Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
If i'm around Dublin i'm definately up for a bit of a spin next weekend...think i may be down the midlands somewhere wake-boarding though...

But i'll bear it in mind biggrin

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hmmm...

i may still be in belfast this weekend, not sure yet, but if i make it back at all i'll be in touch

L peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
This weekend should be a good Spinny one, Im only Free at Nights cause of my Ghetto Ass Job, But the nights are DEFenetley gonna be spent spinning and smoking.

Oh ANd Welcome to DUblin ROnan, If you Need a space to stay or fancy visiting north Wicklow (Bray) might fit in with the Pan Ireland Malarchy, then my Floor is yours.

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Hello hello, I'll be getting a spin down to dublin this eve, and shall be chilling out there til monday.
I think playing in a park is a lovely idea, see ye there? a nice jugglymaipulafictwirly sounds like a plan. give me a shout if there's something organised!
gonna stay at my sisters gaff but may take you up on that floor offer another time cameron hug
hopefully see ye all this weekend
ronan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lisa and I will be joining in this St Stephens Green spinning m'larkey on Saturday - see you there biggrin

Tir_na_nOgjourneyman
55 posts

Posted:
Deadly!!! If anyone sees this try and organise some sort of time so we can get some sort of group together!!
Juggler Power!! juggle

ggMember
5 posts

Posted:
Hey Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone saw the Enferno show in Cork? I think CCC(cork community circus) had a hand in it. my fiends say it was great but unfortunately I couldn't go. Was sick. Awww.
As you may have guessed I'm from Cork, and I'm still a complete poi novice. So in any ones around Cork and would like to give me a hand it would be great. Trying to learn online is so hard.

zarkiaBRONZE Member
98 posts

Posted:
oh, cool. i'd love to meet up at some stage. i'm in cork.
inferno was brilliant. they burned lots of stuff - though it wasn't a performance as such.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hello gg & welcome

yeah, the cork community circus & some firey folk from the netherlands put on the inferno show i believe. you should take your ass down to the circus for practise, loads of lovely folk there who can help you out. i'm not sure of the address but i'm sure ado-p will be along soon to help you out smile

*aaydooooooooo.....*

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
Just wondering if any dublin types wanted to do a really smalll "wee" visit to Cork, perhaps for an overnight stay ? i have one or two spare days im looking to fill, So any body up for doing anything a bit out of the norm the monday before Tralee ? Its the 31, if any one knows of anything, or wants to orginise something give us a shout, as im itching for something to do!!

i keep on missing all the good stuff !!! like the majority of Ronans Dublin Visit, alll of Tainteds and Barley got a hug from Clare she was gone so quick... being a student and working, and still being poor at the end of the day Sucks... : (

Any one going to the vaults tonight for some Psytrance ???

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
did you get my text about the vaults tonight cam? fernando(visuals from tbmc) is looking for performers in the vaults tonight.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yah!!

Dr F! Hellos, good to see you hug hug2

And Cameron... you got a good hug though smile

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
thanks chicken , good to be back talking to you firey freaks again hug. sory i mised you while you were down here last time. hope to see you in tralee. and if not theres always the prospect of a belfast juggling convention.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, sometime!!

Can't make Tralee unfortunately, but I will be in touch very soon mister...

Take care of yourself... hug

Clare x

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hi-hi dr.f,
nice to see you back about the hop,
Cameron, i think what you have started there may be a pre convention build up! What do you think ronan? umm

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
bounceOh my! Convention time again? How splendid!!! bounce

I do believe it'll be utter fantastic....kinda like most conventions come to think of it....
actually its getting kinda boring, you know, all this having fun and learning new stuff....how about we have a [censored] convention this time for a change smile I hate evolving....
Ohhh only two weeks til our next evolution session ubbrollsmile

Well Cameronface, if you down in the western side of cork, call in for a visit. You can crash at my place near clon if you need a place to stay?

