Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Birgit - if you get a cheap flight to Dublin from either Edinburgh or Glasgow, currently you can get a return bus to Cork (via Millstreet i think, have to double check) for €12.

Remember, Ireland is very small - you can get to Millstreet from Dublin, Cork, Shannon or Kerry airports very easily smile

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I know... I was just checking the Ed airport website to see if there actually were direct flights, and found it quite amusing that they want nearly 1000 Euros for a one hour flight smile

Won't book yet though, I think it might be worth organising a groups thingy from here, what with all the jugglers and Pooks and hippies and other spinners biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
I'd say it's just too early to book flights - Ryanair don't even release their schedules, never mind their special offers this far in advance. You should be able to get a very reasonable flight nearer the time. Plus we will try to arrange sponsorship/discounts/something, but i have no details on that yet.

See you in Tralee?

Helen_of_Poi

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Yep smile

Trying to get in contact with Flip - he said we could stay with his lot, so I assume we'll have to bring sleeping bags etc. I just don't know where they stay or how we'll find them. We'll arrive Saturday, hopefully around lunchtime, so I guess we'll just ask our way through smile

The only thing I'd need to know is if we have to leave on Sunday night and find somewhere else to stay, or if everyone's staying till Monday.

Can't wait bounce

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Don't worry, i'm sure Flip will look after you smile

See you there!

Helen_of_Poi

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hey birgit

Send me on an email at adophire at g mail dot com and i'll email you back his number (this is an uber flyby post)

Im not sure, but i'd guess everyone is leaving on sunday. Though if you wanted to stay another night i reckon you could get a hostel easy after all the jugglers, geeks and hippies clear out. smile

If you fancy extending your tour a little bit your more than welcome to stay with myself and amelie in limerick on sunday night. smile

either way

see you soon!!!

hug!

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
'I'm flying to Ireland tomorrow and this week end I'll be... in Dundalk'

Milka... have a good time in Ireland, but don't spend too much time in Dundalk!!

We were there last weekend (at the Imperial Hotel) spinning fire... it was not much fun frown

Lots of scary aggressive people... eek

But there's lots of lovely warm friendly people in Dublin and Belfast and Cork and Limerick... so hopefully see you somewhere!

Take care

Clare x

PS: have a splendid time in Tralee Birgit... and the rest of you - sorry I can't be there, am totally gutted ubbcrying

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
Birgit - did you get my PM? You can crash at mine tomorrow night if you still need a place.

I can't go to tralee cause I have to work (yawn).

I hope you're all keeping well and have a fandoobeydastic time in Tralee.

All the best,

Darrell

Remember what the doormouse said

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I replied to the pm frown bad hop for losing pms!!! just in case, my email is birgit(dot)gaiser at ed(dot)ac(dot)uk

Right, we'd love to stay with you, would need address and phone number so we don't get lost in Dublin. Car is organised so we can drive to yours smile

What else... oh yes, getting up early is no problem cause we want to be in Tralee as soon as we can! And if you want me to bring you something from Edinburgh for being my hop-o-tel for the second time please let me know, I'm really happy you're letting us stay!!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
AWWW were losing darrell and claire!! it wont be the same without yous lads. will faberge be going or will she be up north to be with her lavvah-man?
me and LN will bring a camera for to get a few pix and show ye all the madness through the beauty of photography.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:

I think lisa said she couldnt come also frown

I miss the days when everyone was together and there was a bizillion of us.

Most excited to see you again good doctor, its been way, way to long. hug

Everyone do a dance for some good weather tomorow. Then we can all go burn our bums off smile *crosses head, fingers, knees and toes*

Love is the law.

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
I've gone a fecked up my back so may not make it to tralee frown
Shall see how it is tomorrow
Have a great weekend if I don't see ye there

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

761 posts

Posted:
frown we'll be missin ya ronan.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Oi, Ronan! I'm coming all the way from Edinburgh, so you'd better be there smile hug

Hope you're feeling better tomorrow!!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Darrell, sorry for confusion! I just got an email back saying my answer to you couldn't be delivered, so I've texted it to your phone and will put it on here as well!

