Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know a firespinner called Liz (i think ) or is anyone here Liz. We met for just a second in visuals in dublin on wednesday. If your reading this im that long hair'd kid.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
There's a Lisa?!

Faberge?!

But she's gone to France on a Tai Chi retreat this week

(god, that sounds so cool cool)

Spiderbaby... all the Dublin spinners are meeting up today for a practice and then busking tonight - try to meet up with them!

ubblol

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
well.. according to the books theres a meeting in steophens green evry sunday, but it rarely hapens like that. spiderbaby, if your looking to find a juggler/spinner in dublin, your best bet is to head down to the pav in trinity on tuesday evening , anytime after 8:00

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

grrracenewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the friendly welcome guys!
Helen_of_poi, that was exactly what someone told me, but I couldn't for the life of me remember the site name, or where people met up! So thanks very much for that, might have a little look tonight.

See you all round hehe smile

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Thanks for than but im only 15 so i cant go to dublin in the evenings to meet mystery people frown Ah well sooner or later il run into one of you. I cant go to stephens green on sundays but when im in dublin i always walk through stephens green to check for poi spinners.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Hellos then!

And for what it's worth, you can assure your mum/dad/parents that we're not weirdo's or freaks or serial killers (at least, not normally tongue ) and we'll look after you if you should ever want to come along to gatherings.

Young Nate (English spinner) is just 16 and he travels all over the place meeting up with spinner types... rolleyes

Anyways, we'll get something organised soon that you can come to.

Take care
hug

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
She is speaking for herself there. im both weirdo and a freak and dam proud of it!! ubblol
We will sort something out for you to come though if we have to go down there and do an interview with your parents to get you to come.

Wish I had found spinning when i was 15 i might actually be good at this stage.

Take it easy

Grow old but never grow up

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"i might actually be good at this stage"

umm ubblol

Yeah darlin, cos you're crap, eh?!!!!

Puh. Declan, you are fantastic and I'm sure young spider will learn lots from you.

rolleyes

hug

PS: Lisa... if you're managing to check this at any stage (though I'm sure you've much better things to do biggrin ) Hope you're having a great time meditate

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Im afraid there is very little spiderbaby can learn from me until he gives in to the power of spinning and comes over to the dark side of the staff.

Lets direct spiderbaby to good spinners in Ireland though. you have to meet flip, ronapotomas(cant spell), faberege,ado-p and firepoise. These guys thought me all i know and that aint much but you will learn alot from them to.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Puh. rolleyes

He's a poi'er!!!!

Muhahahahhahahahahahhahacough.

Shimmy, shimmy... christ, there's not many of us left.... biggrin

Spider... you NEED to meet Ronanpotamus... ubbangel

Dec, you heading to Offaly this weekend?
x

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
I am going down for part of it anyway.not sure if i will camp though. Are you coming to dublin first?

Baby you really have to meet ronan but staff is the way forward. others have realised it thats why there isnt many left.

761 posts

Posted:
clare, poi and staff are both fantastic arts, lets not fight about which is better or cooler. grouphug

Declan, you said that theres no link to birr from dublin.. the 20 from dublin to athone then the 71 from athlone to birr, its €21 for a weekend return ticket.

Spiderbaby, ronan is great at poi and he will teach you loads, but poi is realy hard to learn, thats why satff is much better than poi (sticking my tongue out at clare) , emhin will show you the great moves with staff.

see you all at the flippy floppy fanta whirlie thingy in offaly!!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Muh?!!

I'm not fighting... it's just part of the ongoing friendly rivallry that exists between poi and staffers. rolleyes

biggrin biggrin biggrin

Ok, now, about this weekend. I can't decide what to do...

Firstly, are there still tickets available? Ronan expressed some concern earlier in the week.

Secondly, are you all going down on the Friday or Saturday and if so, where will we be camping?

Thirdly, does anyone have space in their tent (unless Colleen has actually bought a tent - which she may have done, but I can't remember).

