Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

gasolineSILVER Member
54 posts

Posted:
well, i dont go that often to dublin coz i have to cycle for about 30m then take the dart for an hour... and with the weather it's not always that fun to cycle... shrug

so i was hiding with some friends who don't know anything about juggling, and when we go to dublin, well, i always have my poi with me but we never go where you all are... damn it! mad2

so, can someone tell me where exactly i can meet you, on which day? (i must sounf really desperate posting messages in every subjects... redface )

Gimme fuel, Gimme fire, Gimme that which i desire!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin biggrin

Nope.

Just enthusiastic... which is splendid biggrin

Tragedy is posting on an internet forum at 3am on a Saturday night rolleyes

Yeep.

Dammit, I'm away for a spin...

hug

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
I was in Barcelona last month. All i know is that the Police are Militaristic AS NAzIs. They take you fire poi off of you, So Fire is Really Not allowed. But alot of people juggle on La Rambla during the day with clubs, and are normally pretty friendly (alott of them are homeless or in Squats, so if your lookin for floor space or more info on juggly spots its a good place to start askin) I went for a spin with some folks Near Plaza De Teuton (So not spelt correctly but you get the phonetic Gist of it) Have Fun Mr. Ronan, the place kicks ass smile

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.

gasolineSILVER Member
54 posts

Posted:
Hi!! i just got my staff!!! YYYEEEEEPEEEE!! ubbloco

is there someone located in Dublin who could show me 2 or 3 things (or more wink ) ??

(i'm sooo happy happy happy! ubbtickled )

Lucie

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
hey gasoline, im in dublin and i do a little bit of staff. I can show you some stuff. pm me if your interested. smile

Grow old but never grow up

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hey Gasoline,

Congrats on your stick. and welcome to HOP smile

in fact, welcome to the dark side.... devil

To all you's other folk...

WHATS GOING ON!!!!!!!

I highly recommend some semi organised spinnines. Where too?

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Bangor?

We have space...

We have a carpark...

And we have lots of really cool visitors biggrin

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I was thinkin more along the line of tenting it out....

We'd already done tara by this time last year...

Lets go get some fresh air!!!!

Raithlin? Tara? Ronans house?

Somewhere central would be nice... Maybe a lake and a forest or something...

Any ideas?

Love is the law.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yeah, theres's a lovely walk in the woods near gloscter with a lake in the middle with a ye oldy chapel nearby just outside where i live in birr, co.offaly. tongue
there's ample tent space and birr is two hours from every where...and i told Andy i'd bring him to my hometown, so, who's up for filling this space with time and grace? and possibly a little paganism...
yes the darkside devil Gasoline...
see you on thursday Ado for some scheming umm

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Sounds delicious. A day in the garden of good and eimhin?

Speaking of central

There is also here

https://merganser.math.gvsu.edu/myth/uisneach.html

https://www.hoganstand.com/general/identity/extras/heritage/stories/uisneach.htm

Home of the fire druids. Though might be a bit windy.... There is a rainbow festival coming up here fairly soon too.... Remember the guys with the tipee last year at tara? Could be a nice way to spend a weekend...

It may be friday morning when i get up. Seems we have a organised a bit of spinniness here in town for a charity on thursday. If anyone is around there welcome to stay at ours. There will also be belly dancing, jonglage and a whole heap of drummers...

Love is the law.

160 posts

Posted:
Oh Thank God somethings gonna be happening!

Be It Birr or Bangor Id love to do something! Ummm, are we talking bout this weekend coming up or the weekend after? Ado-P any chance i could get a copy of the fire DVD from the dub Convention? Is it uploaded any where or is it a Blue Peter style stamped adressed envelope job? (if so could you PM me your address?)

