Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep, yep, it is... running just at the same time as our workshops in the Crescent spank biggrin

Thanks bout Col Lisa... lol, see how it goes.

Anyone heard anything about the Amani's yet?

BobbinsSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
redfacewhoops Clare - sorry I didnt realise your workshops were on at the same time - what time do you start?
Are there still spaces in your class?
Tuesdays are going to be a bit busy now because my daughter goes to Lisburn community circus on a Tuesday night aswell. Plus I'd like to get to the crescent later for some fire.
I've just been practicing with some unlit fire poi in the back garden and hit myself right in the knackers eek well you know what they say no pain no gain. ubblol

Work Less, Spend Less!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

biggrin

Yep, most guys experience that when they start smile

Some girls have problems with buzzsaws biggrin

Our classes are 8.30-10... I think... shall check tomorrow

g'night

zombiedaleBRONZE Member
31 posts

Posted:
Clare i was thinking (possibly).

With the sun going down earlier thing now after summer main time. Should we start doing fire nights a bit earlier?

Just a thought we could start them at about nine pm half nine-ish.

And as the skin rips off i cherish the revolting thought That even if i quit There's not a chance in hell i'd stop- The Dresden Dolls

The truth no matter who it hurts - Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hellos Dale smile

Nice avatar... did you paint that?

I just responded to your email... smile

See you tomorrow night.

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Yeah that is a really cool avatar, I've been meaning to change mine so I'm off to google. It was cool to see you out busking Barry I'll drop in for tea next time I'm in town.

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

zombiedaleBRONZE Member
31 posts

Posted:
No, that one i stole by a comic book artist, its of one of my fave characters. Yes i'm a comic book geek and i don't care.

And as the skin rips off i cherish the revolting thought That even if i quit There's not a chance in hell i'd stop- The Dresden Dolls

The truth no matter who it hurts - Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

You should put some of yours up in your hop gallery...

smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi all,
just yo clarify,
THE PARTY IS ON A SATURDAY NIGHT- unless of course i'm totally mistaken wave
and thanks all for the good wishes,
live the dream...ubbideachoose reality

MUPnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
hello Clare!

I just came accross your post. I live in Dublin and am getting into poi. i'd love to meet other spinners around the country (specially Dublin) and would love to hear about gatherings/events.

here's my e-mail: maeve_power@hotmail.com

Take care,

Maeve

MUPnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Oops, that was supposed to be a private message. Oh well!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Heya Maeve,

You wont be short of spinners in dublin for sure. forget about your other life though... wink

So, whens the next spinulation gathering? The stagecraft party looks like a safe bet....

I will be extending floorage if need be... and i hope it is wink

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
see you at the cresent havent spun in a while thought it was time to dust off my toys

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Nice one... and I have some cash for you... see you tonight smile

For anyone interested who didn't get this email, something I sent round earlier today:

Hope you're all well.

So it's the end of the summer... finally back into the long nights - perfect for fire dancing smile

Our fire gatherings are going on through the autumn and winter, fortnightly, on Tuesday nights (next one tonight!) in Crescent Park, Belfast. But, we're moving the time forward to 9pm (so, from about 9pm-12.30).

Please bring your toys, drums, music, friends smile

Also, Lisa and I are restarting our poi workshops in the Crescent Arts Centre... they'll also be on Tuesday nights, from 8.30-10pm. The course runs for 12 weeks this time, and starts next week. Anyone interested in taking part should contact the Crescent on 028 90 242338. However, we're only taking 16 people in the class this time, and half the places were filled in the open day yesterday... just to let you know smile

This means we'll miss the first hour of the fire gathering, but Dale Mawhinney, from the first workshop, will be there from 9pm, to welcome new people and keep an eye on fire safety.... which is splendid, thanks Dale!! And hopefully, we'll be bringing along some new spinners at 10pm too!

So, hopefully see some of you tonight, or over the next few weeks... and if it rains, bah, it's only water... and the pub is nearby smile

Take care, happy spinning
Clare x

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
I think we should make the rowing club extravaganza another irish spinner's meet-up session!

