Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: flip

hi-hi everyone and happy new year, I hope we have all seen sense and put the festive containers away and returned to our toys...says I.

the convention sounds great, have a look at the page.

Bill and me have been working on some funny new contact passing and partner spinning stuff so anyone whose interested let me know and there'll be a nice little workshop lined up...but no partner butterfly stuff though, eh ado!?

Hi guys, hows the Limerick club going? Workshops(laughs,spliffies and excess spinning) may be in order in the new year, what do ye think?

I'm off to clon in the next few weeks to do a couple of workshops there one saturday; *warm-ups, movement, beat-counting,all fuffed out with a diabolo workshop,(for the 25strong diabolo-youth-army they have going down there), and then the same again for adults 'tee-hee', in the afternoon, but with balls mostly...and maybe sticks...it'll be fun and perhaps we could come together there for a little twirl. So far its mainly a clon thing but anyone is more than welcome to come along, if ye happen to be in the vicinity like;)

wow!look at that...i did a Fandango on it, well I guess I should stop drinking coffee and go to bed now since it is, after all, time to get up,

morning all,

e...

wave

I would be delighted to be your partner wink. . Looks like i'll be doing a contact workshop at the convention so if there is any requests... Watch out for the feature. Contact leg! I.e. 1/2 beat fish tail turns starring at least one behind the back entry smile

Why havent you visited limerick yet you slacker...!!! I want contact passing!!! And a trampoline. ubblol

Let me know when you headed to clon, i'd love to join ya. Perhaps we can have a look at the butterfly goodness then.incedently, I 've started editing our footage. Dont know about this weekend. Have a gig on saturday. Is it saturday or sunday for the cirque du clon??

All is well in the limerick club. About to mount a propoganda campaign shortly. Limericks not short of juggler and spinny types but their all flaky hippy types... no wait... thats us...

smile

wave's for everyone. cant wait to see you all at the convention. especially all new heads oppping out of the woodwork.

Savage website. Compliments to all those involved in the design. It looks great and the photography is lovely.

Love is the law.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Congratulations clap

I have emailed your emailaddress-at-firepoise.com
EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1137688096)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks James smile

Shall reply later this evening... I have to pick up a miss fluffy fairy from the airport biggrin

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Lovely website guys, well done,
Ado-what time is your juggly club on at on teusers and where is it?
The workshop sounds lovely, O Belfast will be fun...
see you all then

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Nice one Clare!
Looking funky smile

Ohhh Belfast in only 18 days

bounce

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Wicked... shall talk to you then...

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Hey all,

I'll be in Ireland from the 9th until the 15th of April - plan is to go to Gallway to get some horse riding in. Any suggestions for places to visit etc would be most welcome. May see some of you soon.

hug
Stoo.

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
You are muchly welcome to come visit Lisa and I in Belfast any time Gelfling biggrin

It'd be great to see you and your cj'ing biggrin

Take care
Clare x

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Let us know closer to the date Gelfling, we have a lovley new place overlookin the mouth of the river and cushty twirling spots abound...

the foods not bad either...can you cook?*smiles*

E...
EDITED_BY: flip (1138125411)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ahemmm...

Shameless plug alert....

Well then m'lovelies... Check out BBC1 NI tonight (Monday 30 Jan) at 7.30pm... Inside Out.

Watch as Joe Lindsay is taught poi (ahem, badly), but he picks it up quite well and has his first burn!!

Oh yes, and you might spot some familiar faces smile smile

Also... check out www.firepoise.com sign up to the mailing list, if you haven't already (and sign up all your friends and family too biggrin)

See you all at the Belfast Juggling Convention next week hug

(Oh, and I forgot to say, a few of us are heading out to Tara on thursday night for Imbolc... if anyone would like to come join in this ancient celebration, please get in touch with me. It will be cold :shiver:)

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ok. shrug ubbloco

EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1138645367)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

kileynewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Irish in Vancouver, spinning with you.
Ki

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Sweet!!!

But what are you doing over there?!!! Come spin with us here biggrin

hug

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
So i sat in front of tv at 7.40 eek

i saw a dude i went to school with, that Zabelia fellow, which surprised me! - man how life works out for some ubblol However - i saw no irish spinning massive frown

Was it the first thing on? Did my slack arse miss it? or did that peckham fella not play ?

frown

i saw him in my local video shop just the other day, ch-wis packham i think his real real name is............. or birdman as i used to know him - i guess he still lives around here somewhere! ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
?!