The plane arrives at 11.20 pm, so will try and hurry up. I've printed out lots of maps and should be able to find your place - it's near Gardiner St, yes?

Thanks a lot for letting us stay smile We'll come as close to your place as possible, I don't think my mobile's going to work cause it didn't last time, but we'll find a public phone somewhere! See you tonight!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
Yep - we're just off Gardiner st. I got your text but couldn't reply.

See you later!!

Remember what the doormouse said

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
hope everyone has a great time at the convention (i cant believe im missing it) Birgit i think its prob to late but my bed at the hostels going free cos im not able to make it (damn those gigs) but 2 guys from belfast are heading down and they are so sound....
Happy spinning guys wink

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
ahhh... so sorry i can't be there frown miss you guys lots. ado's right, i miss the days when we were all together for massive spinnage frown

on a lighter note though, i'm moving to belfast within the next week. myself & Firepoise are renting a lovely big house in Bangor. high ceilings & lots of space so you lot are gonna have to come & stay

biggrin devil biggrin

hope you're all having a wonderful time in tralee juggle juggle

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
But you can only visit if you don't smell ubblol

And you have to bring offerings of chocolate biggrin biggrin

761 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

But you can only visit if you don't smell ubblol

ah well... see yous sometime in dublin then wink

ps! if anyone found a set of poi outside mcdades(the fire spinning space) pleawse let me know, cos helene is missing hers. thanks a mill , see y'all around!

ps any of you spinners who missed the weekend, ye didnt miss much :struggles to keep straight face: IT WAS BRILLIANT WOOOOOOOOO

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
rolleyes

Glad you had fun

biggrin

See you up here sometime soon Dr F spank

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Thanks to everyone who helped me organising it, let me stay at their places and saved me from going mental when everything (bags etc) went wrong! Especially Darrell and Ann-Marie and Ado and Amélie biggrin

We had a great time!!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Glad you had fun...

Am gutted I missed it!

hug

Deviant_thinkingmember
36 posts

Posted:
hey people, Ken here...

long time and all that jazz, i'm living in cork now (togher for those in the know) but unfortunetly i have no staff/poi etc and wanna get moving again. any help would be greatly appreciated. my mobile's 085 7230483, i wont be able to get on the net for about two months so if u can help me at all drop me a text plz. barry & lisa, put in a word for me with these cork lads, tell them to be nice to me wink

seriously any info on mettings, where to get kit and the like would be really sweet.

thx in advance people...

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the night,
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

761 posts

Posted:
*warning*
anyone from cork do not believe this man. he is a maniac, a liar and a cheat. he will try to act all shy and innocent... its all lies!!!! LIES I TELL YOU... awww only messin ken. glad to see you back on the bords and back to the civilised world of spinning. theres many lovely spinners ion cork who wil surely take you under their respective wings.
peas out!

FireSmurfmember
31 posts

Posted:
wow, I must start reading this thread more regularly. Just have to send a lot of love to Firepoise Who is taking me in to there house this week. I promise to fire things up for u. C U sone.

Thomas Bjork
[Fire Artist]
[clown]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi guys, anyone know anyone from london? I'm heading there tonight and twould be lovely to hookup for a spin with someone:)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
You could try all these people

Coleman, Simian, Hells, and loads and loads more

heres a big long link for you

[Old link]

i'd give you some numbers but i left my phone at home. I reckon clare might have some though...

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
There's also UCOF and Simian on their boat smile

And Drew...

Have a great trip Eimhin...

hug

And Tomas... see you soon biggrin

761 posts

Posted:
written by firpoise-
"Have a great trip Eimhin"

*giggling uncontrollably* hehehehehe , trip hehehehe

Page: ......