Uber Rowing Club!

ubbrollsmile

Hope to see all ye smelly hippies there

grouphug

Ronan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
Hey Eimhin, Ado, Amelie, Ronan and Maiuki.....miss you all lots.....grouphug.....and send you the best most loverly greetings from Finland, Helsinki, thats where I am at the moment.......after a funny day with Antti.......thinking of you,
all the best,
love,
tina......kiss

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
hiya tina hug give anti a kiss for me and tell him that i hope his been training... biggrin

uber rowing club!!! savage...

speaking of smelly hippies, when are you and maggi coming over for dinner?

Love is the law.

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
heya honey!

will come to the bristol jc.....then to london and afterwards probably to berlin......then i have to finish my essay, but then i should have some spare time left......will remember you and the invitation....just stay in touch and it'll work out........or you could come to bristol or london and we will make ourselves another loverly dinner.... wink biggrin
hug

tina

- Ho Sa -

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i would dearly love to come to bristol, alas, i have decided that seen as how i am leaving ireland for the foreseeable future in January, i should probably concentrate on saing instead of partying for the next few months. especially becasue my bonus is performance and attendace related wink

but then i will be a man of leisure and on the contintent for a few months.. before we head east.

Love is the law.

Tir_na_nOgjourneyman
55 posts

Posted:
Whats goin on!!!??? confused

Im miles outta the loop!!

Who's goin where??? And when!?? And why??
What!! eek

Amelie, aiden, eimhin, barry, elaine, everyone I began to spin with is leaving the country! But why, why?

Noooooooooo!!!

Hopefully see everyone down in galway in a couple weeks, to try and talk you all into stayin but until then slán leat!

Rob smile wave

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Sorry Rob,

we we're going to tell you but werent sure if you could take it wink

if you and your lovely girly aare in need of a floor just let me know... and can you text me, i lsot your number...

Love is the law.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Everyone's leaving frown

Hopefully i'll see you all in Galway before you all head off.

For those of you in Dublin, don't forget that the Fringe Festival is kicking off soon - there's a "fire installation" happening on Georges Dock on Saturday and Sunday night from 8pm which sounds really cool. Also, I'm told that Fidget Feet's "I can't handle me" is supposed to be awesome - and includes lots of aerial circus stuff. All the info you need on The Fringe Website .

And no, i'm not working on the festival- I'm planning on chilling out, watching some shows for once wink and maybe having a beer too many in the Spiegeltent sometime - anyone else? ubbrollsmile

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
 Written by: Tir na nÓg

elaine

you mean helene(LN)? wink

uber rowing club, i likes it.. when is it on? the second last friday in september or something?? 22nd?

anyways, just popped in to say **BUSKING IN GRAFTON STREET FROM 9 TONIGHT!!**

*runs back to work*

ciao

Dr.F

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Doc, spoken to a few people should be a good turn out tonight for busking, and TWO drums!! see you tonight. devil devil devil devil devil

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
We're not leaving smile

Sure, we're just getting started...

Keep an eye on BBC1 and 2 over the next nine weeks or so... in between the programmes, you may see Misters Andy, Nick and Arashi, and Missus Lisa and I doing some pretty fire stuff...

biggrin

(Twas the Autumn launch last night, and it was wicked...)

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
and another big bounce bounce2 bounce for ado........will remember our loverly dinner.......and will give antti the kiss clap

take care,
tina

- Ho Sa -

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Its on saturday the 23rd

Be there, or be square smile

Also, if anyone is in galway, theres a party in our house on tuesday to warm it up another bit wink

Its also a bit of a going away bash for Amelie....

Love is the law.

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
sat the 23rd. will you book me and into casa di phelan & co for that night, i'll have a chat with LN tonight abt gettin time off work. dont think she'll be able to make it.
Frenchy, i might bring my darbuka too.. and im bringing my own fuel too.. no offense but red para is just far too stinky/toxic/bad for wicks. you guys should realy reconsider (/rant)

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Helen
Spiegeltent sounds good, sat evening maybe after the fire thing? Good to hear that you'll get to enjoy an event this time round with zero stress involved!
M

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
No worries Baz. Would be so sweet if LN could make it...

I was planning on going to bristol that weekend... I never realised the dates are the same... I'm all confused now frown

Rob, theres room for you guys too...

We have three toilets in our new apartment, not one, not two, but THREE!!! Theres only two of us living there... confused

Love is the law.

Page: ......