Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well done m'lovelies...

Wow... how the community has grown in two years... eek

grouphug

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
wink

hug

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks...

There's a few people who only check this section,

So just to let you know... I've posted a thread about my mum in the Discussion section...

Just so you know
x

Nonkymember
44 posts

Posted:
Hello Folks ..

I am a total newbie here. I moved back to Ireland recently after living away for some time and was looking for info on local 'poi activity' and came across this forum-

I have had mine for a wee while now after being entranced by poi dancers at Glastonbury Festival a few years back- Sadly though, I am still only learning!!

This site looks pretty good though- I read at the beginning of the thread that some of you meet up for some spinning in Crescent Park-Does this still happen? As I wouldnt mind a bit of help to develop my skills (or lack of as the case may be!!)

Anyways- Just introducing myself and saying Hello smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Woohoo!!!

A newbie in Belfast!!

Hurrah!

Hello and welcome Nonky...

I'm Clare, tis good to almost meet you... wave

Please PM me your email addy, and your mobile (if you want) and I'll let you know about meets in Belfast or other things going on.

Though, most things are posted on here too.

Anyways... we hold a fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast... next one is this Tuesday night from 10pm.

Please feel free to come along and bring your fire stuff and some fuel.

Take care, and I'll see you soon!

Clare x

spudmonkeyGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
is anyone headin to that life trance thing over the weekend

PhoenixOnAStickBRONZE Member
I Live With A Fiery Passion
27 posts

Posted:
i'm gonna try but unsure as yet. depends on whether i can afford to live without a job till then or whether the job i get will allow me the time off for it....
i'm heavily hoping to tho

New years resolution; Lay-off the "yo mama" jokes

dr_evilBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
Where and what is life trance??(out of touch i know)

I'd be unstoppable........ if i could only get started!!! We are all in the gutter but only some of us are looking at the stars! smile

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
ah, Dr. Evil, a fellow practitioner, pleased to meet you *handshake*, plase tell me whats your field?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
 Written by: dr_evil

Where and what is life trance??(out of touch i know)

I'm guessing that this is what people were talking about Life Festival

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

761 posts

Posted:
KElly, Liam, LN and myself did a gig for the guy that owns that castle once, its a brilliant place.. im sure anyone going will be having a massive time.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
It looks like a sweet weekend. There is a few heads going to be doiing fire up there this weekend too.

Anybody else heading to cork to learn how to be a clown? Im heading down tonight...

:clownface:

smile

Love is the law.

Nonkymember
44 posts

Posted:
I found out about this too late to arrange it. It looks really good though, hopefully it will be back next year smile

nordemember
39 posts

Posted:
yeah... awsome lineup !

wish i'd known about this as well

*note to self....keep ones ear to the ground mad2*

Clare, plenty of those artists on that DVD i did for ya...... phone me some time and i'll get it sorted for u, texting is usless.. i always run outta credit when i need it !

think your probably away the weekend, but we'll probably be kickin about the park again on saturday avo if the sun is shinning ... take care hug

Love me when i least deserve it... cause that is when i need it the most

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I'll be drumming with our all new ensemble.
"Djembe Faso."

See you there! smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Wicked, thanks Paul... shall come down tomorrow afternoon, hopefully - get that DVD changed over.

Need some fresh air rolleyes

Have a good weekend lads...

gasolineSILVER Member
54 posts

Posted:
hi! i might come and have a little spin tomorrow, but still not sure! hope to meet you all, at last!!

ubbrollsmile

Lucie

Gimme fuel, Gimme fire, Gimme that which i desire!

mairecnonnaSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hey Ado-P
Cheers for bringing my staff all the way back from Paris much appreciated!! Can't wait to be reunited with it in Limerick

Ladies and gentleman... we are floating in space!

761 posts

Posted:
what the feck happened all you dubland spinners on sunday?? we had a lovely time by the bandstand, spinning to a brass band is just weird... but fun.

hope to see a few more faces at the pav on tuesday.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
So whos coming juggling in limerick for the weekend?

info here:

[Old link]

And whos coming to tara on the 24th and 25th of this month?

Love is the law.

761 posts

Posted:
see you in limerick dude... did you get the message i sent you about me AND helene crashing the gaff ... where is your gaff anyways

hmmmmmmm tara hill.. ...

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Hey, would love to go to Limerick but am going to Sligo for the Weekend, what's the story with 'tara' and I was wondering is it ok to drag my non spinning, non juggling boyfriend ubblove along to stuff like that.

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
he's pretty, ubblove ubblove ubblove mmmmm gotta go.

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

spudmonkeyGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
it was cool meeting all you fire heads over the weekend hope everyone had a legand time.they should change their tree climbing policy for next year though

761 posts

Posted:
sure mariead, that'd be no problem... its not like were a segregated group or anything ubblol

i hate to disapoint you all, but sadly i wont be making it out to Tara this year frown, but what happened last year was, a load of spinners get together, spin and have mega fun under the stars.

if you want to go(from dublin), get the navan bus and ask the driver to let you off at tara hill. when he/she lets you out keep walking up the road (the same direction that the bus is going)for not much more than 2 minutes, until you come across a brown tourist sign pointing left for tara hill... walk, walk, walk down the lovely road, under the trees ubblove until you come to the car park... then turn to the right and walk down the track for about5 minutes. the area most people camp in will be on your left. you might have to wander around for a bit, but it sure is a lovely wander.

in other news, trinity Juggling was brought to an indefinate end yesterday evening by the security and several members of Trinity (non jugglers i might add) complaining about insurance issues for non Trinity members. However, the ever resourseful jugglers still had fun in merrion square. details of where in merrion square will be posted here shortly, watch this space.
EDITED_BY: doctor_fandango (1150291808)

PhoenixOnAStickBRONZE Member
I Live With A Fiery Passion
27 posts

Posted:
 Written by: doctor_fandango

what the feck happened all you dubland spinners on sunday?? we had a lovely time by the bandstand, spinning to a brass band is just weird... but fun.

hope to see a few more faces at the pav on tuesday.

aye to that, i twere there and met a coupla new people but it seemed very sparce......

New years resolution; Lay-off the "yo mama" jokes

gasolineSILVER Member
54 posts

Posted:
when is the "hippies' night" at Tara? umm

Gimme fuel, Gimme fire, Gimme that which i desire!

761 posts

Posted:
weekend of the 24th i think gasoline.

phoenix.. are you talking about being at the pav and meeting new faces, or new faces in the green... if you wre talking about the pav.. thats all finished with.. see my post above.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ermm... it's not really hippy night...

It's more the solstice celebration, when the druids and other interested groups head up to Tara to sacrifice virgins (ok, I made the last bit up).

Solstice is on June 21st... with the celebrations expected to continue into the weekend... or so I've heard.

761 posts

Posted:
*retracts the term hippie, if it seems to be offending some people.*

Page: ......