Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
What a lovely little place this is.

*Sits comfortably in favorite armchair*

now down to business. it may or may not be apparent from my posts in the mayo thread that I am going to be in dublin next friday night, this is due to my inability to name days of the week. I'll have a few friends with me. One learning and two willing to learn a little spinning.

As of yet I do not have specifics but I imagine they'll want to go out to the pub on saturday night. I was thinkin we could try to cover all the bases.

Maybe meet while the suns still up in the green, hang around and play a little. Go for a drink and chill/eat for a while and when its dark head off to somewhere a for Fire fun.

If anybody wants to learn staff let me know and I'll bring my second one...

all the very best of everythin

a

Love is the law.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I'll be in Mullingar (Co. Westmeath) from Sat for a week if anyone is passing through and fancies meeting up for a spin : )

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ah Yeats... wonder what he would make of firedancing?! smile

Well Aidan, I shall join you in my own special comfy chair (it has one of those lever things that makes the bottom shoot out for your legs - ahhhh, and recline. That's better smile )

Anyways, I'm meeting up with friends this Friday and I have yet to find out if I'm working on Sunday, but all being well, I'm definitely up for taking the train down on Saturday - if it's still ok to stay with you Lisa?!

So if I've got this right, Aidan, you're coming up Friday, but on Saturday there'll be afternoon practising, followed by evening fire, followed by nighttime drinking?!!!
Sweet smile

Ok, hope you're all well m'lovelies.
Take care
Love Clare xo

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:

All sounds good, as long as there is eating.

Hallo Kat!!!

Love is the law.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Allo Ado and one and all!

Well there's a Westmeath V Laois Replay and a hennight on Sat so I'll miss the Dublin festivities, enjoy!

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:

Who could argue with sports and fowl, Enjoy!!!

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Pity you'll miss it Kat,
but there'll definitely be eating Aidan... especially munchiness smile
Clare xo

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
yay! our new home!

*does a little happy dance*

clare, sure, you can stay with me, no problem at all i can meet you from the station if you let me know what time(ish) you'll be arriving.

aidan, bring your spare staff, i'd like to have another shot at it. i've loads of poi so there's plenty for your mates to try out.

so, sounds like a fine plan ado!

weavesmiley sunny weavesmiley followed by beerchug grouphug beerchug (and some food)

followed by weavesmiley devil weavesmiley devil weavesmiley

woohooo!!

------------------------------------

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, wayhey!!
F*ck it, I don't care if I'm working Sunday... I can just get the train up - I don't start til 4pm anyways.
So yep, I'll be there.

Ok, just phoned the train people... I'll get the train at 12pm, so I should be in Dublin at 2.40pm on Saturday smile
Coming back on Sunday its either leaving at 10am, arriving in Belfast at 12.15pm, or 2.30pm, arriving at 4.45pm - hmmm. Oh well, we'll see.

Anyways, thanks Lisa, I really appreciate the offer of somewhere to stay, heheheh, tis going to be lots of fun smile
I'll be the one wearing jeans, glasses with a red backpack and probably my hair in plaits biggrin - see you then

Take care lads
xo

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
So shall we say between around 3:30 ish in Stephens Green at the bandstand?

The Story so Far

Firepoise

Faberge (Patrick?)

Laudie

Ado-p (or me, or you! as my friends call me)

Sarah

Christoph

Ina

Squarefish ?

*Insert name here* ?

Helen

Nessa

Anybody else?

The more the merrier so bring all yer friends!!!
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1090502028)

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Yay! woohoo!! bounce2

i asked Patrick yesterday but i think he's going to london for a few days and only getting back on saturday so he said he'd see how he feels.

but i'll be there. and sure feck it, if it rains we can spin in the bandstand weavesmiley ubbloco weavesmiley

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
De-lurk........

Hi all, i'll see ye in the Green on Saturday so. I'll pass the word on to Martin (Squarefish) too. Think he's experiencing technical difficulties at the moment, hence his absence from the board. Might be able to get a couple more people out too.

See you then,

Helen

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:

groooovy

here i am on lunch. nice to see this wee congregation!

well. im working saturday, but i wil be meetin yiz at some stage or other on sat/sat nite. more than likely the nite!

i will pass on the msg to other poi-ers n staffers etc! so keep n eye out for other poiy people on sat!!

tried to txt u ystrday faberge, but no credit left, where bouts do u live, pm me if need be! just to know where wud be best for all for nite time. a beach wud be nice, but dont wana suggest howth if u live in greystones!!!!

