Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

gyrospectdave1SILVER Member
119 posts

Posted:
we were in temple bar in the square.
they said they had problems before and complaints and stuff.we have had problems in the past with leaving parafin on the ground, so now we leave salt wherever we go so it soaks up the bulk of it and makes it less slippy, and since then we havnt had any problems of that sort. we will be checking up on it and seeing what we can do.
with regards the busking chanpionships..we asked the guard in the station and he knew nothing about the competition and assumed that it wouldnt be able to happen with the new orders. but he could have been out of the loop?..

splintynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
sounds like local guards trying to stop the busking to me frown

"If you roll a pencil is it still stationary?"

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I think it's got to be a little more complicated than that. I mean they're not stopping comedians or musicians?

Though I wish they'd shut Fred Savage up! That dude, wrecks my head ubblol

Drumming can be annoying, but we drum and busk often and have never gotten a speckle of trouble from the law, except late in temple bar.

It must be specific to the fire and possible the juggling, though I'd guess more the fire... shrug

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
BOOOOOOOOOOO!!! mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad censored censored censored censored mad2 mad2 mad2 mad2

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
The last time we got stopped in temple bar the guard told us that it was basicly the Temple Bar Commitee that had the final say about what happened in that area. If they submit a complaint, then it will almost alway be acted on...

Bear in mind that it could also be the other buskers complaining about the parafin...

There are others that do shows there and I imagine the acrobats especially dont enjoy the parafin or salt covered ground...

Just some thoughts...

We got stopped first on grafton street that night and so headed to temple bar... the gaurds we're waiting for us there and didnt even let us get started... thats when we heard the story of the comiteeeee...

Hey baz... we might head to dublin at some stage this weekend. hows your lady? You guys up for a bit of hanging around and maybe even a bit of giggling? We'll be in Tullamore on friday night and might head to dub on saturday.

Anybody else around that weekend? James? Whos going to the 'World Busking Championships'?

Love is the law.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
There's a good chance I'll be in Clare dude. When you getting up here? If I could meet you before hand I could give you my key and you could stay in my room...I have a big double bed... smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Saturday at some stage... and thats if we dont decide to hang out in Tullamore for the rest of the weekend...

A large empty double bed would be most cool smile Provided you arent in it of course... wink

Love is the law.

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
me and LN will be taking a romantic weekend away in citywest for out 7 year aniversary (7years and one day now). we'll be around on saturday during the day although she'kll be working on riverdance on saturday afternoon and evening, probably friday evening too. and she might be doing the clubs aswell.. who knows. but give me a buzz anyways.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

splintynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
ill b out at the busking championships definetly, should be a good laugh

"If you roll a pencil is it still stationary?"

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
I'll also be out and about at the Street Performance World Championships this weekend. Hope to see some of you there. There's also an African Carnival in Wolfe Tone Sq (beside Jervis St) which sounds quite cool.

As regards permits and such, the busking festival won't be affected, as they are in Merrion Square, and parks are treated differently. They are working alongside Dublin City Council, so you can be sure their paperwork is in order.

Temple Bar Properties are very paranoid about performing with fire. Partly because it does create such a slip hazard on their ultra-smooth pavement surfaces. If you use spin-off cans, and salt the ground, you get rid of some of this, but not all. I myself had a rather large bruise on my hip after slipping on parafin sprayed ground there at a gig a few years ago. Also there's the usual insurance blah blah concerns...

Temple Bar are also very protective of their turf because they have so many scheduled events happening in the squares - both markets, and parts of the Diversions festival. They pay acts to do the festival, and they can't really have buskers stealing their thunder, or occasionally refusing to clear the space for scheduled performances. (I'm not saying that anyone here has done that, just that Temple Bar Properties have said that it has been a problem in the past.)

I think Dublin has turned a bit anti-juggler/spinner recently, and i'm not quite sure why, as i haven't heard of any incidents involving safety or the guards. Trinity and Stephen's Green have both been angsty on occasion lately, and i hope it's not part of a growing trend. It's kind of like the way that every now and then they randomly crack down on skateboarders, who never bother me one way or the other.

Anywho, hope to see some of ye over the weekend

hug

h

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Congrats Barry and LN hug2

The problem with the fire busking may be that there are now so many people just going out to spin around some fire without any type of safety precautions, or show, or insurance...

