Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

Nonkymember
44 posts

Posted:
Clare

Have I been 'removed' from the list then? As I never heard that last night was still going ahead ... frown

I've been so busying studying most of the year and now I have the time to spare- I wasnt sure it was on as I never got any email or Text!!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Oops... Sorry Jen, nope, noone gets removed from the list!!

I just forgot to put you on it, since I just kindof assumed you knew about the gatherings!! Sorry missus biggrin

Y'know, we were talking about you just last night as well... wondering where you'd got to!

PM me your email addy again, and I'll stick you on there... will be good to see you again smile

Josh...

I didn't meet Amma in Munich - but Andy did. He volunteered to help out with various duties and suchlike... I think he enjoyed it smile

And it was Andy who danced... of course smile

Are you trying to make it to Thailand this winter? I hope so smile

Perhaps I may be there in January or February... maybe...

Take care hug2

Nonkymember
44 posts

Posted:
Thanks Clare smile

I will PM you

joshgomeramember
155 posts

Posted:
@clare:
..so it was andy..thought about biggrin

...yes i try to go to thailand!! maybe beginning of december or january! let-s see..really wanna join the rainbow gathering and if i find it, the poi camp... biggrin

..i-ve another AMMA-information for you..
she-s gonna be in dublin!! ubbangel

15.-16. november ,national show centre,cloghran, co. dublin- next to the airport !! e-mail: help@ammaireland.org

so there-s still a chance to get a lovely hug from her..

first one hug from me..nearly the same ubblol ubbrollsmile
josh

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Same, same, but slightly different smile

And one back from me... hug2

15 and 16 November eh? Interesting... the Whirling Dervishes are performing in Belfast on the 16 November, accompanied by Sufi music and poetry...

That could be a nice little two-day adventure into happiness... smile

Thanks josh, hope you're doing well mister
xx

Tir_na_nOgjourneyman
55 posts

Posted:
Hey everybody!

Been wrapped up with college and a horrible tooth ache for the last while, but now got my mind firmly on Tralee!!!

So come on then... who's not gonna bother going coz its too far!?? Name and shame time!! mad2

Party at the UCD apartments!!!

Ronan - dya know if your gonna be around for Tralee? Crap luck on the plane ticket situation! Finally getting those hybrids!!

Clare n Lisa - Havent seen ye in ages (well in real life, i saw ya's on da telly!) biggrin The editing on your stuff looks superslick!!

Ado - Ill send ya a text as soon as I get credit! biggrin

And Ill see everbody at Tralee juggle Woo Hoo juggle

Take care!!! smile

Rob
EDITED_BY: Tir na nÓg (1161787583)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Woot - will be back along to the Tuesday night spin on the er...7th biggrin

Might actually speak to people this time too eek
wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep indeed... fire gatherings with random international poi celebs...

Only in Belfast... rolleyes

ubblol

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Hopefully going to have my new plane tickets sorted out by tomorrow, €150 more expensive but flying from dublin so no arseing about around europe, so should be gone by tralee juggle convention.
Hope you're enjoying the braintwisty hybrid world.... a true sign of too much time on your hands wink

Hope everyones doing well,

grouphug

Ronan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Nice one Ronan...

Have a great time, and bring hugs to Nick smile

Fired_Upnewbie
14 posts

Posted:
Bonjourno mes amigo,

Hey, i didnt relise there was such a crew into poi and stuff in ireland at all, groovy or wat!

Hey every1, i'm from Co Louth and i'm big into my poi. Its nice to see that i'm not the only person in the whole country who likes to spin fire and do other stupid [censored] that could burn you.

So i learned poi in england when i were at uni, and now i'm back, and i'm wondering what the craic is over here? If any 1 can let me know where all you fellow poiers and jugglers meet up to spin and stuff that'd be sweet.

Wats the deal with tralee, wats happenin down there that every1 is goin on about?

Cool to meet all you guys........

peace

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hurrah!!

New person biggrin

Welcome.... hug

There are regular gatherings in Dublin and Belfast... and I think the next big meeting is Tralee Juggling Convention - at the end of November.

Come along... not sure who will be there, but there'll definitely be some :vague: smile

Take care
Clare

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
This Tralee thing... what/where/when/why/who/can I go/teach/perform? smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

TheDeeSILVER Member
47 posts

Posted:
"This Tralee thing" is the annual Tralee juggling convention... details are as sent to me by Con Fanzini - as per most Irish conventions, it's a very friendly bunch and everyone is welcome!

Hi Dee,

Things are set, acts, venues and insurance sorted so here goes..

Fri 24th Nov Greyhound Bar beergarden Pembroke Street Tralee (go through main bar to beergarden) meeting up, band, djs.

Sat 25th Nov 9am KDYS Hall Denny St. Tralee hall opens for registration, workshops and whatever you're havin yourself. Hall closes @ 4 for public show.

