Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. ÂŁ3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

Deviant_thinkingmember
36 posts

Posted:
hey guys!

ado, i give ya that on friday night, ive lost my passport so the bank arent impressed with me having no id =/ but im defo gonna b there!

the staff rocks btw! mr fandango it'll be great seeing you again man! is lisa coming?? its gonna rock xD

ive a spinning gig at 6 then im getting the bus up to limerick around 8 (i live in cork now for those out of the loop =P)

cant wait! gl&lv,
Ken...

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the night,
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Hey, I'm interested in this night at 'Tara', weavesmileyhow many other people are going? oh yeah I went to Trinity last night about 7.30 and no one was there, I just thought that it was a bit too chilly or something confused, it's a pity we can't meet there it's a good place. oh yeah and where is 'tara', Wexford confused?

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Ok just looked at your post again and I see that tara is in Navan redface, I drive but tend to get lost alot ubbloco, will there be somewhere safe to park my beautiful black nissan micra do you know?

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
I'm hoping to go to Tara, at least for the night of Saturday 14th. Who else is up for it?

Please go, i need another special Tara spin like last year to recharge before the EJC.

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Tara is outside Navan...

Eimhin and I will be in Kells... I might drive out there after the gig, if I'm not too shattered.

hug

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Lets be realistic here... Tara is the premier hippy event of the year wink

C'mon, last year there was an organic kitchen in the middle of a feild and a tipee smile

So we're in... all the way biggrin This year there is going to be a rainbow gathering there again.. For those of you who were there last year, the people with the tipee and the people who made the mandala are all part of the rainbow tribe. Some of you would have met some folk from the bitchen kitchen around spring last year at the psytrance party that happened outside limerick. There will also be heaps of druids and witches and jugglers. There was loads of workshops going on around the hill last year too...

I dont know whats going to be happening on the weekend as the ceromony is on the wednesday night into morning i think. But there will be plenty of people there...

Clare, i highly recomend driving after the gig... Its just what you need.... All your friends and that lovely, lovely hill... *poke*

Love is the law.

dr_evilBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
Hi guys, so in ur humble opinions would it be best to head to Tara on the Wednesday (21st)or the weekend after??

I'd be unstoppable........ if i could only get started!!! We are all in the gutter but only some of us are looking at the stars! smile

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
both wink

Aidan, did you get the mesage i sent you about LN coming with me for Lmierick convention??

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
its only 4 days till I fly out of Aus!!! Weeeeee!
See you all really soon!

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

761 posts

Posted:
*EEEP* see you real soon eveish... let me know when youre in dublin, if its a tuesday or sunday there'll be fun juggling sessions in some of our lovely parks here

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hey Barry, yep, happy to hear it :-)

Love is the law.

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

in other news, trinity Juggling was brought to an indefinate end yesterday evening by the security and several members of Trinity (non jugglers i might add) complaining about insurance issues for non Trinity members. However, the ever resourseful jugglers still had fun in merrion square. details of where in merrion square will be posted here shortly, watch this space

Oh filberts,
went up to trinity yesterday and saw only a few jugglers out by the cricket pitch, I thought it was a slow day due to everyone watching the Brazil match!

Gah! * note to self: jugglers do not change their habits so easily, if in doubt, call someone on the phone*

Any news on whats happening in the future?

PhoenixOnAStickBRONZE Member
I Live With A Fiery Passion
27 posts

Posted:
i was talking bout the sunday meeting supposedly at the bandstand. i went down on sunday and met emmet and olive and one or 2 others that were juggling etc but everyone was scattered all over the park. like there were little clumps of people here and there....
Whats this BS about insurance? why have the tuesdays been "brought to an indefinite end"? and are they going to be moved or whats the story?
and i apologise for my ignorance but my knowledge of geography is while accurate to the minutest detail within auckland it is merely minute outside, so where is Navan and Tara and how do i get there from... oh let's say the brewery hostel in thomas st, dublin 8?

New years resolution; Lay-off the "yo mama" jokes

761 posts

Posted:
merrion square, same time.
enter the park from 'merrion square west' turn right , down the path, teke a left at the big paved area, then right.. then the first field on the right.. or just watch out for the jugglers

gasolineSILVER Member
54 posts

Posted:
 Written by: dr_evil

Hi guys, so in ur humble opinions would it be best to head to Tara on the Wednesday (21st)or the weekend after??

good question!
does anyone have an answer?
i might come one night. weavesmiley

Gimme fuel, Gimme fire, Gimme that which i desire!

