Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. ÂŁ3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
could be please have a little show of hands for the clonakilty juggling convention...um, it makes the organisatorical buzz so much nicer when the enthusiasm is there... wave...hi guys, whos coming? umm

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
wave

beerchug

hug

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ermmm... I don't think I'll be there, I'm afraid frown

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
wave

and Lee's coming wave
and Cat (i think) wave
and Dap wave

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

The Pixienewbie
20 posts

Posted:
Hey there all u crazy fire peeps smile

Let me know when ur havin ur next meetin and where it is since it probably wont be in trinity. I will surly make that next one. I wouldnt mind meetin yiz all and then seein what the craic is for clonakilty. So far its a wave from me and wave from me mate Pee but it depends on cash.

I have a favour to ask yiz too. I work as a model for Peter Mark and theres a fashion show comin up in November in Vicar Street that I'll be in. There'll be different acts on with drama and dance. There may be an interest in gettin a few fire spinners so if any of yiz have a couple of routines and wud be interested in showin off in Vicar street let me know. I asked the co-ordinator if she'd be interested and she more than likely wud be. Im not fired up yet or by no means able to perform any kind a poi poi dancin but I thought yiz might be interested. It'd be a great night like.

Anyways let me know weavesmiley

FEEEEEBS MAIL

Away with the fairies....

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hey Pixie

I'd love to play fire at another fashion show!!!

Hope to see you in clonakilty....

Are we all camping at ronans? Even if they planned somewhere else wink

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey Pixie...

We are all meeting up (I think and hope) at Tara on the weekend of Saturday 24 September (in two weeks time) for Lisa (Faberge)'s leaving party.

Lisa has been completely marvellous in bringing the Irish spinning community together, and she'll be much missed when she goes travelling at the end of September. ubbcrying

Bring your spinning buddies along - it'll be a great opportunity to meet everyone and start spinning fire with experienced poiples to look out for you.

(Also, bring jumpers and blankets, food, tents etc... cos it might get a bit cold out there!!)

Take care, hope to see you soon
Clare xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
oh, almost forgot

suggestion for tara...

The place where the folks had their Tipee set up at the solstice was alot more sheltered from the wind, rain etc than our usual spot. Lots of trees handily positioned to put tents under etc.

we even found a place 'in' the trees that is like a mini camp in itself. though im not sure if the faeries are sharing that spot.

smile

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Im going clot or no clot (firepoise dont worry im bringing my medication and lots of jumpers and coats and blankets and sleeping bags Oh yeah and my tent of course) weavesmiley

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yay!!

bounce2

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Me... worry?!!! Lol, maybe just a bit.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hi-hi pixie,
I would love to do a diabolo routine there if there is interest... ubbrollsmile

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
Written by: tainted

Oh yeah and my tent of course) weavesmiley

you brought a tent last time too honey, this time try bringing poles & groundsheet too :P
pixie, theres a posibility of glow spinners doing a little show inside too, if there will be any music it could look cool.

who's up for a fire spin on grafton street saturday night if its not raining?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I am!!!

but since i have no staffs and i wont be in dublin, i am in a sense, not.

i'd like to though, so i'll be there in spirit.

smile

Love is the law.

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
i could be tempted towards a spin on Grafton St on Sat...

Helen_of_Poi

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
well hello there oddballs, wierdos and all form of freaks i call my dear friends, you all know who you are grouphug

burning man was f*cking amazing (or AWESOME in american!) it's gotta be the best kick ass party on the face of the planet! you all HAVE TO go next year!

been back since wednesday but i've spent most of my time in bed catching up on some well deserved rest ubbrollsmile

i also have some terrible news (well it might be bad for some, good for others) but some crazy shite has been happening and it's all a big mess.... frown but won't get into that just now.

really looking forward to seeing you all at tara

colleen, i'll be in portstewart this weekend biggrin send me your number if you're about and we can meet up for wee while. hope you're feeling better and on the mend

clare babe, hope all is well hug will try ringing you over the weekend. perhaps we could meet for a bit when i'm on my way back from portstewart, as i'll more than likely be (rather reluctantly given the present climate frown) passing through belfast.

and the rest of you lot get loads and loads of these hug and these kiss and these hug2

soon....

L xx peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey lady,

Glad you had a splendid time... looking forward to hearing about it. smile

And I'm even more glad that you're missioning up to Portstewart biggrin Hope you have fun. hug

What's the bad thing that happened, are you ok? I'll be in touch later.