Hey There Gasoline : ) welcome!!! i dont spin staff buit i do swing white socks about my head, im gonna be buskin on grafton street on thursday round three (ish) if you want to pop by and have a chat? (um i wont be fire poi-ing, just socks and balls) <----- HEHEH oh when your a juggler the sick jokes never stop, do they Folks? ubblol ubblol ubblol umm

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
elo mr pretty smile

I would love to be able to burn copies of the dvd. unfortunatley.... my computer is dead and so i dont have the resources to burn nuthin frown

Any chance we could upload it to your server space Clare? I know your not a big pc geek but im sure we could manage that handy enough. Then peeps could download it...oooh yeah...any sign of those lovely photos that fabby took of the fireshow?

also, we copied the whole lot. including the fire from belfast, onto the good Doctor Fandangos computer in dublin. I heard hes out of the country so i suggest armed robbery...

aaaaaaannnnd

im gonna be in galway this weekend so i will bring the camera with me and upload it onto any computers i can find. with any luck we might be able to burn it there.

Love is the law.

gasolineSILVER Member
54 posts

Posted:
if i can free myself from the kids i'll try to come on thursday... but still not sure! shrug

so see you there, maybe, maybe not...

wave

160 posts

Posted:
Ado-P Your a resourceful gentleman, so whenever is great, dont hassle yourself and thankx
Gasoline!!! you live in Rathmichael !? thats by shankill aint it? im out in Bray, and i have a mate (Simon Quirke) who lives out by you, Any chance ye know each other? He does Diablo?

Any who, if i see you i see, you.... Look for a lanky red head hitting himself in the testicles with sock poi if your on Grafton Street. ubbtickled

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there m'lovelies... wave

We can't make it this weekend, I'm afraid (filming and it's Crescent Cabaret night - all are welcome up to join us for the filming and a great night, btw biggrin)... and next weekend we may (possibly) be getting some uber lovely visitors here...

The following weekend is Falmouth 5, but sadly no money for flights frown - so maybe then for camping?

Eimhin... hope you and Andy have a great time in Birr... pass on one of these to him please hug2 smile Glad you'se are having fun smile

Aidan... have a great time in Galway, I'm sure you will. Please post me whatever footage you have of FirePoise stuff - I think it's only the Dublin fire show... that way, i can give it to my DVD guy and website guy and get things rolling.

I'll make sure the pics are saved onto a cd for our next meeting - unless you need them sooner?

Also, can anyone tell me how to compress video footage?
A girl called Ruth got excellent footage of the entire show for her student project, but doesn't know how to compress it to send on to me. She's in Dublin... if anyone can help with this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Also (again smile ), I've a special favour to ask.

As you know, Rob, our website designer, did all the site for me for free.
In return, I'm writing some travel stories for his World Traveller website (we agreed on Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia).

Rob did a great job, and is still doing lots of hard work, so I was hoping that maybe some of you might be interested in helping out too.

It's a tourism website, about 500-600 words on a country of your choice. Reasons to visit, why it's special, etc. It should also have a checklist of about 10 'must see' sites. Feel free to include things you find relevant re: tourism in that country - maybe slightly alternative advice (but it's a professional website too).

You'll get a byline on the site (which, I suppose, is good if you're looking to a career in writing biggrin).

(And if anyone feels passionate about the countries I'm writing about... let me know... I've got plenty enough to do as it is biggrin biggrin)

Gaso... have a marvellous time meeting our lovely Dub spinners...

And Cameron... see you soon darlin - hope your groupies are camped outside the house biggrin

Love and hugs hug
Clare

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ubblol

maybe you should read my post again smile

i'd love to be able to burn the footage and send it on but i cant burn anything because i dont have a computer... frown sorry guys, i'll do my best to get it to you asap. can i upload it to your webspace?

i'll try in galway, but i dunno if we'll even get the chance for that sort of technological jiggery pokery.

can you email the photos? no rush really, im just excited about having lovely photos of eveyone smile

and yep, i have a fair idea how to compress stuff. well, at least i have a copy of adobe premier 6 and a manual wink i've never tried but i'd love to help out with the geeky stuff. though if your in a rush. strugz is a veritable video guru?

Next weekend is a bit soon for us too. maybe mid april or something? give the weather a chance and a bit of time for organisation? and have a massive uber gathering just like the good old days!

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep I did read it, I just thought you'd taken one copy in Dublin.

Don't really have time to mail the pics, will save them onto a cd for the next time i see you...

Strugz is a video god... but he's very busy at the moment too with Play and suchlike...

If you can help out Aidan, I can PM you the girl's number - it would be great to have one less thing to do.

