals who are not penguins can only wish they were

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
not sure if anyone has mentioned this as I am to big of a hurry to read everything, but...

I know two people with tounge peircings who have chipped or worn their front teeth to the appearance of looking chipped because they are (or were) constantly clicking their peircing against their teeth. One took their peircing out and the other switched to plastic because neither of them could stop the habit. messing up your front teeth is DEFINITLY not worth it.

I'm kinda partial to nose peircings. two or my most favorite (now ex-) girlfriends had nose peircings.

(getting a little off topic now...)

navel peircings are sexy on women. cool

I don"t care much for any peircings in the crotch region for various reasons I won't get into here (though if you dig really deep into pounce's intro thread, you'll find it there)

nipple peircings are my all-time favorite though... ubbangel

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
I just thought I'd say that I have had my Tongue pierced for about 4 years now... I have never chipped my teeth, it didn't change the way food tasted, and has actually had no negative effect on my career what so ever! I heard a lot of horror stories before I had mine done, but if you get it done properly and you keep it clean then you shouldn't have any probs. The only negative that I can find about my tongue piercing is that you can't kiss someone else with a tongue piercing or they get tangled! *OUCH! very painful!*

Eveish

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
To back up everyone here - if you don't like it you can take it out. Go for it. I got my belly done about a week and a half ago and i love it!

I found if i wore a fake thing for long enough my mum just let me have it done. that worked for 2nd holes in ears, cartalidge in ear and belly! wear a fake one. (i remember seeing a fake tounge stud on ebay a lil while ago) and see if you like it. if not - dont get it done tongue
EDITED_BY: x_aimee_x (1090489918)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
GerogeB has had her tongue peirced for 7 years now, she still has the original bar it was pierced with in her tongue and it's never been out, not even once. As far as I know no negative effects for food/career/teeth/tongue/gums or anything else including airports. Although when adults kiss in that special way it makes for a lot more fun...for boys and grrls wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i've had my nose pierced for about 18 years now. although i rarely wear a nose-ring any more, the hole is still there. i don't think it'll ever close up, but it's tiny so it doesn't bother me.

my navel on the other hand.... that's been pierced for about 12 years and when i take the ring out, you can see a nastly little hole, so i leave the ring in constantly.

the ring in my navel is quite thick though, so i suggest if you're going ahead with this, choose a ring/bar that's not too thick to start with. that way if you decide to take it out, there'll be a smaller hole left to heal.

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
that's an awesome idea aimee!!!! biggrin fake piercings are a great way to get the feel of it, see how it looks & see if you like it!! at least then you'll have some idea if the piercing even suits you!!

i did that with the labret piercing that i want to get. just gotta try saving up the $$$!! ubbloco

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
BORING!

Get something interesting pierced. Have a look on the bodymod website and find something that will make you stand out from the crowd.

I specifically got the back of my neck done 3 times as I had never seen anyone else with it and the scars I've got now kind of look like some weird experiment has been done on me.

Though £120 is a lot to pay for 3 scars.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
i had my tounge pierced, and not only did ALL the spaghetti get wraped around it (and un-wraping it is not a pleasant sight in public) but i chipped my tooth one time.....i have had my tounge, ear, lip, eye brow and nipple done, the only ones i still have are my ear and nipple, nipple easy to hide, ear is exceptable now a days.......good luck man, weavesmiley

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Why is it boring? Just because it's not what you would have done?

Not everyone wants to get pierced so that they can have scars that look like they've had some wierd experiment done on them.

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
I've not had any probs with my tongue either. When I got it done I was working in a smart solicitors office and they didn't mind (in fact I don't think they even noticed). Chipping teeth could be a prob though if you play with it a lot. I never play with mine and according to my dentist my teeth are fine (I've had it done for some years now).

I did hear that having your tongue pierced can be really bad for your health and cause cancer and stuff. I did speak to a doctor who said that she hadn't heard of this so I don't know...

