Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Woohoo!

Surprisingly, I'm off work this Thursday... so I'll meet up with you... where are you thinking about going - front of the city hall might be good?! PM me you're email and we'll get something sorted - I could invite Steph and Max and Matt too, get some drummers?!!

I don't know about clubs - I'm dancing for Milk on Boxing night and New Years - but I haven't even approached anywhere else. Maybe the Menagerie or the Kremlin if you have good LED stuff?! Apparently the Menagerie have a beer garden?!!

Take care xx

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hey, hello you lot wave

so sorry i've been neglecting our little home for a while * blows dust off seat and sits down*

*hands Firepoise & tainted a glass of mead*

mmm..... yummy. sounds like you'll have fun. probably make a few bucks too with all the christmas shoppers out for late nite shopping biggrin

incidentally, there'll be firey goodness in dublin tomorrow evening too!

anyone from dublin reading this, there will be a bit of a fire get together on grafton street tomorrow evening. word is we meet at the main entrance to stephens green at 6. if any later than 6 then the group should be easily found somewhere along the top end of grafton street.

not sure if we have any drummers, a few maybe's, so any drummers or percussionists, please come along for a bit of firey fun biggrin

have fun all peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
Ooh... Fire on Thursday night...

I could probably make it after I finish work, if you're still going then. I knock off about 9.30. Clare, if you gave me a text, that would be great!

Point of personal pride here - I had my first paid salsa dance gig last week - a performance at a Christmas party for the police people of Coleraine! I'm still working on a way of integrating salsa and fire, and have started to develop the vision in my head. Now seeking one male salsero who does fire... ideally intelligent, likes travel and is good in bed... But fire and salsa will do for a start. wink

I am glad this is an international game - I learnt in school that the world spins, and now I know it's true.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ah thanks for that Lisa, tasty biggrin

Now, get back to those flags ubblol

Steph, I will try to give you a ring tonight or tomorrow. Need to talk to you anyways. Congrats and well dones on the salsa gig - my god, you must be very good... you'll have to show us tomorrow night biggrin And I know one such male missus, fits all the criteria, but he lives in Cambodia?!!

hehehehe.
Take care
xx

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
well done steph!

poi & salsa = sexeeeeey! must see soon!

good luck with your busking tonite. much the same is on the cards in dublin, here's hoping the rain stays away.

ahh, even if it rains, i'll just go home and finish my flags, which are looking absolutely beautiful if i may say so myself biggrin i have lots and lots of amazing new ideas. the ol' creative streak has made a reappearance, after a long absence. maybe i'll even get the mosaic in the bathroom finished this time. can't wait to see you all and discuss all the wonderful new toys we should make biggrin

hug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hahahaha... didn't realise it had gone as far as the bathroom biggrin

Good luck for tonight... it's a clear sky, but windy here at the mo... hopefully it'll settle down.

Tainted, can you let me know what's going on so I can invite others?!!

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Hows it going to all ye Irish twirly types? I'm on my way back to Ireland now for Christmas after being poi inspired for the last 4 months here in France since the Lille convention and Aurilliac street festival. Is the juggly meet still going on in Cork? or any fire nights being organised?
Hopefully meet up with ye in the near future,
Ronan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there Ronan,
Nice to meet you biggrin

Nothing's organised at the minute cos it's nasty and wet and windy and it keeps upsetting our fun, but I reckon we should try for something in January/February.

I might be going away the weekend of the 14/16 and I think Lisa and Aidan will be away the weekend 21/24... so maybe around the 8th? or the 29th?

Also, if I remember right, Steph is leaving around January, so we have to have a leaving thingme for her too biggrin

Feedback anyones?!

