Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

I'm sorry Dr F, please forgive me biggrin biggrin biggrin

hug

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Lisa - apologies but i've gone and arranged to go to the Bristol Convention on the weekend of the 24th so i can't be in Tara at the same time... ooooops

Hope the burn is going well for you, i will DEFINATELY see you in Dublin before you leave in a more long term way.

Hi Birgit wave Looking forward to seeing you again!

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hi Helen smile
Can't wait to get over to Dublin again! Sunbird has finally stopped asking me where we're going in Nov, so now all that can happen is me being stupid and telling ubblol
Where's Lisa going???

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

...oh Master of the Sacred Spoon (looking forward to the story behind THAT one!!),

all will be revealed in due time brigit!!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello Birgit, it'll be great to see you again, hopefully we'll be around!!

Lisa is heading off on a grand adventure around the world... which will, no doubt, see her disappearing into some monastery in the foothills of the Himalayas, only to come back out again in 10 years having invented some kind of hybrid poi/staff Tai Chi type thing biggrin

Hope everyone is well... see you all on the 24th (hopefully biggrin)

(And Lisa, I hope Burning Man was splendid and amazing. I've been thinking about you guys all week... it looked like it was rather hot over there!!! See you soon lady)

761 posts

Posted:
Ado , will you be up in dublin this weekend for the music centre gig? if so i dont know if i'll be able to get any free entry for you. if you are around dublin the weekend tho, were having a house party(that offer extends to all others in dublin this weekend) for 2 of our flatmates that are leaving (Esteban & Nerea, for anyone that knows them) the more the merrier, let me know what the story is, see y'all 'round at some stage.

love & hugs
Baz
P.s. only 4 more posts to go in this thread until it reaches the 1000 landmark... should we get a cake or something like that.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
One...

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Two...

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Three.......

so whos gonna be lucky poster one thousand!?
smile
sorry I got impatient

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
I would like to take the opportunity of the 1000th post to thank the faeries who left a little something under my pillow a while ago - you know who you are...

Sorry Ronan, but i had to steal your thunder...

Incidentally, i met a new spinner over the weekend, called Slippy, or sometimes Colm, who i have instructed to go to Tara on the 24th. He's bringing a couple of drummers too i think.
I trust you will all make him feel welcome as always..?

Helen_of_Poi

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Anyone seen my thunder? I know I left it lying around here somewhere... biggrin

Anyone know if Colm from Cork (or anyone else from this direction) is heading to Tara? I'm trying to bum a lift smile, for two please (Yay my girlfriend is coming for visits! bounce)
I'm off to Basque country tomorrow morning, big basquey festival or somethingh on the 9th so should be in for some days of debauchery...or so i've been told.
Hope that all ye twirly folk are in flying form.
see ye soon
Ronan

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
It's ok Ronan, you can have your thunder back now. Couldn't have you going to Tara without it - wouldn't be the same.

Enjoy the Basque country smile

Helen_of_Poi

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: doctor_fandango

Ado , will you be up in dublin this weekend for the music centre gig? ....

no worries, we're heading to galway on saturday and then up to belfast for a gig on monday morning. your goin to tara though right? sincerly hope i have some new sticks made by then. i dont think i ever met your flat mates but give em a goodbye smooch for me anyway wink

squishy hugs for helen smile

colm is indeed coming, and hopefully we'll be bumming a lift too. ROAD TRIP, stefan and kaia will probably come too, ummm how big do you think colms car is after growning ubblol though if we're in limerick that weekend we're likely to train it.

ps, is my tool box and my drill still at yours? going on a building mission soon so gonna need them.

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
umm

You're coming to Belfast?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
yup, have a gig on tuesday. dont know if we're driving or getting the train yet. The producer is forking out for our expenses so he might drive. we'll be stayin monday and tuesday night and then straight to cork wednesday morning. not sure how much spare time we're gonna have though. what night does the circus have the adult class on?

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Never worry, things are a bit hectic here too biggrin

Adult class is Wednesday night.

Do you know where you are filming?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
absolutley no idea *shrug* up until last week there was an equal chance it could have been in dublin...

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ah cool... well, have fun, hope it goes well smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
one way or the other its going to be hilarious. smile

Love is the law.

MrMannewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Clonakilty Juggling convention. 28th-30th. september juggle
Fire Night, Renegade, Games ,(maybe public show), camping, venue for renegade with small stage bar and great sounds. Will also be a juggling hall.
Will start on a friday with the fire, sat with renegade and workshops and sunday will be for games (lots of nice prizes)

I gave a more interesting post on emerald isle, and ive been writing for ages so this post isnt quite as spectacular as it could be. juggle juggle

Erm, organisers are me(Darragh), Ronan and Eibhin.
You can contact me on 086 1287333 or mrfishfinger@hotmail.com.