So who's coming to dublin to kidnap rob on Thursday? (with a bit of luck he doesn't know about this thread and we can scheme in peace)

Right so shall be seeing ye all soon
grouphug
Ronan

ps ado-face and amelieleieieeilleielie where are ye two these days? Coming to conventionland?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
me-he-he-heeeeee,
mmm yes quite...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
grouphug

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Heya! This is an emergency of sorts - I'm taking my boyfriend to a surprise holiday in Dublin from the 4th to the 7th (see [Old link] for background wink ), and need a place to crash.

Didn't know everyone would be at the juggling convention frown

So, if any of you aren't, please help me out! I can bribe you with Scotch or German christmas sweets.......

Alternatively, if someone's going to Tralee on Saturday, doesn't mind taking two more people and has a vague idea of a possibility to sleep there (ubblol quite unlikely, I know), that would be übercool.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Sorry Birgit hug , would love to help out - but will be at the convention, along with everyone else...good luck though, i'm sure one of the kind souls here will oblige smile

Hope you have a great time!

Helen_of_Poi

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Well, why on earth do you want to stay in dublin?! smile
Come to juggleconventionland!

bounce

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I would if I could... don't know exactly how to organise it frown

Am quite stressed out at the minute, have no idea how to get to Tralee or where to get a room there (or where it even is at that), will arrive in the middle of the night without anywhere to stay (yet) frown

One option would be to rent a car and get a room in Tralee, but that would easily be nearly 200 Euros not even including convention tickets, and I'm afraid I just can't afford that at the moment. If anyone could give me the details of places there that still have room, and if we could get a lift there it might work.

Sorry about being so miserable, it's been a very crap day and it's only just started...

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
well heres a little pick-up birgit,
wink
you can crash on the floor of the Galway university crew's floor at tralee,
as long as you come good with those aforementioned bribes that is,
i'll let them know that the world is a beautiful place and that if we can brighten it up for someone else by small, even unauthorised, acts of kindness , then we shoiuld definitely do that and hence, that you guys will be joining us!! lolsign
the bus station is realeasy to find in dublin and so getting to tralee shouldn't be so much of a problem, but you could always ask con if there would be a direct local bus you could take...his number is on the yahoo group:"Emerald Circus"
Bon chance avec l'advance mon amie,
e... welcome

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
oh-yeah,
hi all, who fancies a juggle this thursday friday in dublin...i mean today or tommorrow that is smile

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Thanks a lot, Flip biggrin This sounds (almost) like a plan! Will get the alcohol and sweeties ready ubblol

Given that I'm the foreign secretary of the Edinburgh juggling lot, you can put it down to "improving international relations" smile

We arrive at 23.20, so there won't be any buses that day... will see if there's a possibility of renting a car. The places close at 23.30 apparently, so probably not :| Will phone them up and see if they can have someone waiting for us! If not, does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap hostel that's easy to get to from the airport? That way we could pick up the car first thing on Sat. morning, buy some food and head off to juggle biggrin

Are you staying there till Monday morning, or would we have to leave on the Sunday?
EDITED_BY: Birgit (1130420710)

(G.W. Dahlquist)

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ok who is responsible for the EJC being in Cork! We will never here the end of it now Æ=
Sorry my punctuation ainøt working on this key board for some reason... must be the heat!!!

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
is anyone gonna be around dublin tomorrow? i still havnt met any other spinners, if you are gonna be around and want to meet up for a while just let me know

milkajourneyman
89 posts

Posted:
I'm flying to Ireland tomorrow and this week end I'll be... in Dundalk :/

Too bad, but this week end my graduation ceremony takes place and I cannot miss that. Hope I'll see you before next EJC !

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Written by: DeepSoulSheep

Ok who is responsible for the EJC being in Cork! We will never here the end of it now Æ=
Sorry my punctuation ainøt working on this key board for some reason... must be the heat!!!

The reason the EJC is in Cork is quite simple:

Millstreet has the biggest hall in Ireland smile

Plus the Guinness in the local pub costs €3.35

Nuff said

Helen_of_Poi

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
But... getting there from Edinburgh is bloody expensive (flights are currently 585 pounds... methinks I'll have to get there another way)

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Page: ......