Have a good weekend
xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hey ronan... smile

i'll be hangin around cork till friday and will be back the wednesday after.

theres a juggling club that will be on every thursday again after christmas and a community circus that is on this tuesday and again in the new year.

drop down tuesday if you can. or send me your phone/email and i'll give ya a buzz. im alway s up for a bit of spinny fun.

for all you other irish folk, there was a fire night on down here on thursday night too. what are the chances. three in three cities.

hope every is well.

a

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hi ronan wave

no idea where in ireland you'll be but if you're around dublin and fancy a spin be sure to get in touch.

how did your thursday nite go clare? did yiz manage to get out for a spin? about 10 people turned up for ours which was rather nice.

this weekend went splendidly too. i have finished:

1x pair of poi-style flags. first pair i've ever made. absolutely stunning to look at, all shiney and flowey and shwooshy (you know that lovely sound they make)

more of the same in the making as we speak biggrin

1x pair of fire staffs.

yes, finally, i gave birth to twins! trés exciting indeed. though there's not a lot of wick on them so they look quite harmless & innocent. in comparison to ado-p's 4ft of 4inch wick on each end (greedy b*stard!)

so yeh, my new offspring only have 1ft of 2 and a half inch wick on each end, but i'm sure they'll sparkle quite nicely till i get more acustomed to this doubles lark.

*skips off into the sunset waving 2 shiney sticks about*

FräuleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
looks around the corner shily, spots people she knows and runs in excitedly

Hello, hope you are all fine. Congratulations to your birth, Lisa!! Twins? Wow... rolleyes

Your last entries more and more remind me of screen plays ya know?

shakes head; exit stage left ubblol

"I see," said the blind man.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lisa... aww poo. You need more wick missus!!!

Small wicks are for beginners!!! And you're much better than that! biggrin

Anyways, mucho congrats on the flags (and the sticks!!)... I look forward to seeing them on Sunday!

So then... Thursday night was rained off... but thanks to a bit of encouragement from Steph, we got a gathering together on Saturday night - and jeez, it went well.
We had about 7/8 spinners down - most of whom we hadn't met before (including Simon from circus school who did some lovely stuff with clubs). Also, thanks to Lisa's marvellous kevlar gloves, my new fireballs made their debut - well received too, I think biggrin
I'm going to try to have the rakehead firefans made up by Sunday...

Great to see more people join our little Irishy crew.

Speaking of which, the beautiful Steph is leaving our fair shores at the end of January, so a gathering is required. Now, I'm going to be away the weekend of the 14/15 and Lisa and Aidan will be away the next weekend, so I think it's going to have to be the weekend of January 8th. This is very soon (a couple of weeks)!!!

So we need a venue (Belfast or Dublin, lol) and other such arrangements sorted in the next couple of days.

Any suggestions? Steph, what do you think, what would you prefer?

Take care peoples
Clare x

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
On the 8th of Jan the Cork City of Culture 2005 festival is kicking off.

Music, Parades, Street Theatre the lot.

The Cork Community Circus are putting on a five person fully choreographed fire show that night in front of the park. I've been watching them rehearse and it looks sweeeet.

It would be a good weekend if ya'll dont mind travelling.

Otherwise i reckon Dublin is the way to go. Easier for us all to get to the middle of the country....

Where are you flying out from steph?
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1103791729)

Love is the law.

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Going to try and make it up to the Cork juggle meet after christmas, hopefully see some of ye there.

I'm down in west cork near clonakilty so anyone heading this direction give me a shout.

ronopotamus@hotmail.com

luverly juverly

ronan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i'm easy. as you all know there's a spare double bed at mine + plenty of floor space if you fancy heading to the pale.

the cork thingymajig sounds great but i seriously doubt i'll have any cash, it's my dad's birthday on the 6th of jan too.

or we could just let steph decide...

anyhooooo..... i'm just about to leave work. so clare & steph i shall see you both on stephen's/boxing day. clare, i'll give you a shout beforehand and let you know which bus i'll be on. if you can think of anything else i need to bring just text me.

so folks, have a lovely xmas. hope you all have a wonderful time. i intend smoking to my hearts content and eating all the chocolate i can get my hands on biggrin

see ya all real soon xx

L peace

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, take care Lisa, I hope you have a really satisfying Christmas... I'll be spending mine waiting for you guys to come up biggrin

Looking forward to seeing you girlies, and I'm hoping it's nice weather... for just one day.