Maybe shrug

Perhaps cut back on it for a while, and then approach the committee with a formal proposal or recommended safety guidelines for fire busking?

Maybe there could be a special license for fire artists, and you have to demonstrate some level of fire safety awareness and responsibility to get the license?

Meh, just suggestions...

BekarPLATINUM Member
Best fire theatre of BY, PL and UA in 2007, Bychyna competition
54 posts

Posted:
Hello, All!

Thank You very much for answers!
Sorry for the offtopic!

WBR,
Bekar,
Minsk, Belarus.

Best Regards, Aliaksej <span style="font-weight: bold">"Bekar"</span> Burnosenka,<br />Fire and Medieval Theatre <span style="font-weight: bold"> "DiGrease's Buffoon Theatre"</span> <br /> <br />e-mail: bekar@tut.by<br />phone: +375 29 5076263<br />Minsk, Belarus

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
As an aside, does salting the ground reeeeaaalllly do anything? Seriously?

gyrospectdave1SILVER Member
119 posts

Posted:
it seems to, i used to use sand which worked really well, but it was too much awkwardness, so we use salt now and it works pretty well, not quite as well as sand but it does make a big difference.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
yes it does. it provides a better grip on extremely smooth surfaces like polished granite paving and the like. the salt also helps break down the parrafin as it disolves.

have you seen how sprinkling salt on an icy surface makes the ice melt almost immediately? it's not quite as affective on parrafin but it's the best solution we've been able to some up with.

another alternative would be sand, but sand can often look unsightly, depending on where it's being sprinkled, unless you're going to brush it up afterwards...

it's an awful shame that busking's been forbidden in temple bar, but i can't say i'm surprised. the last 6 months or so has seen a incredible amount of new fire spinners take to the streets and in my opinion many (not all, but many) of these have absolutely no regard for spinning etiquette. i've seen people spin in temple bar with no spacial awareness (i've actually seen two spinners on two seperate occasions hit an onlooker with a flaming poi) with no regard for basic fire safety, i.e. fire extinguisher, fire blanket etc. and i rarely ever see anyone use a spin-off can. sprinkling salt afterwards is not enough, spin-off cans will hugely reduce the amount of excess parrafin sprayed on the ground, and also save you up to a quarter of your fuel.

anyways, i agree with clare, just let things chill for a wee bit. i'm sure if someone were to approach the authorities with a proposal in the near future it'll be grand.

and there's always grafton street. i've never heard of anyone being moved on there...

L peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

We got stopped first on grafton street that night and so headed to temple bar... the gaurds we're waiting for us there and didnt even let us get started... thats when we heard the story of the comiteeeee...

umm

wink

hug

tis true though, its high season too guys, bear that in mind... like galway is usually chilloutville but when the tourists arrive the cops want the hippies out of site...

when we turned up on the street in galway and burned, we got moved on...

when we turn up and do a set show, with a defined stage and a noticable amount of care taken to be safe and professional looking, we never have a bother... these days the cops help us out with shitty crowds... but they are fickle...

cops dont like to see people gathering on a regular basis in large groups in places like that either. how many of you are there?

a weekly fire night somewhere a bit less busy might be just the thing... leave the busking lie for a while and then organise it good and proper...

Love is the law.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
There are large groups...

I agree with the etiquette thing...

I know about salt on ice, but I though it was a chemical thing? My point is it's important not to over rate salt's effectiveness...it's fighting an uphill battle.

Big up da spinoff can massive!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Salt gives a better grip, which is why we use it, but there's nothing that can really soak up the parrafin and make it go away...

To be honest, we all have to accept some responsibility for this, because when we started fire busking in Temple Bar a couple of years ago (and there were alot of us), we didn't really think about the consequences.

Now we have lots of people wanting to do the same thing, without any type of guidelines... it's not really a huge surprise that the police don't want loads of random people throwing fire around in a very busy area.

Perhaps some of us could try to put together a few guidelines and approach the committee with it? The number of fire spinners will have to be limited though... can't see any way around that.

gasolineSILVER Member
54 posts

Posted:
we are usually between 5 and 10... sometimes we can be more than that but some are just playing drums and not everybody go and perform.

