Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

bill171newbie
1 post

Posted:
Hey there,
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but would be delighted if anyone has any info..
Was at the fullmoon party in thailand on the 3rd of January 07 & was amazed by the people doing poi..
i'd really like to get into it and was wondering does anyone know anyone giving lessons in and around dublin city for non students?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yeep!

You just missed some of us!

We were on the next beach over... Had Yuan...

Ah well, sure we'll catch up with you soon...

smile

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
the clubs are open to non students bill. and you'll need to be keeping your ear to the ground for the upcoming Dublin Juggling Convention.

theres a list of Dublin's juggling societies at https://www.jugglingdb.com/clubs/
just click on ireland and there will be a list of all the clubs and societies in ireland.

(if anyone has any information regarding any of the clubs couls you please update / add info.
thanks a mill guys, see yiz around!.

Cam , what do you recon abt me popping over to your place on saturday around 2 ?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
wave

Hello again!

Just had confirmation - Eimhin is going to be our other staffing teacher!!

So,

Saturday February 24, somewhere in Belfast, Strugz and Eimhin will be teaching a masterclass in staff.

Strugz will be teaching moves, Eimhin will be teaching movement...

Places are limited, so please let me know as soon as possible.

Then, on Saturday March 3rd, also somewhere in Belfast, Mr Bluecat and Ronan will be teaching a masterclass in poi.

Again, places are limited, so please let me know as soon as you can if you're interested.

Thanks

Clare xx
EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1170333806)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Btw,

Happy Imbolc everyone!!

Am sending much light, love and positivity to you all

grouphug

xx

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
That reminds me. Anybody around Dublin come Rooms 1 and 2 at the student centre in UCD. The Pagansoc is having an imbolg party.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Here's the Dublin regular meets blurb that I put together a while back for the meet others page. Updates welcomed!

Where/when to spin in Dublin: (updated 05/12/06) NOTE: To attend any of the clubs listed here, you do not have to be a juggler, or a student!

Sundays from 1pm ish in St Stephens Green, beside the bandsand. (Mainly in summer wink

Tuesday evenings (in summer, from 6pm) Merrion Square.

DIT Juggling Club: Mon 17:00 - 19:00(in hall behind belvedere college) Wed - 19:00 - 21:00 (Bolton street)

Trinity Juggling Club (termtime) Tuesdays, 7 - 10pm Goldsmith Hall, Pearse St

NCAD Wednesday 16:30 - 18:00 (presumed on Thomas St, but I've never been)

UCD Thursday 18:00 - 21:30 (memorial hall, Richview, down beside the architecture buildings, Clonskeagh)

IADT Tuesdays from 6-8pm, IADT, Dun Laoghaire

Dublin Juggling Convention (Highly recommended) annually for a weekend in March.

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

Tir_na_nOgjourneyman
55 posts

Posted:
Any space on the floor Clare, Lisa for this spinnyness weekend in march!!??? rolleyes ubbidea

It sounds like the ideal way to spend a weekend (apart from with my lovely girlfriend who is getting a bit pished at my ideal weekend not being with her!! redface )

Havent been up your way since last convention so I'll defo be comin up!!! Yaay another Irish spinning convention (Sort of)

Keep us posted!!
Rob (Dublin)
bounce2 bounce2 bounce bounce bounce2 bounce2

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Yep, no problems... I'm sure we'll get something sorted...

Are you coming up for the March poi class? Or staff? Or both?

Any one else wanting to come spend a staffy weekend with Strugz, Eimhin, Lisa and I? Or a poi'er weekend with Bluecat, Ronan, Lisa and me?! smile

Think of it like a mini Belfast convention, without the jugglers biggrin

Tir_na_nOgjourneyman
55 posts

Posted:
If I get free time I'd love to head up for both but, college dependant it'll probably be just the poi one!! But ya never know!

Mr Bluecat is a difficult man to be in the same country as so I suppose even inside this tiny island ill still have to travel cross border to have a spin with him!!! eek ubbrollsmile

Think Ill try and kidnap Ronan soon too... just hope he doesnt read this... Gonna learn hybrid chopsticks next!!!

Chat ya over the next few weeks everybody!!! Thank feck its nearly SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!

Rob

761 posts

Posted:
any news or rumours on this years dublin convention going around yet?

does anyone even know who's organising it?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Hmm,
yeah it all seems a bit quiet on that front.........I Know!!

All in favour of DOCTOR FANDANGO organising his years Dublin Convention PM him straight away!

If enough people do it he might explode in to a frenzy of organisation and get it all done in time YAAYYY!! biggrin
M

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Alternatively, you'se could come up to Belfast tongue

t04201901BRONZE Member
79 posts

Posted:
Nah, Dubland definately!

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
biggrin or do both? biggrin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
That'll do smile

gyrospectdave1SILVER Member
119 posts

Posted:
as far as i know, acording to brian from DIT, it is on from the 10th to the 12th of march, i cant remember the name of the hall, but am asuming it is one of the DIT ones, and there is talk of getting the ambasador for the public show.

119 posts

Posted:
just out of curiosity, has anybody got any tips on how to kep hyperloops goin from forward to backward without breaking the wrap? i have both directions solid, i just have to learn how to keep them connected while i turn...if its possible. any help is welcome....

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ronan will know smile

Am sure he'll be around soon....

Tir_na_nOgjourneyman
55 posts

Posted:
Push into your h'loop say from right to left going forward then pull the knot back across to the right side of your body and turn 180 instead of letting out on the left as normal..

Its tough to do and the timing has to be really good!

ubbloco Good luck!!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Nice one Rob... see you in March smile

761 posts

Posted:
Rob, thats exactly what i was going to say... ...
Cameron. call me someday
Martin, thanks for offering to help me with the DJC, im a bit swamped with work and college at the moment so if you could look after the organisation end of things. thanks
see you round, hows your health? can you drink?

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
Aye, the occasional bevy doesn't cause me distress any more.
Heyho, there goes the healthy lifestyle!
And I'll deffo be having a few this weekend as I'm off to Londinium with my loverly lady to a big 30th bash biggrin

Seriously tho, if anyone needs some help organising for the DJC I'll throw some hours in to the pot.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
About the Dublin Juggling Convention:

It's on from March 9th - 11th, and is being organised by Brian of DIT juggling and giraffe unicycling fame. I spoke to him about it earlier. Details are still being ironed out - the hall is booked - Larkin College, as in previous years. Meeting House Square is being investigated for the fireshow, and he's looked at several renegade venues. There will be no public show, and the Ambassador is definately not involved. It's a good old fashioned jugglers and spinners (and tequilla) centred event. Special guests may well be involved, but i don't know who yet wink

If anyone wants to help out, Brian's the man to contact!

In other news, I'm hoping to see you all soon and have a spin and some fun, instead of just randomly appearing here from time to time spouting information hug

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

splintynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
ohh i shall be there smile ill give brian a tinkle in a few days and see what he says smile

"If you roll a pencil is it still stationary?"

761 posts

Posted:
hehehehehe tinkle, lol

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
spout!,
fnar, fnar, fnar... tongue

761 posts

Posted:
he he he... 'spout' thats funny, heh heh heh

i dont get it confused

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

119 posts

Posted:
cheers for the help back there rob, i shall try that once i get a moment, it makes perfect sense when somebody points it out, but i just couldnt think it out myself. i hope to see you all at the dublin convention, hopefully many the people will be at the fire show and the saturday juggle. i wont be there for sunday which is anoying, but i shall enjoy the rest of it until then.

Page: ......