Happy Christmas all the Irish poiples... take care, best wishes and I'll see you all soon

Love Clare xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Merry Christmas to you all.

happy peaceful smoke/chocolate/pressie filled holidays for every one

biggrin

Love is the law.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Hi crazy kids,

Sounds like there's loads going on spinning wise at the moment - excellent weavesmiley

Just thought i'd pop in to say happy christmas, from the jugglers rest hostel in New Zealand, where it sounds like i'll be working for a few months. (and playing lots with fire in the garden). Hope you're all well, take care, and have a hot port for me (they don't do them here grr...)

Helen bye

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Take care Helen... enjoy your Christmas away!!!

HilarySILVER Member
59 posts

Posted:
Happy Christmas to Ado-p and all those in Cork, and course the rest of Ireland's playful souls. Have a great one!! Thinking of everyone back home as working on night shift tonight and tomorrow(firedancing nurse and not in a kinky sense!).
love and light

Hilary

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there everyone,

Happy New Year to you all - whereever you are in the world! hug

Well then, if you didn't get the email (or rather, didn't get the email several times rolleyes) we're all meeting up this weekend for Steph's goodbye gathering.

Yes indeed, our lovely dragon princess has had enough of the rain, snow, sleet, freezing temperatures, etc (and who can blame her?!) and has decided to leave. frown

It's going to be from this Friday to Sunday in Dublin... cross your fingers and pray to the gods that it doesn't rain all weekend meditate

Also, we were thinking of doing some busking again in Temple Bar on the Saturday night (drummers - it'd be great to see you biggrin). We thought it'd be a good idea to donate any money raised to the Tsunami Disaster Relief fund - so even more reason to dance!

It'd be great to see as many of you as possible - and honestly, once you start playing it is possible to feel your fingers again! (but it's also a good idea to bring tea, or hot whiskey and suchlike!)

Take care,
See you all at the weekend
(hopefully, as I suspect my dad may have given me a cold. Anyone have any time-honoured cold defeating remedies?!)
Clare xx

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hello folks & folksesses smile

first off, happy 2005! hope everyone had a splendid end to the past year, and a thrilling start to this one hug

just mailed a few other peeps not on the mailing list. sounds good so far. have been promised drums too, always good smile

i was thinking we should probably get together pretty early on the saturday for busking, perhaps 6-7ish (pitch could be busy later). there's noise laws in the temple bar area in the evenings, so i reckon if we're out sometime between 6 & 10 we'll get no hassle, plus there'll be plenty of crowds about at that time who'll no doubt be willing to part with their cash for such a worthy cause.

whatcha reckon?

clare & steph are staying at mine for the weekend, so that's all the bed space accounted for. though anyone else is welcome to stay too. there's plenty of floorspace, just bring a sleeping bag.

see ya all soon hug

Lisa peace

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a marvellous idea missus,

Don't forget the fuel though!!! ubblol
Since Steph is driving (thank god), I will bring my bucket for dipping and get another for any money.

Take care, see youse Friday!

Clare x

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Hey there kiddies... Me and Ture were thinking of heading down but cant afford any hostels so if anyone is willing to let us kip on the floor (we are clean I swear) sooooooooo we hope to see you down there. weavesmiley

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
you can stay in my house....

but then i live in cork.... biggrin

*looks around for faberge*

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Gonna talk random crap Im bored lalalalalalalala I need entertained - well I really need to finish my research paper. "Is circus the new theatre?" Hehehehe at least its interesting to research..... spank Workworkworkwork

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i could do a dance for you

*wiggle*

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Oh cute wiggle hahahaha clap were you at the Tralee juggling convention???

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
fraid not, it was my birthday and i was getting wasted in limerick at a going away party.

same deal this weekend. big party in cork, big party in dublin.

damn im torn

TORN!!!!

someone please skin up.

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
ubbcryingAwwwwww I think you should go to Dublin.... Cause the only 2 Ive met from the board are Claire and Steph + thats cause I go to circuse school in Belfast (so does Steph) I want to meet people. (esp people who can do staff as I havent met anyone whos taught me anything new yet)

Page: ......