Ermm. That's it smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi guys,
um, I'm a little surprised to find this thread only now...dammit , and I thought i was an adventurer.
Well to ease all worries I can assure you that the ticket problem was a touch ambitous as i have mentioned across the way on the Fantasmagoria thread, and there will be lots of space for tents and we can always borrow from the lovely locals if needs be(i used to be in the scouts you know wink ) The camping will be in the back yard of my house, and the front, and the bottom, in the attic and so on...where theres a little outside loo (in the shed) and a barbyQ for the hungry types. You are all welcom on whichever day you like friday or saturday, um, so far Ewan and Veronique and a couple of friends whom you'll all meet o'er the weekend are arriving on the Friday...Most of this info including buses and stuff is on the fff thread, so check it out.
oh me oh my you guys i'm a little flu- zapped so i'll be off now to hang out the bottom end of a cup of beechams redface
Can't wait for meety greeties friday and saturday! ciaou for now e...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
See you soon darlin...

Take care and look after yourself... you've probably gotten sick from all this running about! eek

Clare x

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the info.
I apologise in advance for this Fear-Tine and other staff spinners BUT ...... I started with the staff but i quickly switched to poi. Poi is just so much more enjoyable and its not too hard to learn. Its so cool because you can spin almost anything weavesmiley , shoes , shopping bags , small animals on leads, everything can be spun. ubbloco
So i must take the side of the poi spinners here. Go Poi!!!!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Muhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahha ubblol

And in fact more muahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahhahahahahahhahah.

ubblol ubblol ubblol

Tee hee.

tee hee hee.

Sigh.

biggrin

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
No need to apologise and I remember a conversation at tara about kitten poi with actual kittens. suppose it would be kinda like a pet rollercoaster.

As long as your happy spinning it doesnt matter what you spin.im sure at some stage you will end up spin staff, doubles doing contact and many other things that havent been invented yet.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Hahahahahaha Dr.f you called it flipy floppey HA told you it sounded better. Thanks for babysitting me this weekend see you fri (I will be armed with placebo copies for your other half) hug hug

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fear-Tine

She is speaking for herself there. im both weirdo and a freak and dam proud of it!! ubblol
We will sort something out for you to come though if we have to go down there and do an interview with your parents to get you to come.

Wish I had found spinning when i was 15 i might actually be good at this stage.

Take it easy

Pfffft don't let Dec meet your parents! They will want to adopt him and then you will get thrown out onto the streets to live in the gutter with all the pigeons...... then again you could then become the king of the pigeons and make it illegal for them to fly at me....... yeah I changed my mind invite Dec to meet your parents biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

761 posts

Posted:
Written by: tainted

(I will be armed with placebo copies for your other half)

and a few bottles of cheep buckie?

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Skully your so sweet but I was thinking about a group turning up at his and going to play in the back yard with loads of toys and tents. After that they should be fine with us. ubblol

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Well that goes without saying.....4 enough?????? beerchug (people are going to think im an alco..........Oh well pass the buckie)

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
meditate

biggrin

tongue

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
hey guys, sounds like you're all having fun over there. Boston's cool but I'm misssing having spinners around. I'll check in next week and let you know if I've found any one to play with.

ping

zlimmember
34 posts

Posted:
ubblocoelo! der yo u all !im liz from dublin just started poi and im loving it !was tolled derd be some dubliners here !so Elo! hug

come out come out and play!its nite time now!!!its time to play!

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
hey zlim, there are loads of spinners that pop up here and there on this site and as im in no doubt you'll here we play in trinity on tuesdays and getogether in st.stephens green on sunday.

Welcome to hop hug

zlimmember
34 posts

Posted:
sunnykewlo!didnt know that my self but now i do so wahey!
were's ur self from?i live in the good old district of swords?!!!!im only staring fir poi at da mow so im a bit shy to be do it in front o other pps redface

come out come out and play!its nite time now!!!its time to play!

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
Dont be shy !!! Just be Careful as balck eyes and concussions are regular Medals we wear proudly : )

Come to trintiy tonight : ) (we sound like the biggest bunch of nut cases Coaxing fresh young talent from the suburbs into the Grimy city centre spinning cage that is trinity or ST stevens green)

Any whoo , come one come all at 7:30 is tonight : )

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Trinity you say.

smile

I do believe we'll see you tonight good sir, while in the company of the very lovely helen of poi.

biggrin

Love is the law.

Page: ......