Good news: we're allowed busking again, thanks to Brian and Connie!! But no staff throws and more security (white tape so people don't come too close, etc...)

Haagen Daas (i don't know how to spell it) also complained about the smell of paraffin (they are situated just behind us) but at the same time we bring them loads of customers so... it's a bit stupid of them to complain... anyway, we have to find a way to keep the smoke away from them... and the others... arf

Well, the Street Performance World Championships won't be stopped so it's really really good news. (Even if we can't throw staVES...)

My poor Sirius is already really sad, that's what he prefers, being thrown very high... but offtopic wink

Gimme fuel, Gimme fire, Gimme that which i desire!

TheDeeSILVER Member
47 posts

Posted:
Go Brian and Connie... some sensibility reigns biggrin

Probably not a bad idea to avoid staff throws until things settle down again awayway... better a few sensible restrictions rather than a complete ban

spudmonkeyGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
that red parafin that we were using does smell horrible

so you cant really blame them for complaining.its legand that fire spinning is no longer "illegal" in temple bar though.
EDITED_BY: spudmonkey (1154719209)

gasolineSILVER Member
54 posts

Posted:
yep... we went busking yesterday night, but not in temple bar, in Grafton Street... the weird girls dancing like a "girlband" were on Temple Bar square... But it was great, we had tape (Connie!!) and we did really well. The guards were here, but we've been really careful and they didn't stay long.

everything (nearly) back to normal!

ubbrollsmile

Gimme fuel, Gimme fire, Gimme that which i desire!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
You're using red parrafin?!

You know that stuff is really toxic and eats through wick?

We normally only use ordinary, clear parrafin (it doesn't smell half as bad), but recently on a couple of trips to Dublin and Galway have needed to use that red stuff... the difference to your wicks (and your health the next day) is really noticable.

I strongly suggest you don't use it... just put in the effort to find decent fuel!... (think you can buy it in two hardware stores in Dublin)

But it's good that fire busking has been allowed back to Dublin - please look after that spot for the rest of us!

Clare

spudmonkeyGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by spudmonkey
EDITED_BY: spudmonkey (1154798364)

KitKatSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone..I just caught the end of the busking on Grafton Street Friday night... I was in awe..
It was awsome.. I think its great to see. Livens up the city me thinks.. It was also especially amazing for me because its the 1st time Ive seen fire poi in real life, and the 1st poi ive seen since I started spinning.
I was talking to a very nice guy called Cameron for all of about a minute.. But yeah, I loved it!
thanks to everyone for putting it on.. It really brightened up my day/night. No pun inteneded.
So yeah, cheers!! Its really great to see a bit of variety in busking and excitment.
Also, the World Street Performance Championship today was amazing! The Space Cowboy and Johan Walton... WOW! thats all im saying for those going tomorrow..

anyways.. what a lenghty post.
I just wanted to say cheers and well done and offer you my awe... **gives awe**

cat
xxxx

Shavin my shoulders........

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Hurrah for Cameron biggrin

He posts here as imprettylikedrugs and we love him lots ubblove

Also, hurrah for seeing fire spinning for the first time :lesigh:

smile

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
right, lads, i dont normally insist on people attending events, but this is going to be AMAZING!!

the night- thursday night,

the venue - Life bar (just beside the abbey luas stop)

the gig - "We're not dance"

many up-coming alternative/rock bands followed by a late night dee-jay

the fee €7, €5 if you can get a flyer

when you get to the door tell them you are there to see DR-FANDANGO. i'll be your best friend if you do that.

see you there.

Baz

p.s. , ciara and fiona (ciza and fix, or whatever you may know them as) are promoting the event. its a revalutionary gig whereby the artists promote other artists. the promoters put all the earnings back into promoting the next gig.. last week was lots of fun, and every week will be better and better.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I wont make it of course...

But....

Would anyone like to join us on a bit of a camping trip this weekend?

We found a very nice spot beside a field of mushrooms last week... wink ubblol

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheDee

Probably not a bad idea to avoid staff throws until things settle down again awayway...

probably not a bad idea to avoid staff throws until whoever's throwing them can actually catch them, don't ya think? wink

camping beside a field of mushrooms? is it not a bit early in the year?

...for camping i mean biggrin

tongue

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Apparently not wink

Love is the law.

Page: ......