Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Cool, is it digital? Tripod?

Much fun. Yay!!

Love is the law.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i've no idea....

it's silver and it's got a sticky out screen thingy at the side so you don't have to look through a lense thingymajig. and it's my folks. that's all i know. and that i'm not to break or lose it. and that you hold down the red button to record. not sure about a tripod, what's a tripod? ubbloco tongue

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
F*ckin Hippy ubblol Just make sure you bring all the cables and stuff for it so i can copy the footage beore you leave.... purty pleeaaseee smile
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1095755600)

Love is the law.

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
hello there my fine feathered friends!!!!! wavehello

okey, some advise, i had a camcorder (til it was nicked...) and batteries can run low very fast using the lcd screen. if possible bring the AC adaptor yoke. ie a plug... n u can run it off sarah and aidans leccy bill....hehe

i have a tripod. it is a bit fecked but can be fixded with huge amounts of tape. yes i will be down ado, have saturday off too. so will be down earlyish...depending on how fri nite goes! i am meeting this young man again! any cheap n cheerful gigs on in dublin this fri?? if y'all hear of anything lovely, do let me know. we s'posed to be catchin some choons

but enuff bout me, well done all on yer performances. and welcome steph, look forward to meetin ya !!! hug2

https://www.ireland.ie

that website has horse loads of accomadation info and links.

so eh, who is heading down? lisa, clare, meself, steph, toni, kelly.....am i leaving out anyone really blatant? hhmm who else is going?

i have b bad n not going to trinners at all coz its hella cold. u been down there lisa?

Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
whoooeeey its so blustery to spin fire. the bleedin noise outta them. my god!!

okay, where was i! em, yes, lettuce know whats the starey with sat

adios m'dears...

grouphug

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hello Laura wave

I think you have the numbers right, though this doesnt include the other people we invited. i.e. Everyone we know.

So people we have the choice, we can all head to a bar for a drink on sat eve, have a chat and a burn on the town and then head out to our place for a full on party!!! My vote is for a drink first then head to the house for arund 9 or 10

Or we can all just go to our place for a full on party!!! Fire included of course.

So the logistics

BYOB (beer)

BYOSB (sleeping bag)

BYOFT (firetoys)

BYOD (****)

smile smile

As i said before, all are welcome to crash until the food runs out....

smile smile

Now, almost everyone is ariving in daylight on saturday so bring your day toys people, we might as well ahev a bit of spinney fun in the park while we're at it.

Laura, i have a tripod, its a really good on but im scared of it because the wind blew it over and smashed my brand new 400 Euro camera. So bring yours anyway if its not to heavy. We could use too. One for photo one for video....

Did i miss anything?

Looking forward to seeing you all!!!

a

Love is the law.

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
sounds supa dupa fly

i shall bring me tripod n any other great things i can think of before then.....

talkcha all soon smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Oh god. Video evidence.

Ah well, lets just hope it doesn't rain and it stops being windy - lol, yeah right.
(Alternatively, we could all go and live somewhere hot and sunny... cool)

Anyways, am muchly looking forward to seeing you all.

Take care and I shall bring some Cadburys chocolate fingers.
Love Clare xoxo
hug hug
PS: steph, if you're having any problems give me a ring...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello m'luvelies,

Just stole this from the Irish Times website... cross your fingers and hope that it's right biggrin

Cork:

Friday: INTERMITTENT CLOUDS 10 to 16 °C

Saturday: PARTLY SUNNY 14 to 20 °C

Sunday : MOSTLY SUNNY 13 to 20 °Cv

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Are you going to give it back....

They wont be able to tell anyone else....

There will be panic, riots, people eeverywhere will have nothing to talk about!!!!!

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Foolish boy

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello there my lovelies,

First off, thanks muchly to Aidan and Sarah for letting me crash at their place at the weekend… Cork was fun and as usual, spent in a semi-conscious haze smile mucho, mucho thanks for that my lovely eggy friend.

I need to practice LOTS and thanks to everyone who showed me new and funky moves through their dancing.

Righto, as you all know, Halloween weekend (Oct 29/30/31) is also SpherculHoP day/s, and I’d love for you all to come up to Belfast for some busking and merriment in stupid-ass costumes.

I live in Bangor, about half an hour outside Belfast, but I think between Steph and myself we should be able to get accommodation sorted for youse.

That weekend will also see much Halloween nonsense in Belfast, including the Belfast festival see here: https://www.belfastfestival.com/welcome/dsp_welcome.jsp

So whaddya think? D’reckon - you’d like to come visit?! Most people in Belfast haven’t seen firedancing before.