Keep on spinning,
Darragh

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks for letting us know biggrin

Not sure if Diana and I can make it... but we'll be in touch biggrin

hug

761 posts

Posted:
heya daragh, wont be able to make it that weekend i dont fink frown but will see you around.. and i think the dates your talking about are actually the 30th(fri) - 02nd(sun).

Ado , many hugs and slopy inapropriate kisses were dished out all over the flat, mixed in with a healthy dose of tears :'(... ... but evry end is a new beginning.

see you in tara kiddies

The Pixienewbie
20 posts

Posted:
Hello there! nana

Im a newbie, well about a week old. I just want to introduce myself to yee Irish and get to know yiz all. Not spinnin long, havnt touched fire yet, but im addicted to poi poi'n it already. Love it! Poppin into Trinity tomorro with my little hippie mate Clara, so I'll hope to see some friendly pixies.

Peace up peace juggle beerchug hug weavesmiley grouphug lolsign

FEEEEEBS MAIL

Away with the fairies....

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hi guys,
big hugs to ye all, i've been kinda outa touch for a while but wahey! what be this shindiggery in tara? sounds lovely , surely won't be missing that smile welcome back aidan amelie and other wayfaring wanderers, and congratulations to you too on your new performance buzz! i don't fancy the immanent depression that pends around the dole office, and when i think of getting a "real" job all i hear are the Smiths, so any pointers in the way of the right direction would be welcomed with open arms wave
oh and i got a phone... tis 087-6159449 if anyone has any ideas for the 1st annual clonakilty juggling convention down in the land of the new-age... the 1st fair-trade town in ireland itself, so far there's needed two people with driving liscences to fill a little space doin a trip each to the campsite which i think is 2kms outside clon. so far stephen (a.k.a. Pappa Smurf) has said he'll help with this so: nice one stephen) and thanks to everyone who is pitching in any way...even coming biggrin
Lots of cool workshops guys...this one will be a mid-expander...so iguess we should all start stretching
wink

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hi pixie welcome

The Pixienewbie
20 posts

Posted:
Hey peeps frown

Im really sad at the moment, my buddy has let me down and unfortunately Im not meeting anyone at the pav. Im after spendin ages tryna contact her to find out she's busy so even if I was goin in on my own i'd be late. None of yiz wil get this til after ur session anyways so sorry if anyone waited one me. Eh, peace up and I'll see yiz soon. Headin out back to swing some angry poi mad2

FEEEEEBS MAIL

Away with the fairies....

MrMannewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Update on Clonakilty convention!

the convention shall go as follows (the plan so far)
Friday (30th sept)- bit of a juggle in the sports hall and a nice old fire night in the local square.
Saturday(1st) workshops (diablo, poi, staff, 3,4,5 showers more if anyone else will do anything), public show, renegade.
Sunday(2nd) will be games day, and you all know what that means....

Boggle will be hosting a juggling equipment stall, there will also be a spectacular food stall and maybe even a nice little jewlery stall.

I might even be able to get a person in to do a workshop on the alexander technique (i hope, also depends on funding)

Camping will be available, maybe even in the town itself rather than outside the town, but ill keep us updated on that.

I should be getting wristbands or some pass togeather costing between 10-15 euro, includes everything from camping to public show to renting out this that and the ugly.

If anyone has any ideas please keep me notified. (086 1287333, mrfishfinger@hotmail.com)

Keep on defying gravity
Darragh

761 posts

Posted:
PIXIE,
theres no need for angry spinning, myou'll only end up hurting your grumpy self then getting more angry & frustrated.i bet now yer covered in bruises?
dont wory though, its getting a little too dark too early to be meeting in triners. plus we were kicked off the grounds by security at 9:00 for making too much noise. does anyone out there know if theres still a gathering in stephen's green on sundays ?

the jug-socs will be starting back soon in their various locations
1) trinity in the goldsmith hall (westland row)
2) DIT in larkin college(cathal bruagh street) and possibly kevin's street
3) UCD in some hall out in UCD, you need to chat to someone that actually goes to these things to get more detailed info on locations.

see y'all round
peace
Dr.F

761 posts

Posted:
*FROM EMERALDCIRCUS MAILING GROUP*

I've just had a phone call from the Facilities Officer in Trinity - the long and
the short of it being that if we don't want to jepordise our Goldsmith Hall
place and being able to have fire shows on Trinity grounds, there'll be no more
juggling at the Pav (it always was on a strictly unofficial basis).
Please pass along the message to others (I'll be held responsible for any
unauthorised juggling and would appreciate not having to field any more phone
calls) as security will now be likely to kick people who aren't trinity
students off the grounds.
As you are aware, the security guards have been pretty sound about it over the
summer, but there have been a few complaints over the last few weeks from
people working / writing up PhDs' in the Moyne Institute (the semi-circular
building).

thanks,
Dee

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
What a shame about the Pav frown

Still, at least we had a fun summer of playing there, and the university halls are back soon. I'll try and spread the word Barry, don't want you getting into trouble!

hug

Helen_of_Poi

Page: ......