Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. ÂŁ3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
I can do Tara on the 18th / 19th but have to be in Dublin on Paddy's day so I can't do Cork.

Remember what the doormouse said

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
yeah cork and tara gets my vote too. lets do it hardcore

Grow old but never grow up

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
its very importartant that no matter what happens that no one gets excluded from the col vid. we should make sure to get some footage before firepoise leaves....

its easy for me to do cork and tara smile

so there you go, you all have an open invitation from both me (to cork) and johnny (to tara)

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
and you lot call yourselves addicted to HoP umm

tsk.... rolleyes

have a look over in the vid forum

col 6 is no more frown

feck it though, we can still make a vid anyway, it'll be a lovely keepsake for when we're old and grey and telling our grandkids of our firey escapades when we were just young 'uns..... biggrin

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
its not a compitition anymore but there is still gonna be a dvd.....

and we should so be in it

ubbrollsmile

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hmmm.... read yesterday that it was cancelled, didn't notice that it was back on today

and i call myself addicted to HoP.... rolleyes

wink

aidan, why don't you suss out whether or not there's any chance of us taking part in the cork paddy's day parade. that'd be a great laugh.....

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
excellent plan.

i'll talk to the cork circus boys and girls too....

bounce2

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Just sent this in

Dear Sir/Madam

My name is Aidan Phelan and im writing to you on behalf of an organised group of street performers and dancers. We would very much like to take part in the festival this year.

We perform with fire using Fire Staffs and Fire Poi. Also in our group are jugglers, stilt walkers and drummers and more from all over the world. Some of us are also activly involved in the Cork Community Circus and the Belfast Circus School whom you may be already familiar with.

At the moment im seeking information that will help us get organised in time for the 17th should all go well. If you'd like to hear more from us I would be happy to send you on more information about our group. Numbers, References (the limerick leader recently featured us in a full page spread for fund raising work), Saftey Statments etc.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Aidan
086 1511 446

I left them a voice message too.

https://www.corkstpatricksfestival.ie/index.html

https://www.corkcorp.ie/news/latest/stpatricks_festival.shtml

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Whooooooo!!!!!

So the response is this.

Not much room in the two day carvival for new acts (we dont really have an act so its ok)

Would you be interested in doing the Parade?

Yea? Cool, get back to me with some figures and what you guys can do and we'll talk some more.

So how much do we want? Whos coming? and what can we do?

group emails coming soon.

bounce bounce bounce

biggrin

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
how much do we want? nice one!

talk to johnny, do you have his number? give him a shout and see what he thinks....

balls, i'll have to make costumes.... so much to do, so little time....

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
cool

colm from the cork community circus is calling over tonight. they are already involved so he'll have some info too. the belfast circus are coming too.

yay!!!

can we do this and tara? getting paid for performing in the biggest street festival of the year sounds pretty sweet.

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
bounce

yeh we can do both. could come down in the eve on the 16th, travel back up on the 18th and head out to Tara on the 19th. we'll smell really bad by sunday the 20th but what the heck.... ubblol

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
can you talk to the dublin heads and let me know who is definatly interested?

anyone who wants to come down just to party is welcome too...

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i'll send a mail tomorrow. and ask the rest at juggling on monday juggle

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
colm from the circus is in too. mmm more sticks.... smile

and he made me a nice practise stick too smile hes holding onto it for now though coz im still non functional in the contact staffage dept.

Love is the law.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
What are you thinking of doing? walk along the street spinning or doing a show? sounds good though.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
we'll be in the parade so yep its walking. makes it a whole lot easier because we dont really need to get a set act down. Some nice routines would be nice though.

get your thinkin caps on kids smile

Love is the law.

zarkiaBRONZE Member
98 posts

Posted:
wow, you don't do things small do you, ado-p (hah, now we all know what the p stands for!! anyway). ohh the parade - wouldn't that be scary!!?? smile
i will more than likely chicken out.

zarkiaBRONZE Member
98 posts

Posted:
well actually - i'd chicken out if it was fire spinning - however i would feel confident enough to go down patrick st with my cloth poi.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
alo alo...

smile

so far were up too eight peeps in the lineup. five staff spinning folks and three drummers. smile

not sure if we're going to have any poi in there zarki. we do need an official photographer to hang around us and make us look important smile you wanna come along anyway? are you going to tara?

been thinkin about staffs.

Two pairs of doubles with red flags

Three singles with red flags

I've got a sweet staff design. smile

Lisa, would you prefer three or four foot sticks? We'll only be doing simple things like fig8's and same direction, i was thinking four foots might look better. i know your a short arse though so let me know what you think so i can make my ones match. smile

been thinking about costumes

i reckon it would look cool if all the guys were in black trousers and white shirts with a red belt thing (same material as flags). a black waist coat thing (home made) too with maybe something stitched into the back of it.

lisa, you wanna be in black and white too or you wanna be all in white like a fairy dancing around the rest of us? i've got some ideas.

everyone up for a rehearsal next weekend?

Love is the law.

zarkiaBRONZE Member
98 posts

Posted:
yea, thats no problem. i doubt i'll be going to tara - i'm totally tied up with college stuff.
as for official photographer.... hmmm standing around on a mid march afternoon sounds a little cold to me!! smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
flag staff idea

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2845

EDITED_BY: ado-p (1109594914)

Love is the law.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
You are camping at Tara..... eek

Lisa hold on tight to whoever you are walking with and watch where the Hill wants you to go wink

Excitement plus!!!!! bounce bounce2

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
werent you there?

smile

we'll be thinkin of ya

hug

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
yep, myself & Gnor had a lovely spin at Tara during her trip to our fair shores. how you doing babe? hug

this time we're camping, and bringing drums biggrin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Can someone let me know what the updated plans are so I can send round an email?

Getting to the other side smile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

Lisa, would you prefer three or four foot sticks? We'll only be doing simple things like fig8's and same direction, i was thinking four foots might look better. i know your a short arse though so let me know what you think so i can make my ones match. smile

dunno, i'm sure i can manage 4 footers, no? that's just a little longer than my practise sticks.

Written by: ado-p

lisa, you wanna be in black and white too or you wanna be all in white like a fairy dancing around the rest of us? i've got some ideas.

ubblol

*slaps ado-p*

no a i do NOT want to be "like a fairy dancing around the rest of you" thank you very much. i may be many things but fairy i am not. ubbidea pixie or elf might do though......

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
biggrin

elf sounds good.

can we put pointy ears on you?

Love is the law.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
look what pointy ears did for Liv tyler and I see a resemblance between her and faberge.go with the pointy ears!! hug

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
yeah but if we make lisa any hotter than she already is we'll have to use our sticks to beat the crowd back...

Love is the law.

Page: ......