Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hellos everyone... I discovered someone new on the boards last night biggrin

Spiderbaby!

(sorry if I'm being slow again and you have all already met)

Anyways, he/she posted this over on the Invader thread:

"Hi its just been discovered by Firepoise im an Irish firespinner. Firepoise just told me to introduce myself so here i am. Can anyone tell me about upcoming events here , where and when they are? I live in the south in Naas."

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
I like the way you're thinking Helen, I'm planning on heading to Stephan's green on Sunday - hopefully I'll see you there.:) smile smile

(note the non-commital "planning" and "hopefully" - that's an insurance policy in case my head's too sore after saturday night wink )

Remember what the doormouse said

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Sunday juggling is ALWAYS dependant on the state of my head after Saturday night...often it's just Sunday lying about in the park instead...

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i was supposed to be moving this weekend but the goddamn bureaucratic wankmanship in this country has all the paperwork on my apartment held up, so i think i can make it.

welcome spiderbaby hug whereabouts in kildare are you?

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Spiderbaby welcome

Do make yourself at home smile

Helen_of_Poi

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Coola-boola thanks for the hospitality. Im from Naas in Kildare. Its so good to hear from other HOPers, just by chance Firepoise saw i was in Ireland and directed me to this thread so thanks Firepoise aswell. Are there ever spinning meets in dublin? and any coming up soon?

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Spiderbaby - see my post just up this thread for the regular spinning meets in Dublin wink

Helen_of_Poi

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: Helen_of_poi

Also, from what i hear, Sunday afternoon lazing about with occasional object manipulation is back on in Stephen's Green, by the bandstand. Again, just go, throw or swing something around, and more will materialise. Time is approximately 3pm, or whenever people make it there.

Hope to see ye all there soon hug

hmmm.... what i would like to know is where the hell everyone was yesterday? huh?

myself, declan & darrell had a wonderful afternoon of fun in the sun without yiz.... bloody flakes wink

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
i had the best spin of my life yesterday. I did stuff i didnt know i could yesterday. It was great and the music that was supplied was unreal. sorry you guys missed it but maybe next time. who is going to the pav tomorrow night?

Grow old but never grow up

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
meeeeee!!!!!!

and yes, it was a fab day wasn't it biggrin

and they missed my furry staffs!

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Will definately be at the pav tomorrow - see you all there ?

biggrin

Helen_of_Poi

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
Yesterday was indeed great fun.

I'll be at the pav tomorrow for more of the same.

clap

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
yes, me & the furries will be there biggrin

grrracenewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Hi wave I just realised I should have posted this...

"Hello all!
I don't suppose there are any Galway-ens on the board? I spoke to some dancers from various places around Ireland who were in Galway for a couple of nights, and one of them said that Galway probably had the largest congregation of twirlers in Ireland. Where are you all that's what I want to know?

I'm from Australia, can't do poi, but am a beginner staff twirler. I'd love to meet others in Galway, because I'm going to be here for a while, and I don't know anyone other than my housemates and a friend I met at Barnacles Hostel!

Hope you guys can help me out! smile"

...in this thread, rather than the 'Welcome to Ireland' thread.
Oh well, there you go smile Now it can be read in both! Huzzah! biggrin

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
See you folks in the Pav tonight for some Spiinage (sounds similar to Spinnach, the nasty green leaf mothers insist is edible)

WElcome Spider Baby !!! perhaps you might Know MArrianne Seery? or Rain ? its a long shot, but you used the Term "Coola Boola" and those two girls used it all the time and were from naas : )

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
welcome grrrace welcome

sorry to disappoint you but i'd say that the largest congregation of spinners is in dublin. they haven't been out and about too much this year but now that the weather's picking up they're all crawling out of the woodwork. i know a feww peeps in galway but unfortunately they don't post here. perhaps when flip or ronopotamus drop by they can help you out, they know more folks from that neck of the woods.

also check out [Old link] for fun nite happening soon. there'll be some peeps from galway there too so come along and introduce yourself smile

yes, the pav tonite? i'll be there after class, about 8.15ish. can't wait to show off my new furry staffs biggrin

they rock!! cool

Written by: Fear-Tine

i had the best spin of my life yesterday. I did stuff i didnt know i could yesterday. It was great and the music that was supplied was unreal. sorry you guys missed it but maybe next time. who is going to the pav tomorrow night?

dec, i spent about 4 hours yesterday out in the sun spinning to that sweet cd biggrin

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
Hello Grrrace !!! Me oh my !? two new folks on the boards in one one week !?? the jugglers really are coming out of the woodwork! this is fantasmic ! Anywho welcome dear !

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Hi Grrrace welcome

There is a regular circus club in Galway, on Monday nights from 8pm in the Rowing Club. They're a friendly bunch, so just wander along. More info here: Circudelic

That's probably your best bet for meeting more spinners there - aside from just watching out for buskers smile

Enjoy

biggrin

Helen_of_Poi

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Fab you so have to come out here with your cd's soon so I can burn them.

It s a class cd

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
hi guys..

I'm in Boston and it's fecking roastin. I thought I got sun burnt at tara but I'm starting to resemble Frankenstein's monster I'vee got soo many different colours of tan / burn / pastey... any way just thought I'd drop in and say hi and I'm missing you all like mad. Oh and Cloudscape I've still got Jamie's map you left so early on Sunday morning that I didn't get a chance to return it. I'll wing it down to you at some point. Have fun, but not too much with out me I don't want to be out of the loop when I get back lol.

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
No worries Diane, maps shmpas anyway - real men use their gut instincts Grrrrrrrr.

(Although at this point Jamie is probably still doing laps of the N3)

Have a great time stateside, I'm sure we'll hook up at some point when you're back.

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
diane when are you returning? HIYA grrrrace, HIYA spiderbaby! is everyone aware of the busking on grafton street this saturday. also, there seems to be a bit of a mad party on friday in river valley park on friday , im not too sure whats going on exactly, but i know there'll be fire and probably drumming. maybe even some treats smile

me & helene will probably be leaving town on friday at 9ish if anyone wants to meet up and tag along. and then we'll be out on grafton street at 9 or 10 on saturday.

see you all soon, enjoy your trip fabby meditate

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
was thinking of heading to dublin this weekend at some point for a few days... Any floor space?? im tiny smile

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
There is always floor space for you little girl. Maybe you can learn some contact as well

761 posts

Posted:
i have a couch with your name on it, theres an airbed too

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Yey biggrin was thinking of heading down sun til wed......

761 posts

Posted:
sound so, are you coming to do anything in particular or just rambling?

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Well if your coming down on sunday make sure you can get down early enough to go to stephens green WITH EVERYBODY ELSE!!!!! ubblol

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
just rambling im bored of Belfast was thinking of busking as well to try and make some money for the beer fund

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Puh! Bored of Belfast?!!

How can that be?!!!

biggrin

Page: ......