Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. ÂŁ3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
shrug

Love is the law.

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
Still not working....

any way I have to knock off now I have 3 hours of maths tutoring ahead of me, can't complain though I can charge ridiculous amounts of money this close to the exams so that'll be going straight intot he car kitty then..

Speak to you tomorrow hug

amelimelienewbie
16 posts

Posted:
hello everybody
its so funny to get to a web site and to a conversation where I know everybody !!
hope, you're all alright, so am I, will be very happy to see you this week end
grouphug
have a good barbecue party tomorrow,
fyrebyrd, i'll bring ur poi saturday, thats all u forgot this time !!
kis

they're laughing at you but, look ! they're laughing !

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
I was wondering where they'd gone to!!!!

Ta darlin wink

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
So hope ye all gonna make it down to Timoleague direction, It's very close to Clonakilty, which isn't so far to cork, which happens to be just down the road from Galway and Dublin, and you know Belfast isn't that far either....and while we're at it flights are so cheap these days that everyone from HOP is invited! smile
Just talking to mr Ado this eve about it and sounds like it'll be a great laugh of a weekend.
There's talk of practicing various workshops on everyone too, to get ready for Galway juggle convention and whereever else people will be doing workshops over the next while.
check out the official cork weekend thread for more details
Nice one see ye all there
ronan
ronan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Not sure about workshops as such... but it'll be great to meet you and have a bit of a play Ronan biggrin

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
bounce2

mr potomas you are the bomb.

i'd like to try out some workshops myself. basic staff stuff, planes, turning, feets etc. if anyone is interested in taking part, or even providing some feed back and and critisism.... i would be one wiggly smiley ado-p smile

Love is the law.

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
dito Ronopotamus, it would be great to meet all you lot! Ado's been very selfish and keeping us to himself, only joking.... it would be great to meet the rest of the clan.

I've been in negotiations with Colleen and even if we are both working on Saturday we might still just pile into the car on Saturday night and drive down. God only knows what time we'd get there for but i'm sure It'd be worth every god forsaken hour on the back roads smile

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
Hey amelimelie ! Ronan's heading down ? iM going to irritate the Sh1t outta that poor fella like a cheap laxitive; getting him to teach me some throwing moves with poi. So steady yourself with a staunch drink because im a Slow learner tongue

Ado, since my learning curve and intoxication curve will hopefully match eachother i may be feeling brave enough to try learning some basic staff, its about time i bite that bullet. So yes i would definetley be interested!

As for you northern folk! You Better get your asses down south or ... or...... or.......i'll make an empty yet Macho threat which i have no means of ever possibly carrying out but will just make me look cool umm umm

HAHAHa....Im gonna go calm down now.

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
Hey Cameron, we're doin our best.. but you know you should be trying to entice us down wtih sweet words not empty macho threats (which by the way don't suit your more feminine sensibilities)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol,

Cameron, will be good to see you again darlin... and I'm really looking forward to meeting you Ronan and Eimhin.

I should clarify... when I said I'm not sure about 'workshops'... I'm not... I'm much more for the informal 'standing around in a field asking to be taught stuff' than for anyone to feel under pressure to teach.

Let's keep it friendly and informal peoples biggrin
More 'Falmouth' than 'Uber'

ubblol

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Well actually Cameron its you that's heading down, since I'm gonna be at home, waiting for ye to arrive! ubbrollsmile Welcome to Ronanland! (ie the event in question is happening at my house biggrin)
Hey firepoise, definately going to be informal to the max, like. Not going to be serious workshops of the "everyone shut up and listen" variety....
I expect lots of heckling for the chinese eggs workshop!
Can't wait to see all of ye I've already met, and meet all of ye I've never seen!
Ronan
bounce2 bounce bounce2

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i could bring russian, bulgarian, romanian, czech, croatian, bosnian, dutch, german, italian, english, irish, american, spanish, french, portugese, south african, egyptian, tunisian, moroccan & israeli eggs

can't eat any of them but they look reeeeeeal pretty ubbangel

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
Okay I've just had the phone call... I've been booked for a gig on Saturday and I can't turn the money down. I should be finished in time to still head down for Saturday night but I don't know when we'll get there.

Ronan I didn't know we were staying near your house.. thanks in advance, and dito on the workshop point. I reckon there's no point in us giving ourselves head aches, we all know what we want to work on and if any of us see someone doin something nice we're all big enough and ugly enough to just go ask.....

Looking forward to meeting you all

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

You drive safely lady... it's very late at night to be going down those country roads.

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
You really do care ubblol

Ta babe we'll look after ourselves. If you're car's still not on the road you'll be there in person to make sure Colleen does try to climb out the passenger window again. I'll be borrowing mum's car since the insurance company still haven't settled for the mushroom, so you're more than welcome to hitch a lift, in fact I'd be offended if you didn't turn up on the doorstep wtih your bags packed demanding one. ubbloco

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
That'll be grand, thanks missus.

The retest is on Thursday at 3.30pm... I'll let you know biggrin

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
Grand so..

God roll on the weekend I'm dying to let my hair down (although not when I spinning obviously - I rather like my hair and don't fancy the whole skin head look)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

I know the feeling. Some day I'll not hit myself on the head with flaming poi and will actually be able to grow all those unpleasant straggly bits.

Alternatively, I could wear a hat....

Hmmm.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Btw, I saw circusy types on stilts at the opening of Custom Square on the news today.

Saw young Grant doing something funky with a diabolo... he's rather good at it smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: firebyrd

Grand so..

God roll on the weekend I'm dying to let my hair down (although not when I spinning obviously - I rather like my hair and don't fancy the whole skin head look)

umm

nuthin wrong with skinheads

Love is the law.

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
Oi colleen check your PMs

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
La de da house is cleaner now than it was before we had the party Hmmmmm. Looking forward to this weekend going to be shattered thou so someone may just have to let me sit on there shoulders so i dont have to use my legs angel2

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
If I'm spending all day on stilts young lady you are not going to sit on my bloody shoulders!!! Wizzy would let you though as long as your facing him.. that's all I heard for 3 days last week.. he is a dirt bird, but we love him any way

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Hahahahahahahahaha I love the whizz bizz. Do you know what your costume is yet? did you get a letter>

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
nope.. i'll pick up the stilits tomorrow forom Streetwise I didn't make it to the clowning workshop today... for reasons you are already well versed in...............I HATE WRITING ESSAYS

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug phew im all hugged out. Have a bug spliff and double gin as soon as youve finished it - you deserve it

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello lady,

Did you get the essay finished?! Fair play to you... and the best of luck...

But just think... in a few short hours the academic year will just be an unpleasant memory biggrin

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
[censored] I forgot about the workshop....I really wanted to do it ooooops are you for circus tonight???

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
Hey - yes firepoise I did finish the feckin essay, it is quite possibley teh biggest pile of crude i've ever handed in in my life but I don't care I'm on my holidays!!!!

I was thinking.....(uh-oh --RUN FOR COVER) Coll why don't we stop off somewhere on the way back up to Belfast on Sunday and stay the night, we would finish the drive on Monday and it means we wouldn't be doing the whole round trip in 24 hours, which admittedly is a little bit silly since we'd be driving for 12.... what d'ya reckon? - Claire, fancy it, may be fun......?

Page: ......