5pm Siamsa Tire Theatre Tralee Public show Circus Siamsa (6 tasty acts booked)

7pm Renegade venue Park View room Brandon Hotel Conference Centre (very near Siamsa Tire.) More juggling here till start of renegade

9pm renegade. After renegade, fire show and djs.

Sun 26th Hall opens 9am for more juggling and workshops.

Games at 2ish in the town park.

The whole lot will cost you E18. Thats it for now, see you in Tralee.

Fanzinis.

Tir_na_nOgjourneyman
55 posts

Posted:
Yaaaaay tralee!!! beerchug beerchug and juggle and some new ubbidea 's !!!!!

The more spinnyness the better!!!!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey mister Durbs... we may perhaps all go down to Tralee after Dublin on the 21st... maybe biggrin

Have a look at your diary and see if you're free smile

hug2

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...seeing the Killers (whoop!) on the Sunday evening, but could maybe make Fri & Sat (and maybe some of Sunday morning).
But then flying back on the weekend will push the flight prices up, will have to see.
Oh yeah, I was meant to be looking at those prices wasn't I...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep... but Tralee is miles and miles from Dublin... you'd have to fly from Shannon on the Sunday, probably.

Good luck finding a spinner for tonight hug2

gerireMember
17 posts

Posted:
Ah I fianlly find my way back to home. Pain in the arse having the car robbed, even worse when the poi's were in the boot at the time. So have had to wait for new one's to arrive back for ages. That and playing/concentrating on hurling has left me very rusty to say the least.

Clare if I pm you an email addy can you let me know when the next meetings are on?? Im on a long day in work on tuesday but will hopefully make it into trinity next week and finally get to meet some of you all.

TheDeeSILVER Member
47 posts

Posted:
Well Trinity will be on from 7-10pm in Goldsmith as usual - you may find yourself attacked by killer balloon animals though - we're having a series of workshops on balloon modelling and Halloween may inspire us smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep...

I don't know much about the Dublin meetings... but Dee has just told you anyways smile

I think the next big meeting of everyone is the Tralee juggling convention - at the end of November.

Just for an update... could we get some kind of list going about what's happening around the country?

I know what's happening up here - but where/when are the local meets in Dublin, Cork and Galway (and anywhere else that has regular meets/workshops/gatherings)?

It would be good to bring it all together, or at least, update the info that's already out there.

Gerire, sorry to hear about the car! That sucks... and added poi theivery as well. Bah.
frown

Take care, see you sometime
hug

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
well...
in galway the meets are:
tuesday at nuigalway in ArasNaMacLeinn at 5pm,
on thursday at 5pm in nuig at the bankofireland theatre,
Sunday 12-4 at the dangan sports centre.

And there shall be a multi-media Circus cabaret night in the townhall theatre in Galway on the 16th of november, along the lines of the fantasmagoria in a "same-same but different" kind of way. It is a stagecraft fundraiser event and will be followed by a night of dancing round the corner in the rowing club,
i think,
wave

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
i just got my halloween costume yey bounce

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks Eimhin!! hug2

Hope you're well... see you in Tralee hopefully?

See you tomorrow Colleen... costume for Pigeon and Plum?! Wait til ya see my dress smile

Best wishes to all the Irish spinners for Samhain... I hope your summer's were splendid and winter passes quickly...

grouphug

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
im not going to p+p 2 mates coming up from portstewart couldnt get tickets, so i have to go the limelight.....but im going as a fairy and i have really cool bouncy wings.....i have a feeling im gonna annoy people with them tho they might accidently hit them lol see you tomorrow.....fingers crossed no rain ubblol

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Nah, weather forecast looks grand... smile

Anyways, we're doing fire biggrin

Tis a pity about Pigeon and Plum... might see you later though... in the meantime... see you at 5pm tomorrow smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Large portions of "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" smile

RyanAir *spit* - Shannon -> LGW around midday Sunday £42, on Saturday £15... Is it worth going for the Friday and morning of Saturday? Or rather, is it worth paying the extra to stay until (some of) Sunday?
Important question 1) What's accomodation for this?
Important question 2) Would someone be able to give me lift to Shannon airport for around Midday on the Sunday?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DeclanBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
Dublin:

Mon - DIT 17:00 - 19:00(in hall behind belvedere college)

Tues - Trinity college 19:00 21:00 (goldsmith hall, Pearse street)

Wed - DIT 19:00 - 21:00(Bolton street)
NCAD 16:30 - 18:00 (just found out about this one)

Thurs - UCD 18:00 - 21:30 (memorial hall, down beside the architecture buildings)

also heard that IADT (dun laoghaire) might be getting something going, possibly on fridays, unconfirmed rumours though.

gyrospectdave1SILVER Member
119 posts

Posted:
iadt is on tuesdays from 6-8. its mostly beginners and im just getting them started so they can start to teach themselves and progress that way. everybody is welcome, and id love to have somebody to spin with there.

wyld_phyreSILVER Member
14 posts

Posted:
Congrats clare and the rest of firepoise on winning. You're a HOP celebrity now w00t w00t!

Not like its any of your beeswax!

Page: ......