Am very confused smile

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Do you get differant TV to us or what?

Was i even watching the right thing ubblol

confused

it definately was insideout yeh?

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep... in Northern Ireland (tis a regional programme)?

biggrin

I think if you're outside Ireland you had to watch it on Sky ubblol

Never mind, we have it on DVD... hug

Lisa looked gorgeous in the opening, James (DSS) looked wicked, so did Ros and Steph - we were muchly happy biggrin

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
Hey hey,

Say the show - well done guys, it looked sweet. Clare - you did really well, cool as funk.

T'was the best Poi recruitment video I've ever seen!

Well done again.

All the best,

Darrell

Remember what the doormouse said

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
eek

Written by:

The sale of magic mushrooms is to be banned in Ireland, following a lobbying campaign by the family of a man who died after eating the drug.

Mary Harney, the health minister, told the Dail last week that legislation is being prepared to make possession or sale of magic mushrooms a criminal offence. This will bring Ireland into line with Britain, where they were classified as class A drugs alongs

Their passing the law today...

Love is the law.

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
From the Irish independent:

15:58 Tuesday January 31st 2006

A ban has been imposed on the sale of magic mushrooms. It follows an action taken last week whereby the right to sell them was challenged in the Courts.

The Minister for Health Mary Harney was this afternoon given Government approval to ban their sale with immediate effect.

It will be illegal to sell the mushrooms in their raw form under the misuse of drugs act 1977.

Last week, the owner of a shop in cork which sells magic mushrooms failed in court to stop customs seizing shipments of mushrooms she imports.

Helen Stone told the high court customs officers had seized four shipments of the mushrooms, worth over €7,000.

Tis a sad day indeed. We may have to venture up to you Belfast types more often!!

Remember what the doormouse said

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Always welcome smile

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
lol @ helen STONE , hehehehe.

btw kids, we got broadband in the flat now, so meself and helene will be postin outside office hours,mmmmmmmmmm.

FP, i have the clip recorded but still have to watch it, see ye all around in belfast.

*returns to hiding & project doing in the middle of work.*

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Hey there Mr Fandango!

Hope life over the water is fine and dandy........... smile

Can you hassle your good friend to upload some of that fine footage shot on my last visit - the fire wheel teeth passing, i would love to see that again biggrin

See you soon - hopefully!!

ubbrollsmile

761 posts

Posted:
I shall commence hasseling presently

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
hug2 for Mr Strugz biggrin

Barry, can I give you a ring tonight? Tried last night, but no joy frown

761 posts

Posted:
check your mobile for the new number honey, i'll be there late, gotta go to counselling. anything up, or u just wanna chat??

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Aww, you know, just about taking over the world

:muhahahahhaha:

smile

gerireMember
17 posts

Posted:
Only managed to catch the end of the tv show. Any chance of getting it online girls?

Im sure you all know this but I was in Visuals on Liffey St the other day and they have a decent enough selection of things. Poi's(€45), Firesticks, rings balls, clubs etc. Not overly cheap, but then again it wouldn't be dublin if it was cheap would it?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
wave gerire

I bought my first fire staff in there. It last about a month before the wick fell off. Then another month before it broke in half... i will neer buy anything in their again... if your looking for juggling toys in particular try signing up to one of the juggling clubs in dub. I believe trinity are about to place an order and get a tidy discount...

as for fire. honestly, your much better off buying it online... This website does a nice line in quality firetoys...

as does

www.tepookatoys.org... their in edinburgh....

Are you going to belfast? I'd be happy to make you a pair of poi or a staff or something...

Doctor Doctor... I got the drawings... smile Now all i need is an engineer to redline em for me wink

Hey cloudscape, long time no see smile hope your well in the big smoke...

Love is the law.

gerireMember
17 posts

Posted:
Wow thats a great offer thanks, I have 2 poi sets I got in thailand and was just letting anyone else who wanted stuff and didn't have cc know there is a place in the city.

Yeah I was talking to the girls from Trinity on the boards.ie juggling forum and completely forgot to go into her yesterday, dam my drinking!

/me goes off to do a bit of research into the Belfast juggling. I didn't know about it

Page: ......