Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

mosey101SILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
Hey

Just wanted to ask if anyone has a djembe or a drum of any sort could they bring it to the show tonight. The few drummers that i know are doing a charity gig and are subsequently unavailable...the other drummer that i know is in Romania...of all places...

Also Doc, you are correct about the fire show location. Ideally it was giong to be in meeting house squaer but due to stuff and junk and people and places (And the cats and the craddle and the silver spoon) we couldn't have it there like last year.

Anyway,

See y'all later on. I have to and furisously type out a project thats due in next week...fun times

Keep on drummin/spinnin/juggling and most im

You my friend, i will defend and if we change, well i'll love you anyway

mosey101SILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
Hey

Just wanted to ask if anyone has a djembe or a drum of any sort could they bring it to the show tonight. The few drummers that i know are doing a charity gig and are subsequently unavailable...the other drummer that i know is in Romania...of all places...

Also Doc, you are correct about the fire show location. Ideally it was giong to be in meeting house squaer but due to stuff and junk and people and places (And the cats and the craddle and the silver spoon) we couldn't have it there like last year.

Anyway,

See y'all later on. I have to and furisously type out a project thats due in next week...fun times

Keep on drummin/spinnin/juggling and most importantly breathing

Ian Mosey Moss!

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
i'll bring a darbuka, its a bit crappy, and the rim isnt very hand friendly, but sure... its a drum isnt it?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
this sounds so awesome I hope I make it biggrin

Speed of Dark: As yet unmeasured, but believed to be faster than light owing to its ability to move so quickly out of light's way. -- Terry Pratchett

[total number of times I've been hit in the head with poi: 10! <--- Double Digits!!!!]

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
Well....That Fire Show kicked sooooo much ass ^_^ I loved it so much!! Sadly I didn't get to stay til the end, but that was awesome! Well done anyone who preformed!

Oh and what was the charity you were collecting for again??

Speed of Dark: As yet unmeasured, but believed to be faster than light owing to its ability to move so quickly out of light's way. -- Terry Pratchett

[total number of times I've been hit in the head with poi: 10! <--- Double Digits!!!!]

mosey101SILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
Such a good convention and renegade and fire show and everything!!!

Well done to the organisers....

Right now....TO THE EJC!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
(via Play biggrin)

mosey101SILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
Play?...oh wait do i know that....no i don't...inform me ...please??? winkjavascript:void(0)
wink

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mosey101

Play?...oh wait do i know that....no i don't...inform me ...please??? winkjavascript:void(0)
wink

If you cast your eye down the Events, Performances and Gatherings forum, you would find [Old link]

And don't forget [Old link] in June...

weavesmiley

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

jugglegutnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
the charity was Enable Ireland. I'm counting the mooney now....(2 hours later)... we have €162.46. its not great but its better than nothin!

Thanks to all for comin, hope u had a great time!

also can i ask people with pictures of the convention to somehow find a way to get me some copies, cus i need them for the Club's report thingy, and i didnt take that many unfortunately too busy looking after you lot!

Thanks

This is stolen but worth it:
nothin is better than eternal happiness, right? and a ham sandwich is better than nothing, right?...so a ham sandwich IS bettr than eternal happines

jessfaerieSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
Hallo my names jess and I will be arriving in Dublin early July ( planes booked for the 5th but theres up to a weeks flexibility with those times) and will be backpacking round the island till mid September, hopefully heading over to england as well smile

My speciality is staff and i would love love love to fit in some twirling whilst I'm over there and meet some of you lovely lot. Unfortunately i wont be able to bring my staff on the plane and im sort of devising a staff that can be pulled in two with detachable wicks and what not but thats still an unformed concept in my head. but in all reality becasue ill be backpacking i really dont want to cart around a black stinky staff everywhere with me...basically im just sussing out the possibility of been lent a staff just for a meet or whatever. Id happily pitch in for fuel and whatnot and im not going to run away with it! smile annyway, just sussing that one out early lol.

if anyones interested in meeting up whilst im over there or has a spare staff they could possibly lend for a night then drop me a pm and things can be arranged smile

cheers

jess xox

"...life is like John Howard- too short to waste time worrying..."