Anyways, there’s a couple of places we could go busk, but after many phonecalls to the organisers of all the big events happening over the weekend, I reckon the best place will be outside the front of Queen’s University, Belfast – or at least, outside the front of the student union, which is across the road. The Uni won’t let us play with fire at the front of their building or on the grass, dammit. However, I’m getting written permission from the head of the union to say we can play there.

Also, I'm posting on all the websites I can find asking for djembe players and other firetypes to join us... please do the same, ask your friends, post on random websites and we'll try to get lots of people there. Ask people to get in touch with me via my email on firepoise at hotmail.

Also, take a look through the festival site above to see if there’s anything on you want to see while you’re up here - there's some pretty good things happening this year… apparently on the Friday night there’s gonna be Streetmusic Arabe – a mix of hip hop, electronica and djing from the middle east – could be worth checkin out smile

Okey doke, I’m in work, but I hope you all have a good Thursday evening and weekend.

Take care
love Clare xo
peace

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
Hey there... It's so good to write to people knowing what at least some of you look like! Thanks for a great weekend - especially to Aidan and co. for the floorspace and hospitality. My workmates are a bit sick of me going on about it now, so I must have had a pretty good time.

As far as Halloween goes, I haven't been given notice in my flat yet, so yeah, I have space for plenty of folks in my place, including about 6 spare bedrooms if we're lucky and they don't lock the doors of unoccupied rooms! Otherwise, it's couches and floors for all. I live about 10 convenient minutes from the city centre, and on an easy bus route.

Thanks Clare for researching locations! I wouldn't know where to start.

Have a good weekend...
Steph

I am glad this is an international game - I learnt in school that the world spins, and now I know it's true.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Steph, you are in fact a total legend and marvellous as well...

If things change by the end of October, that's cool, we'll get something else sussed, but in the meantime... thanks so much for the offer.

I'm going to check out Queens by night in case it's too bright... but I'm sure I'll find something decent.

Take care and I'll see you soon...
Clare x
PS: am working tonight and Sunday night... so not much of a weekend, but will try to be in touch soon

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yipeee!!!!

Count me in!!!

Lookin forward to some fancy dress fun. Oh dear, whatever will i wear?

Can i come as a sailor?

bounce2

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol... you can come as whatever you want...

But what do you all think about having a theme?!!

As part of the Belfast festival, they are holding a 'day of the dead' celebration... see here for more details... maybe that would be fun?!!

https://www.belfastfestival.com/events/dsp_eventDetails.jsp?iEventID=1069

xx

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
yay!! hello all! i am on a day off. its great!

thanks for cork guys, i had great fun, was there any trouble with yer neighbour and the car?? yikes! so i am going to spend the day fixing my poi smile i will soon have pretty tails again smile

wave

have a super day wink

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
Dia De Los Muertos sounds good, and it's free, which is even better! My landlord has to give me a months notice if I am to evicted, so it's too late to get rid of me before the Hallowe'en weekend... Yay... something to look forward to!

I'm off to Glasgow for a physio course this weekend, and am feeling thoroughly run down by a cold. Oh well, I get time off in another week.

On a cheerier note, I think I have my split time ttn sorted, and am dying to burn with a btb weave. Also can do some split time turns now... never really thought to try it before.

I am glad this is an international game - I learnt in school that the world spins, and now I know it's true.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey well done missus, I got a funky move this week - a 5bt TTN weave thingy, which is fun ubblol

Hope the course went ok, let me know when you're off... maybe I will have some time off too and we can do stuff?!

About Halloween... I've been getting some great feedback from people, so I'm hoping all you Dublin types are all looking forward to it biggrin

Anyways, take care m'luvelies, this thread has been a bit quiet of late... let me know how you all are!!

Take care
Clare xoxo

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
Hullo!!!

First off hope all of your lovely selves are well, clare congrats on the new move, 5bt ttn...sounds like some sort of model of appliance!

lisa, i got ur messge bout the swivels, and will keep you posted, im not sure yet.

for anyone out there in dublin, the usuals, or anyone lurking in the shadows, trinity college poi meets indoors tomorrow evening! thank christ, no more cold. actually, no more thinking of the cold, as i havent shown my face in there since the sumer ended.... oooops

so its 7-10 in the goldsmith hall....and no, i have no idea where that is. im trusting the kindness of strangers...

unfortuantely may not be able to go to belfast frown not for certain tho. couple of things have popped up, besides my complete lack of cash frown but also an important birthday on the saturday nite. what i thought was a casual few drinks, is now a dinner i wasnt expecting to be invited to...

i will keep at my mate though, the one from derry i was telling u bout clare, her and her mates are into theatre, and have their own performance group called STRAnge (go on! work it out!) so she may have some randomness to add to the equation.