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
absolutely!

ok i don't know the whole conversation cause i haven't read it yet, but i just saw "piercings, should i?" and knew the answer already biggrin

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
HAHA! margita did the same thing i did!

ok, now i've read everything, and i still say go for it. what's the worst thing that can happen? you don't like it, take it out, and you've "wasted" money. we all waste money on things everyday. my guess is, you're going to like it. you've clearly thought about it for a long time, this isn't a spontaneous decision.

i wear my piercings to every job interview i go to, so that way they know it's part of who i am. i'm happy to take them out if necessary, but if they're going to hire me, they need to know that i prefer to keep them in. but that's just me. i've only had 1 place refuse me an interview based on my piercings. and every place i've worked out generally didn't care. i've only had to take out piercings for 2 different jobs i think. and if you get the tongue done, that's even less likely. besides, if you're gonna have pink hair, if they were to discriminate against you, i doubt it'd be on the piercings tongue

with the tongue piercing, yes there are some risks. you can chip or crack your teeth, you can wear away the lining of your gums. but if you have restraint with playing with it, it's not as likely. as you can see i have A LOT of metal in my mouth, and i haven't had any problems until recently. i found i tend to suck in and clench my jaw while i'm sleeping, so the bars have been rubbing against my gums. however, it's only cause i have the 4. if i take out one of them, i don't have that problem. and i've had my tongue pierced since 1997.

i have loads of piercings, so if you have any questions, i'd be happy to answer anything i can.

oh, and i've never had any problems with kissing other people with tongue rings.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
ditto to what pounce said.
I've had my tongue pierced for 6yrs now, and I've never had any problems with it. I don't click it against my teeth, so my teeth are fine.
I'm lucky when it comes to jobs- most of my employers have their tongues pierced too! (good piercing to have for outdoor activity work- it doesn't snag on the equipment... unless you're trying to lick it!)

If you don't want a prospective employer to see it, you can always put in a small clear stud, or (after a few months) just take it out for the interview. No big deal. biggrin

I'm currently thinking about getting my labret pierced...

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
biggrin And I think you definitely should go for it, Mand! Meanwhile...I wanna get my tongue pierced, but considering I talk on the phone all day with clients, I'll need enough time to heal, or hope that I don't swell up tooo too much....

biggrin

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
eh, it doesn't take that much time to heal. just get it done friday right after work. you'll be fine by monday. and i can give you excellent tips to make sure it doesn't swell much. i got my viper bites done and they barely swelled at all cause of how i took care of them. i was talking perfectly fine. heck, my parents didn't even know i got them done!

**giggles**

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
I know a lot of people with piercings and into body modification in general. A friend of mine just had six transdermals implanted into the sides of her head, for example. They look fantastic!

There is a prejudice against it with employers depending on what you have done, no question. Most of the people I know with something like a simple top of the ear, eyebrow, nose or tongue piercing don't get asked about it ever. Lip rings, sometimes.

It's when you get to things like the labret (which is a very cool piercing) or madison (surface piercing across the front of the throat) and other such noticable yet uncommon piercings that people start to get a bit confused by them and aren't quite sure how to react. However these people still get jobs, still are happy and they love the way their piercings look.

So really do whatever makes you feel best about you, but keep in mind you will without a doubt be changing your appearance to others and their perceptions of you. But then, if you weren't why would you be getting it done? wink

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

wouacGOLD Member
Poi-tato
183 posts

Posted:
most nose piercings usually look like expensive acne unless u have the proper face so id say get a little bead or something and see how it looks first

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potato's.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
have personally considered all kinds of piercings in all kinds of places, and it all sounds like a great idea until at some point I realise that actually getting it done involves somebody jabbing a needle through my skin, and that every time I was to take it out or put it in, it's still metal going through my skin. For some reason the mere idea of that gives me the heebie jeebies! eek

However piercings generally look great on other people biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

505 posts

Posted:
che hears every body! good advice; i have small sleeper silver earrings which i (hygenically) shoved on my nose-my brother thought it was real and complimented me (1 down, 6 billion to go...)
im a still thinking aboot it, but are getting surer and surer. im working first half of this week, and will get money soon after, so will probs by end of next week, but i'll let y'all know
ahh scary scariness much comforted by HoP thankyou

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
Now I don't want to turn the thread around to me but it seems silly to start a "piercings, should *I*" thread as well and as we're talking about it...

I had an idea recently to get a piercing, well, two.

Firstly an industrial (bar that goes point to point in the ear) and an orbital (two holes with a ring that goes through both holes so half the ring is on either side).

The twist, I want the industrial through the orbital. So it's an orbital at an angle *inside* the ear, with an industrial going point to point at a slant from the side of the ear to the top of the ear going through it so they intersect at 90 degrees.

Is it too much to go from nothing to that? Would it look ridiculous? What do people think?

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

Page: