Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. ÂŁ3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
realy? in fairness im probably not the best person for firast hand remembering of what happened after. i heard tell that there was destruction of chairs and spilling of beers all over... maybe that was just a dream, i had.

will you be around squarefish, havnt seen you in ages, it'd be nice to catch up in person.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

mosey101SILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
Although i left early from the hall my relative sobriety recollects that the hall was intact after the bitchen renegade/disco party...smelt a bit...though im pretty sure that was just some of my B.O.....good weekend though...good weekend....DJC...WOO!!

You my friend, i will defend and if we change, well i'll love you anyway

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
Sounds like good fun anyway biggrin

Speed of Dark: As yet unmeasured, but believed to be faster than light owing to its ability to move so quickly out of light's way. -- Terry Pratchett

[total number of times I've been hit in the head with poi: 10! <--- Double Digits!!!!]

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
I have to agree with Mosey, DJC WOOOOHOOOO and also BJC WOOOOOOHOOOOOO and I know it's a bit early but EJC WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO.

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
BJC? whats the B stand for?

Speed of Dark: As yet unmeasured, but believed to be faster than light owing to its ability to move so quickly out of light's way. -- Terry Pratchett

[total number of times I've been hit in the head with poi: 10! <--- Double Digits!!!!]

TheDeeSILVER Member
47 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _3C_

BJC? whats the B stand for?

British.

Normally held in the week after Easter, this year it's in Nottingham: see www.bjc2007.co.uk for more info on this year's BJC.

Dee

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
British, of course! Dunno how I didn't cop that.
looks like fun, shame I can't go this year frown

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Hey Hey,

Brian sent around this update about the DJC juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley. (woohoo etc ubbloco)

Mairead.

Fire Venue TBC

Holiday Inn no longer being used for renegade. in place we have a Mystery

Renegade... ooooh!

There will be a small show before the renegade. Anyone with a cool act,

please contact me!

So far nothing super special due to lackage of funds frown

So far costing is yet to be done, but i really dont imagine such an amazing

convention costing more than E15

Something else worth knowing eh.... well the mystery Renegade is gonna be

mysterious.. .. and great! biggrin no further questions!

Brian (brianoc15@hotmail.com)

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

t04201901BRONZE Member
79 posts

Posted:
Hi every1!

So wats happenin for the DJC then! Wheres every1 meeting up and that? See i'm more than likely gonna be on my tod, so if any1 would like to meet up for a couple o' bevvies and a spin, that'd be great. I'm sure i'll get a few pints in if some 1 can show me the ropes/where to go and take care of me, seen as tho i'm a lone poier wink

Much Love biggrin weavesmiley biggrin

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hello everyone! been internetless for a while, just poking my head to say hi & hope to see you all at the weekend of the djc.

hello to all new peeps i haven't met yet smile hope to meet some of you there.

aidan, your ed video looks class!! can't wait to see the whole thing biggrin

anyone looking for flags or saddle-bags please contact me at the djc, i've lots of new lovely designs for sale [/plug] tongue

laters...

L xx peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
oooo I might have a look at what flags you have ^_^

mosey101SILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
Saddle bags you say??? I think the elusive French 23 makes those...or not (i don't know why she's elusive i just really wanted to use that work)

Are they those bags or pockets the ones that go around the side of your trousers or have i missed the point complelty?

Also does anyone have any information on the Life Festival this year?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep, they are smile

Getting to the other side smile

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Cool, might take a look at those smile

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
Ooooo I guess I'll be looking at saddle bags too! I've always wanted on of those ^_^ didn't realise thats what they were called redface

maiukiBRONZE Member
51 posts

Posted:
Hey lovelys!!

Warming up for the DJC with those fancy workshops in Belfast ehh!!

Clare and Lisa, why don´t you live in the Basque country ehh?? So jealous I can´t make it this weekend,..!!

Enjoy mister bluecat and company for me!! You´ve even got Bigtoe over there!!

Hope to catch up with you soon,..Lots of love for the irish comunity!!!

Peace and Love

gyrospectdave1SILVER Member
119 posts

Posted:
hey, just thought id let you know, in case you wanna join us, there is a few of us meeting up in merrion park today at 3 for a bit of a spin and juggle, all are invited and very much welcome to join us.

mosey101SILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
Hey

the "mystery" renegade has just gotten more mysterious. I was talking to Brian today and he managed to divulge some informatoin to me though im not sure if i should be posting it online but anyway here it goes....

Firstly the fire show is going to be either at the Wolfe Tone statue (Its on the corner of Stephens Green park towards the Baggot street end) or else in Trinity square (Fingers crossed for Trinity square. Its still on the friday night as y'all know but i shall endeavour to make a posting as soon as i get thie information.

As for the renegade, after much nagging, annoying and prodding (and a bottle of Buckfast) he told me that that there are buses taking us to the location of the "mystery renegdade" at 7.00pm and dropping us back into town at around the 1.00pm mark whereby there will be a party of some sorts somewhere in someones house (we'll have to find a house i reckon for that one)

Anyway, back to playing more Gears of War.

Rock and/or Roll

Ian

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
7pm to 1pm?
Thats one bloody long renegade! wink tongue ubblol

761 posts

Posted:
dunno... ive seen longer.

btw martin, have you seen the "messiah j and the expert" video, the one that me u and LN were in, in the olympia. you cant realy make any of us out, but theres one scene where you can see my staff (and a bit of my face) LN's fab-flags (and a little bit of her shoulders), and i dont think you can be made out in the dim light... but you can clearly see your flashy balls.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Just watched that video on Youtube Barry - can't honestly say that i could make any of ye out - saw the props alright, but no faces!

And watching it made me think about the Elanor McEvoy video I was in when I was 16 - which i found on Youtube also ubblol how embarrassing.

Helen_of_Poi

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
Yar, 'twasn't a great shot was it?
you just know we're going to have to search that out now helen!
why not save us the bother and tell us the name of the track?

761 posts

Posted:
*cough*

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Damn you!

Tis funny though ubblol

Helen_of_Poi

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
shake yer beads out, kneelin down girlie! ubblol

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
That's my actual school uniform as well. Worst part was, that night I was going to see the Smashing Pumpkins in the Point (yes, the concert where the girl died). The film crew bus dropped me off outside the gig still in school uniform - absolutely mortifying as a 16 year old, believe me. Especially as it was a Saturday.

Wow, that was 11 years ago.

I feel old.

Helen_of_Poi

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
 Written by: t04201901

Hi every1!

So wats happenin for the DJC then! Wheres every1 meeting up and that? See i'm more than likely gonna be on my tod, so if any1 would like to meet up for a couple o' bevvies and a spin, that'd be great. I'm sure i'll get a few pints in if some 1 can show me the ropes/where to go and take care of me, seen as tho i'm a lone poier winkMuch Love biggrin weavesmiley biggrin

yup sound, I'm up to dublin about two or three on Friday if anyone's up for a juggle/spin/splev vies/or whatever let me know ubbidea...meeting house square in temple bar for the afternoon anyone? This will be my first convention in 9 months... i'm so excited! biggrin
Big up to Brian for (so far as I've heard) single-handedly putting the convention into actuality clap

t04201901BRONZE Member
79 posts

Posted:
Not long now!!

Bring it on!!

Che-mone mutha fu[ka

TheDeeSILVER Member
47 posts

Posted:
Have just confirmed details about this evening's Fire Show with Brian of DIT fame...

Temple Bar Square from 7pm

See y'all there

Dee

761 posts

Posted:
thats temple bar square, where the aib bank machines are, yeah?

Page: ...