Hope everyone is in fine form, im still seeing this boy, he is such a gentleman!! holds doors and all that malarky! will work on trying to get up to 'beal feirste', and havent heard from ado or sarah, hope there was no hassle over that wee mirror i vandalised....

love to y'all

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ubblol @ Laudie..... Dont worry about he mirror hun, all is well and we havent heard a word...

I demand you come to belfast though in repayment for the damages caused. if you dont I will tell....

Hiya Steph, Im lookin forward to squatting in your house biggrin

What news!!! I joined a juggling club!!! Next week.. Acrobalance!!!!! Weeeeeeee smile

Hope ya'll are well ubbrollsmile

Love is the law.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Hi guys, biggrin

Sounds like you're all busy and seeing a lot of each other - cool! Laura, there's a map to Goldsmith Hall here: https://www.csc.tcd.ie/~jugsoc/map.htm

Also, the DIT juggling club is up and running again, in the gym in Kevin St DIT on Wednesday evenings from 8pm. It's a much better hall, so i recommend this one.

Not that i can go, because i'm in New Zealand with Martin, hoping to go meet up with other poi people in the park tonight, if anyone shows up. Got to Auckland last Thursday after 2 weeks of tropical sunny paradise in Fiji cool . Not that i want to make ye all jealous or anything ubbloco . Take care y'all,

Helen bye

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Where is Lisa?

I demand you stop lurking and come say hello....

Dont pretend your working now..... wink

Love is the law.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
:sigh: ok then......

hello

juggle <- the new ado biggrin

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Wow, Lisa how'd you post at 12.01 pm when it's actually only 11.41am?!! Time travel is a particularly Jedi skill ubblol

Now Laura, don't go backing out on me!! I'm really trying to get all the spinners into Belfast over that weekend. (Especially cos it's that big SpherculHoP day thing too... it'd be good to represent biggrin)

If you do have something planned for Halloween, come up on the Saturday night, then go back down on the Sunday (Sunday is Halloween anyways)... but please, unless you're in New Zealand (which would be asking a bit much) I'd love for you all to come up smile

Helen, hope you're having a great time in New Zealand. The fire meet is normally on a Tuesday night in Victoria Park (at the New World shopping centre end), but am not sure if they'll have reappeared yet after winter... there's a lovely guy called Steve goes, he helped me fix my poi biggrin

Also, Auckland (and Welly) is the place for great live music. Check out one million dollars, Open Souls, Trinity Roots, Fat Freddy's Drop or Katchafire. They're all really funky and talented guys.

Glad you had a marvellous time in Fiji - are you going to Samoa to see the fireknifers?!

Anyways, hope to see you all soon
Take care
Clare xoxo

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Thanks Clare, did meet a Steve (may or may not be the one you know, he's an Aussie not a Kiwi) and picked up some tricks from him. Have to practice lots, because i'm meeting 3 fire juggling friends (Will, Rob and Gill, if Ado, Lisa and Sarah remember, from the party in Drumcondra after the black tie burning man do) to go to a busking festival in Australia in January. Hopefully earn a bit of cash what with their excellent fire juggling skills, plus my dubious poi ones. Take care y'all and do stay in touch,
h

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
hola!

i reckon it is officially winter now. BUUUURRRRRRRRR......Helen, please send some warmth in an envelope to my house....

guys, i really dont think im gonna be able to go up to belfast. clare, dont have anything planned for halloween, its the sat nite that is the problem, birthday dinner is then frown im also broke ass, but the dinner is the main reason. cristina florez wants to go tho! i will pm u her email address in case u dont already have it as she wants to know what is going on.

lisa i cant remember if i text u bout the swivels. hardware shop in dun laoghaire. oh wait i think i remember txtn u, tho it may hav bn a dream. i can give u my poi if u need to give examples in the shop. i didnt make it to trinity last week cos i was sick, but i will b there on tues. if anyone is trying to contact me via mobile, dont bother as i left it in kilcullen.... frown wont have it til tues.

i may b going to japan in feb/march. im tres excited smile

love to ya all smile

and hope ur weekends have bn most delightful

L

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
Hey Dublin people! I'm going to be down your way this weekend, will be busy on Sunday with English friends who are flying in for Mondays marathon, but I will be footloose, fancy-free and very possibly in a firey mood on Saturday. Is there anything going on, and if there's not, would anyone like to make something happen? Or just meet me for a pint?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Your timing is superb.

Clare and myself are also in town for the weekend.

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Will give you a ring shortly... when I've woken up. Argh. Mornings.

Page: ......