L xx

Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hi laura,

i live in clondalkin, so that's not near any beach at all, north or south. i'm out west of town so it makes no difference which direction i go.
if it's too cold for the seafront we could always head up to the pheonix park.
anyone got djembe's or anything that they can bring along? all i have is a bodhrán but i've lost my stick so it's useless frown would be nice to have a couple of beats going on peace

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:

reckon the pheonix park is the way to go, its walking distance from the city n'all....

its got trees and stuff for shelter too, should we best pissed on.

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hehehhehehe.
Such excitement smile

I'll be getting into the railway station at 2.40 on Saturday - so hopefully I'll see Lisa there (thanks for this btw smile - I'll text you when I'm on my way ) Then I'll see all the rest of you at the bandstand - I agree with the Phoenix park idea. Beaches are nice if it's sunny and warm... but a park close to pubs is better beerchug

Djembe's, any type of drums, didjeridoos, guitars - all music will be welcome!!! But failing that, I'll bring my cd player and some crappy speakers... better than nothing smile

Hmmm... what should I do for fuel - I suppose the best thing is just to get it there, instead of carrying it on the train?!

I'm highly looking forward to this... see you all then.

Take care
Clare xo

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
not being a firey person yet i cant advise on the fuel situation, but keep in mind dublin is way expensive. actually i have never bought uel, i dont evn drive so i cant say what expenses may enue at all!!!!!

this is great people, so happy with this wee organisement! i am spreading the word as we speak, so hopefully other drummers n stuff wil come along.

crappy speakers are good tho, make a nice back up!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:

Fuel supplies should be ok, i'll def be buying some parrifin in dublin to take home with me
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1090568378)

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i'll sort out the fuel, i'll collect some on my way in to meet clare from the train. i get it in a camping store on mary st (bottom end of henry st)

clare i'll meet you at connolly. i'll text you beforehand and let you know what i'm wearing wink

this is really exciting bounce2 and the weather forecast for the weekend is good too biggrin

see ya all tomorrow bye

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ah, you legend. Thanks for that, I didn't really want to carry 4 litres of fuel on the train...

I suggest we get a lot of fuel, then divide the cost between everyone who turns up to spin fire.

marvellous.

See you all tomorrow xo

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Cool, I will bring a nice big metal tin so we can soak and dip and not fear the melting of plastic onto our skin.

its lookin good, cheers to everyone for the response. see you all tomoro biggrin

Love is the law.

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
yay

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there lads... wave

Well, it's 8.30pm on Sunday night, I'm sitting in work, and I'm absolutely totally bloody shattered smile

Just wanted to say I had a lovely day yesterday... it was great meeting you guys and I learnt new things beerchug

Much thanks to Lisa... thanks for letting me stay over, really appreciated it smile

So, looking forward to seeing you all again sometime soon

Take care hug

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I too had a very wonderfull weekend.

Thankyou to everyone who came along.

I dont think i could have picked nicer people to do my first public burn with.

Nice one folks

biggrin bounce hug

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
biggrin so glad you all had a good time, i had a blast ! (slept most of the afternoon yesterday though)

guess what? i turned on the tv late last nite and saw the tail end of the ballina mardi gras on TG4!! didn't see you clare, but there were some really cool close up shots of martin & helen. i wanted to ring you all to tell you to switch it on but my phone was out of credit frown

will be keeping a low profile this weekend due to cashflow problems, but hopefully see you all on rathlin the weekend after.....

hug2

Lisa peace

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello smile

Still sitting here in work, still bored.

However, I'm going to phone RTE and TG4 tomorrow, to see if I can get a copy of this tape... wanna see how it looked by the end of the parade ubblol

AND... even better... I've just bought my ticket to the mighty Roots, who are playing in Dublin on Monday 30 August... wayhey!!! Am definitely looking forward to that one. Is anyone else going?! The Roots are incredible, I saw them play in Auckland... can't wait for this one smile

Anyways, take care everyone... maybe see some of you in a couple of weeks?!!!

xx

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
i will most definitely be at the roots, me 22nd is on the 31st too, so shall b a wee celebration for uz all!!! ah i heard they were playn here and nearly wet meself. i'd say its gonna b some show!

c y'all soon

xx

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Clare, the tv programme was called Féilte 2004 and it was on TG4 from 22.00pm - 23.00pm (it was a repeat), if that's any help.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Hey all,

The RTE footage that was used is available for download here:
https://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0723/nationwide.html

Haven't seen it myself, but i hear Martin is in it.

Take care, and congrats to those who lost their fire virginity on Sat,

Helen

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ok folks, time to start talkin about raithlin, I weally weally want to go. been lookin at trains and planes and there is not much difference in price.

Basically I could land in belfast at 20:30 on friday night and fly home monday whenever.

so how you gettin there if your goin? i reckon i'd wantin to be bookin the ticket fairly lively coz theys gettin snapped up big style.

talk to me soon

a

Love is the law.

Page: ...