Not doing the best myself, all things considered, but we'll chat later.

Take care and see you soon xxx

The Pixienewbie
20 posts

Posted:
Excellent stuff people, Im workin on gettin me cronies to Tara. Sounds like fun! Cant wait to meet yiz!!

Here's the news... The Fashion Show in Vicar St. has not yet been confirmed and Im not in any way running it so I have to forward these ideas to a friend who is. Great response by the way, I will let u all know really soon when its confirmed. I will also chance me arm at gettin yiz a decent fee for givin up yer time etc., as Im lookin at it as work for ye. So if ur not interested in doing it volunteer thats perfectly understandable just let me know. Ive taken note of whose interested, please forward me ur numbers and i'll get other details off ya when I meet ye so I can put u on file for other events! (Aiden send me ur No. again I accidently deleted the PM!)

Here's the other news. Im studyin Music/Event Management and a lot of my work involves live events like mini festivals, trad sessions, dance and rock events everything really. There will be the odd event comin up where all yee may either be interested in buyin tickets to or what I hope,is to get u spinnin for the event. In some cases it may be volunteer but hopefully I'll have sponsership and there will be payment. If theres no payment you'll obviously get in free of charge and I may look after yiz in some way or another...like, I have this giant fleece blanket...yil love it ubblol

So, cheers for the responses, PM me with details anyone else whos interested.

Over n out xxx bounce

FEEEEEBS MAIL

Away with the fairies....

ggMember
5 posts

Posted:
Oh tara sounds fabulous,Aw, what a laugh. Wish I could go. So JEALOUS. Do ye organise these type of stuff often

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
hey gg,

yup, whenever we can make up an excuse for a twirl smile

where abouts you located in cork? the cork community circus is on every tuesday if your not already up there its worth a visit. its on the lock community hall at the top of barracks street.

happy twirling

a

Love is the law.

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Spiderbaby

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
So who exactly is going to Tara?

Lisa, Ronan, Eimhim, Aidan, Amelie, Colleen, Helen, me...?

I know it's a bit late notice... but there's a huge party happening up here - if anyone remembers Matt from Belfast?

He's throwing a party out at his farm... great music, sound system, lovely people, camping space etc.

Lisa, would you be up for relocating the party? Might be fun... especially if it's this rainy at the weekend.

Barry... I know you won't be on here for a while... but you're in my thoughts hug2

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
Don't forget me!

Remember what the doormouse said

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

And Darrell biggrin

wave haven't seen you in a while... hope you're well

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Party in Belfast sounds great. Its a bit far and a bit to costly for cest moi though.

edit/

oh yeah... colm from cork is up for tara also (and stefan and kia i think), said he'd bring up his big barbacue if there is a bit of interest in people bringing cookable foodstuffs. t'would be uber handy as we could light a big fire on it when we finish with the munchies!!!

edit/

Hope to see all you guys soon, if not at tara then at one of the upcoming conventions!!!

smile

Love is the law.

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
I think we definitely need a fire - the cold is our enemy and must be defeated.

I'm keeping well Claire, work's been a bit nuts lately so I haven't had time for much spinning - I've only touched my poi once or twice in the last couple of months.

Although I have picked up a little bit of Djembe (courtesy of Jake) and I boughty a set of clubs which I have yet to master despite a good bit of practise.

All the best and see you all Sat wave wave

Remember what the doormouse said

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Sorry Clare, and everyone else, but i won't be at Tara - or Belfast either for that matter. frown

I'm going to Bristol on Friday for the tail end of the juggling convention. Hope to see you all in Clonakilty the following weekend though juggle weavesmiley juggle

hug

Helen_of_Poi

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
So whats the story with the weekend then? Whos a comin? Whos a goin?

Been trying to ring fabby but no joy....

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lisa is on her way back home to dublin after staying here last night... she'll be calling you all tonight smile

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Eimhin wants me to say that we don't know what we're doing....
Actually
Eimhin would like a lift from cork if there's one going,
but I'm not gonna be able to make it up frown, last weekend with my girlfriend before she becomes a celebrity....
*eimhin here requests a comunal aWWWwWWWWw to that last remark...o.k well, only if you want to...*
Oi lisa you gonna make it to clonakilty convention? If not here's a hugeamongus hug from me hug

hope to see as many of ye as possible in clon!
ubbrollsmile

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

Page: ......