Danke
hug

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i wish, if i did i would have sent it to you ages ago...we talked about it on msn last week?

i have the girls number so i'll give her a bell smile

thanks for the photos smile

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Oh, sorrys.

Have a zillion things running round my head...

I'll give her a ring now, and let her know you're going to call (k, she says that's fine to call, but she could be in college, so if you miss her... keep trying. Also, she's working on a mac, don't know if that affects anything shrug smile).

thanks for that... let me know how you get on.
EDITED_BY: FurryPurple (1143644153)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Ooopsy

I appear not to have her number anymore.

Or maybe i do and i cant remember her name peace

er,can you send me both redface

Love is the law.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Helloooossssss.....

A spinny gathering sounds fantastic, Birr, Bangor, whatever...as long as the company's good hug it'll be great.

If i ever have time.

Following the discussion about DVD's and photos and stuff - can i possibly get copies of any footage, pics, anything that people took over the website, partly for EJC publicity reasons, and partly to show DIT where their money goes, and how worthwhile it all is...

Miss you all, will rejoin normal (relatively) social circles in August (post-EJC). In the meantime i'll crawl back under my rock

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Will do, as soon as i can get you what i have, tis all yours smile

Yay for spining gatherings...

Can we go camping? Please please please biggrin

Love is the law.

gasolineSILVER Member
54 posts

Posted:
I'll be in Dublin tomorrow, and have a look around Grafton Street!

I actually met a Simon in Bray but he was only talking about soccer, and not about diabolo... but i'm sure there's more than one Simon in this area! umm

lol

wave Lucie.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hmmm...yes Ado, that could be just what the witch-doctor ordered. The dates put May first on a bank holiday monday, which leaves us in a great position for living as life's celeebriates for the weekend.
sunny

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
*hopes that smelly firetwirlin' hippies don't get their shite together to go camping til 11th april* wink

I like camping

grouphug

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol... you know us so well...

hug

But that's only a couple of weekends away biggrin

160 posts

Posted:
Claire dear, I know Ruth, Shes REALLY sick at the moment, getting fluid drained from her throat !?? Randomly Horrible frown But as soon as shes better and makes contact again, ill let you know and give her your details if thats Ok wid You ? ? ? Also Sending you A PM !!! GasoLIne, See you in town hopefully soon !

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey Cameron...

Tis all good darlin... I spoke to her yesterday... she was in hospital for a while, but she's all better now smile

And all is fine with the PM... it looks like it will be a busy weekend biggrin

Take care x

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
yo...

talked a bit with the lady ruth yesterday. (fluid!! throat!!! arghhhh!!!) she has about 30 gig of footage and its on one of the computers in college... Its in raw format and i reckon thats the way you want it Clare. If she compress's it and sends it to you.. then you cut it and compress it again... your gonna end up with a very low quality vid... also, she's on a mac and using final cut lite... which i know even less about than adobe premier... if i was you i would aim for getting the raw footage.... only a small part of that 30gigs is from the fire night. and its not all in one file. so ruths gonna check and see what she can trim of and wht size its going to be. a dvd is about 4 gigs?

do you know anyone with a portable hard drive? Is it worth borrowing one and just drivcing to dublin to copy it? i have one but it is full as beans with mp3's and i have nowhere of offload it right now... if i can find someone with 30 gig of space i can post it to her and then post it to you. though there must be a more less complicated solution.

so are we all agreed then. camping before the 11th wink

or.... just for mr flop hug how about the weekend of the 14th of april?

Love is the law.

nordemember
39 posts

Posted:
hey Claire....

video compression - can i suggest mp4 to you, this is the format ipods, PSPs and the new fangled portable players use, makes them a nice size to download without to much image quality loss: theres a few FREE converters for these knockin about the interweb - google is your friend wink i have some stuff at home, but can't remember its name off hand

you got large files to send to each other: a great way to do this (if u have broadband) and not foul peoples email accounts is somewhere like www.yousendit.com you can host files up to 1gb in size here !!

apple macs - what do you want to know about them ?? i work on one everyday angry i can tell you there aint the same variety of software for them as there is PCs... but www.versiontracker.com is a great resource for mac software

hope this helps bye

Love me when i least deserve it... cause that is when i need it the most

Page: ......