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Hiya all.
My travel plans have now been finallised. After a couple of festivals in england, I will be arriving in Belfast on the 6th July. heading down with some wonderful randoms to the EJC and then I have free time in Ireland until the 27th July. Any other events that are happening around that time, I would love to know about!Also, I am hoping to visit some of you along my travels, so anyone with a couch or floor, Pm me! I will definately be spending some time in Galway, Dublin and Belfast.. its pretty open though smile I can't wait to trade tricks with you all - anyone want to learn some double staff of hula hoops? they are what I can teach best biggrin

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Oops... wrong thread - shoulda been in the EJC one rolleyes
EDITED_BY: FurryPurple (1150460796)

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
 Written by: doctor_fandango

nah i was never in tala comunity school. theres a spiner in belfast from coolock..Lisa Dunne, and her brother is Barry.. what can i say its a popular name.

spank i'm not from coolock! unless as you say, it's such a popular name that there's another one of me wandering around belfast....

rolleyes

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
and sadly i doubt if i'll make it to tara this year....

but hope you guys have fun ubbrollsmile

peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

761 posts

Posted:
clondalkin?

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
So that's four Barry Dunnes already, anyone else know a Barry Dunne?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hi all,
here's a wee message to say firstly, nice one to all involved in bringing us the LJC, twas a great buzz and I'm looking forward to the follow-up already!(all could-be losses aside) redface
also i want to mention that the Galway Juggling Convention is happening this year in tandem with the Galway Arts fest and its first fringe project '06 on the following dates, friday 28th saturday 29th and sunday 30th of july. This year the convention will be in the father griffin park right beside our house *smiles* which is a lovely spot a minute from the river which is a minute from the sea. bounce2 bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce2 bounce wave bounce2 bounce bounce juggle ubbidea angel ubbidea peace tongue
so dont miss this one o.k.
UNCLE JUGGLER WANTS YOU tongue

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
hi guys,

I'll be posting this in social chat as well but just wanted to say:

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

Guess who got engaged on saturday?

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

!!! ME AND EIMEAR !!!

There's a nice pic of us in my gallery as well.... biggrin

761 posts

Posted:
fair play to all the limerick organisers, and conventioneers... lovely convenmtion lads... 2nd limerick convention will be something to watch out for...

3 cheers for Martin & Eimear ..
*hip-hip*

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hope Limerick went well... and hopefully we'll be down there next year smile

Our workshop classes in the Crescent finished last Tuesday night... and at the fire gathering afterwards some of the workshoppers had their first burn!

It was wicked - they've done really well for only a few weeks of practice...

Anyways, someone was there with a camera... and the results are here:

Hope you like biggrin

Take care
Clare x

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Nice video claire and lisa, for all of y'all viewing it check out meast's staff video on the same site...I reccomend both biggrin

dr_evilBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
Awesome vid Claire love the music to it!!! Tres cool cool

I'd be unstoppable........ if i could only get started!!! We are all in the gutter but only some of us are looking at the stars! smile

761 posts

Posted:
good stuff clare & lisa.. nice workshooper spins too. your teaching skills show!

eimhin, is that guy coming to the ejc? it'd be great to see him in the contact staff gladiator.

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
That Galway convention looks promising, people keep telling me to go to Galway, that it's really cool, will more details be posted closer to the time? And did someone mention a 2nd Limerick convention?

761 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheDee on EJC forum...

Everyone that pre-registered [for the EJC] in Ireland that I have valid contact details for should have received an email confirmation letter. If you have registered and haven't received such an email, contact me as soon as possible - my contact details are on the https://www.eja.net/en/list.html
- email is better than by phone, as then I have a written version of contact details! The same applies if you know of anyone else who hasn't received (and should have) a confirmation letter from me - please pass on the message...

yes mariead, there will be a second limerick convention, same time next year. heres a general list of the usual conventions in ireland

(EJC, july once off as you know wink)
Galway, july
Clonakilty, august
Tralee, november
Belfast, october
Dublin, march

**disclaimer: Dr.Fandango accepts no responsability for any changes in these dates.. this is just my experience over the past few years. /disclaimer

Page: ......