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
You could borrow mine if you don't mind it being a bit . . . unusual. Wood, fire on one end and the balance is off center. So I can hold it by the centre of gravity and the unlit end for a few specific moves.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

jessfaerieSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
haha fair enough. sounds interesting! yar id have a go smile

quick question, why is it wood?

eeeep only 3 1/2 months till i go!

"...life is like John Howard- too short to waste time worrying..."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
wave wave wave

Hello hello m'lovelies...

Well, a couple of years ago a few lonely spinners in different corners of ireland thought it was about time to meet up... so they did, thanks to HoP.

And now, two and a half years and 2174 posts later... and after a lot of conventions, gatherings, meetings, gigs, pings, pongs, parrafin and wicked memories... we've got a beautiful Irish spinning community full of lovely people biggrin

Anyways (getting to the point, via the usual amount of sentamentality)... after a bit of discussion in Clonmel at the weekend, this thread is getting much too long... it's time for a new one smile

I'll repost all the juggling club info in the first post... but please PM me with any changes or alterations.

Thanks!

Get ready for the all-new, all-Ireland fire dancing thread... smile
EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1174480077)

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
*bounce* *bounce* *bounce* (tumbleweed)

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

wyld_phyreSILVER Member
14 posts

Posted:
is this thread dead?

Not like its any of your beeswax!

TheDeeSILVER Member
47 posts

Posted:
yes: new discussions are at The Irish dancing thread (v2.0)

Dee

gyrospectdave1SILVER Member
119 posts

Posted:
there was talk of a new thread being put into action, but nobody said where the new thread was or where it was, i havnt seen it yet anyway...

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
you mean this one?

[Old link]

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

rolleyes

smile

brian_BCB_kavanaghnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
hay guys im based in dublin
got my first set of fire poil ast august and got a set of fire devil sticks of my now ex at christmas
any way my point is i would love to meet any one i can and hope fully pick up a new trick or 2
so is any one free next week and willing to meet yet another randomer

if you ever have the time and you want to go drink some wine I'd rather greet you with a smile than greet you with a frown...

PhoenixOnAStickBRONZE Member
I Live With A Fiery Passion
27 posts

Posted:
Howdy y'all mass update(as opposed to a mass debate.. confused2) to let ya know i'm still alive and kicking ass.

keep that one beat pumping all night!

much love

The J double O

p.s. when did they start censoring hHOP?
EDITED_BY: PhoenixOnAStick (1179119443)

New years resolution; Lay-off the "yo mama" jokes

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Happy Birthday Clare biggrin

I know it's not til tomorrow but it's already your birthday in new zealand so you can start celebrating now hug

L peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol... thanks...

biggrin

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
woot!! happy birthday you!!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thank you... This is entirely the wrong thread you know biggrin

(not wishing to appear ungrateful, or anything hug ubblol)

xxx

divinedanceBRONZE Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
hi my name is hannah i have a few ppl who want to learn fire performance including myself my email is hannahcopperthwaite@homail.com could you mail me and let me no if you would be willing to teach us thank you for your time

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hi Hannah,

I tried to email you, but the address rejected my email.

Please check your PMs, I've sent you my email address, and you can contact me through that smile

Best wishes
Clare

Laura_OHareSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone smile

My name's Laura and I live about 40 miles outside of Belfast. I'm just starting out with Poi. I took 2 workshops with Clare a few months back and have since bought my own sock Poi from the site and have become hooked!

Now that i'm driving, i'm hoping to get up to Clare's classes when they start up again if I can-it's just not the same trying to teach yourself from Youtube videos!

lrohare527@hotmail.co.uk

smile
EDITED_BY: Laura_OHare (1249475661)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hurrah smile

I'll add you to the mailing list... hope to see you again soon smile

Clare x

Page: ...