Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
Hiya everyone wave
Clare suggested I pop on by and introduce myself in here
My name is also Clare (3C is what my friends call me), and I'm here in Dublin ^_^

Speed of Dark: As yet unmeasured, but believed to be faster than light owing to its ability to move so quickly out of light's way. -- Terry Pratchett

[total number of times I've been hit in the head with poi: 10! <--- Double Digits!!!!]

mosey101SILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
Hey

Brian from DIT juggling soc posted this up about the up and coming Dublin Juggling Convention.

Hello all.

Its aboot darn time I told ye all about the DJC.

Preliminary and post preliminary organising but pre final organising
tells us the following information:

March
9th
Fire show 20.00-23.00 Venue to be confirmed.

10th
10.00 - 17.00: Juggling and Workshops in Larkin Hall (same as last
year)
19.30 - 23.00: Super Renegade! in Holiday inn Conference room
23.00 - whenever you fall over asleep or drunk: some party somewhere

11th
10.00 - 17.00: juggling and workshops and games! in Larkin hall

Some venues are yet to be confirmed, which is why i was holding out
with the info. but hey like i said its about durn time!

We're printing loadsa tshirts and hoodies this year which should be
ready for the convention. so look forward to them too!

Brian

You my friend, i will defend and if we change, well i'll love you anyway

t04201901BRONZE Member
79 posts

Posted:
AWWW man i'm so excited about this, i never been to a juggling convention before, its gonna be wkd!!!!

Heya 3C, nice to meet you! you'll love here, its well good!

weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
hey t04201901 ^_^ thanks, i'm already loving it and i've only been her a little over a day!

the DJC sounds awesome! I'd love to see that fire show!
and those workshops sound like they'd be good fun too!
I wonder if i could drag some friends with me...

Speed of Dark: As yet unmeasured, but believed to be faster than light owing to its ability to move so quickly out of light's way. -- Terry Pratchett

[total number of times I've been hit in the head with poi: 10! <--- Double Digits!!!!]

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
That sounds BRILLIANT! I'll definitely be headin in.
On a slightly related note I'm moving to a nice new house tommorrow. So much better for putting people up.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Thats one mighty renegade slot!

t04201901BRONZE Member
79 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Wooktastic

That sounds BRILLIANT! I'll definitely be headin in.
On a slightly related note I'm moving to a nice new house tommorrow. So much better for putting people up.

Dude, might havta take u up on that, if thats cool of course! WKD!!!

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
*tries to imagine a load of poisters in the one house*

.....That'd make for some frickin' awesome pillow fights! biggrin

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
Kevlar pillow cases. I'm going to have to try that.

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
ubblol Just remember to put them out before you sleep on them!

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
And maybe wash them. Ever slept in a room that reeks of paraffin?

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
No, and I don't think I ever want to! ubblol There's enough chemical smells around my house when my dad dives into a bit of DIY!

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
It's very hard. I wish I knew how to remove parafin from the carpet. Other than the obvious lit match.

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
.....acetone? lol Acetone removes lots of things biggrin and if you don't use it in a ventilated area, you'll also be removed ubblol

All the stuff online seems to be about removing parafin from "Washable" fabric.... hmmm how big is this piece of carpet? and will it fit in your washing machine?

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
It's the size of my floor. Problem is I live on campus so I don't know if they'd be pleased. shrug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Alternatively, you get used to the smell biggrin

And when you're non-spinning friends say to you 'hey, you smell of parrafin'
ubblol

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
That happened on the train once. I was sitting in the corner between two carriages, reeking of parafin, wearing a rough old trenchcoat, mismatched gloves and mucky old boots, my bag hanging on the end of my staff and i had a cold so was sniffing a lot. People gave me coppers. It was the most hoboiest day of my life.

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
aw man, that would've been a brilliant sight! and you made a profit! go you!

You do know Parafin isn't meant to be kept indoors right?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

ubblol

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
I'll take that as a yes ^_^

I think that's the one downside to poi spining...I don't really want to smell flamable, nor would I feel safe around halloween!

POIcessionGOLD Member
stranger
20 posts

Posted:
Hello Dublin Spinners & jugglers.... weavesmiley juggle

I'll be flying into your neck of the woods on Monday morning from Los Angeles...and most likely spending a few days there. So is there a meeting spot to spin with others during the week? Any info provided would be appreciated!!!
Cheers & hugs, hug
Thomas

gyrospectdave1SILVER Member
119 posts

Posted:
good times for it are on munday in belvedere hall in town for the DIT juggling society, tuesday in trinity, wednesday in the bolton street hall for the second DIT juggling. and im not sure what else is on during the week. ill be at both the DIT meetings and i will most likely be spinning for a good while at them. itd be great to see you there.

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
There was a French Fire Juggler on Grafton street today, well....my bf said he was french...he recognised the accent...

....dunno why i'm saying this....just thought I'd let you know ubblol

Hope you enjoy your tine in Dublin Thomas!!!

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
do the Holiday Inn know what happened in tralee?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
what happened in tralee confused

761 posts

Posted:
well normally renegades are held in back rooms of pubs, or in a shed, or the corner of a juggling hall. this year in tralee the renegade was in a convention room hall, and rumour has it that the hall was completely trashed. i dunno i wasnt there, i was dancing with some circle faeries at the time smile

will you be going to the DJC 3C??

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
I wanna go to DJC ^_^ but I don't wanna go alone biggrin so i shall be draging a friend with me! mwahah! sadly tho, I won't be there all weekend frown Being an exam year, I have homeworks to do.

I better get a practicing my poi, I wanna at least be able to do reels before i go redface

What about you Doc? you gonna make an appearance?

761 posts

Posted:
come on, if you dont have anybody to go with, trust me, you wont be alone for long.

yeah you might see me there.

im in my final year in college now too. and i think i'll have a project due for the monday , lol. but im not missing this convention. its far too much fun.
EDITED_BY: doctor_fandango (1171899355)

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
I just hope I don't get lost, I'm not very good at navigating ^_^ (its why I don't do geography! biggrin)

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Uh,
nope as far as I remember the hall was fine afterwards, there wasn;t really much there to trash to begin with.

Page: ...