Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I already bounced in another thread btu congrats again. you've put our little island on the map, and that aint know small thing. You did it. smile

Oh.. yeah, the cork cummunity circus is on every tuesday night at 5.30 till 8 in the Loch Community Centre at the Top of Barracks St. Greenmount.

Love is the law.

gasolineSILVER Member
54 posts

Posted:
hey dave! if i can i'll try to be here on tuesday, i'll text you when i arrive anyway. I'll try to organise something with you mairead hugh and others as well.

i might take my sirius with me!! so bring snoopy and we'll work on our routine

hug

Gimme fuel, Gimme fire, Gimme that which i desire!

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Nice one Clare!

clap clap clap

Mucho congratualtification!

hug

Ronan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
good golly, its a long time since ive been in here.

great to see so much activity around smile
whats this thing that clare did?? i missed the memo or something.

see y'all in tralee

*running back to do more projects*

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

BobbinsSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
Well done to everyone who was at the Odyssey on tuesday night - it looked excellent. Didnt get home till 6.30 the next morning - we dont get a baby sitter very often so we made the most of it biggrin. 3 gigs in one day followed by a big session certainly takes it out of you - i'm still aching 2 days later.

Work Less, Spend Less!

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Yay Clare!

ubblove kiss ubbrollsmile biggrin biggrin biggrin beerchug clap clap clap bounce bounce2 bounce2 bounce bounce bounce2 bounce2 hug

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
you didnt get home til 6.30 im just getting home now....way too much booze lol

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Clare won COL Barry!

Yay!!!! Go Clare! biggrin

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

spiderhorseSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
Well done Clare for winning COL!!! clap

See you at fire gathering on Tuesday.

Emily

761 posts

Posted:
congratulations clare. well chuffed for ya bounce clap bounce2

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Whoop - see some of you tomorrow biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
woooooo yay for clare!!!!!
Congrats!!!!
*hugs*
hug

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
wave

Thanks everybody... it was all a bit of a surprise... but I appreciate all the comments and congrats...

Thanks as well for all the circusy info... I'll get the front page updated later.

Bobbins - thanks for a great show... you guys did really well, and it looked brilliant. Hope to see you (with Durbs) tomorrow night at Morton (nice avatar, btw smile )

Hope you're well Andrea!! Maybe see you in thailand smile

Take care all
x

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
ado please get in touch....i really need my poi and fire hands. wink

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
girl, you should start following your own messages around. i replied to you in my intro thread. aaaages ago...

go look there *poke*

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello hello wave

I just updated the front page of this thread with gatherings and events... also the Meet Others Ireland page.

Please have a look at it and let me know if there are any mistakes, or if any of the bits I made up are wrong.

Thanks!
x

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Oh yes... and our fire gathering is happening tomorrow night... 10pm... Crescent Park, Belfast smile

Bring jumpers biggrin

x

Fired_Upnewbie
14 posts

Posted:
So Clare,

Wats the deal with you? Are you like the queen of fire in Ireland? Its seems like(well from looking at these threads) you are the be all and end all of fire spinners and jugglers in ireland. Dont mean to be ignorant but i was just wondering what your story is?

Also, this fire gathering in belfast 2moro nite? Is any1 allowed to turn up or is it a private thing, i live about an hour away from belfast and would be interested in calling up to it?

Peace

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Queen Clare!

tongue

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol umm ubblol

Nope... not at all... I just do quite alot of organising, so meet lots of people... shrug

If you want to know 'what my story is', then come along tonight and ask me in person... however, you'll have to introduce yourself, cos I don't know your name.

But, I love spinning - I like how it makes me feel, so I've tried to put together a couple of things in Belfast where other people who like it can do it too.

The fire gathering in Crescent Park is open to anyone - sometimes we get lots of people, sometimes not... but it's informal, and just about people turning up and spinning... nothing more.

Just bring a good attitude and your toys.

Hope to see you later
Clare x

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Off with their heads!!!

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
umm

Was that harsh? Didn't mean to be...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
nonono...

my lady came today and has coincided with other assorted good news and nice things.

so im a bit giddy.

now then queen clare... are you going to organise an all ireland fire gathering? i think you should. an in his absence, i volunteer eimhins house... smile

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Whaddya mean in his absence? Where is he? Hope he's ok smile

Hellos to Amelie and I hope you both have a splendid time together - though I'm sure you plan to.

I'm not organising nuthin...
It only ends up in ppl getting pissed off because they don't feel 'included' enough, or I end up getting hassle because I'm 'taking over' (meh, that one I never understand)...

Anyways... isn't everyone going to Tralee?! That should be fun... and I might be bringing a Durbs with me smile

bounce

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I mean he's not here to volunteer it himself. smile hes good in himself. back in college and beign very studious

Theres not much to organise really. Pick a date and a place and tell everyone. somewhere central would be cool for the long distance travelers. You seem like a good choice coz you have your finger on the pulse so to speak... and you have everyones email address...

Theres always going to be bitching. Who cares. If everyone turns up let the ones with the sore arses stay home...

How about a fire festival next may?

Tralee is going to be great... full o jugglers though... wink

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
As it happens (and completely contradicting my previous post)... I'm thinking of organising such a festival next year... not sure about May though... it's going to be alot of work.

It would be a one-day thing... with fire, music and food... and I've been offered a lovely venue... but can really only do it in Belfast - because organising a big fire-anything in the south creates insurance problems... there's too many of us now to organise something big, informally (if you get my meaning).

Belfast isn't that far away, in fairness... we're not living in Canada or anything.

Will see what I can arrange smile rolleyes biggrin

Tralee will be full of jugglers - but we can take em... wink

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Your just saying that coz you live there... wink It really is that far away... less if your driving of course. But for something big a bit of travel is no problem.

I miss the days of hangin around in feilds and burning till dawn...

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Exactly - that's the attitude smile

Nothing good comes easy biggrin

Indeed... back in the days when six of us at Tara, or somewhere in Dublin didn't require massive amounts of planning and log-ist-ics...

Thank god for my little fiesta though biggrin

(which, btw, has since been updated to something altogether more Postman Pat like... you shall see....)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
This is what I've posted on the first page of this thread... and the Meet Others page... if there is anything to be changed, let me know smile

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet on Bolton Street (?!)

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile
EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1162906853)

761 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

full o jugglers though...

some of us are jugglers too ACTUALLY! i didnt know amelie was back in Ireland, how is she keepin?

and clare, you brought a tear to my eye, talking abt the old time spinning meets where it was just a few of us, out in a field, drinkin bukky and spinning away. it'd be great to do that again sometime, but not in winter (brrrrr, these old bones rattle) a meeting at the start of summer would be loverly... we could try somewhere in Tullamore, or on the west coast or something.

btw, the Dublin Juggling meetings are in Linnen(sp.) Hall. its across the road from bolton street, through the archway at the side of bodkins, and up on the top floor, in the gym.

ohhhh my i cant wait for Tralee!!

im off for a meal with some friends. byeeee

oh before i go, i was typing a report the other day and i wanted to type Draft... but my fingers got stuck and i wrote Dfart by accident... thought it was a bit funny.

anyways (hugs all round) ciao kiss

Page: ......