Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. ÂŁ3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
heya babe hug

i've no idea who's gonna be around on thursday, a lot are away this week. go for it though, no better day for it.

Have a very Happy St Paddy's Day all bounce bounce bounce bounce

see you all soon xx

peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Welcome to HOP cameron hug

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there everyone...

Well, finally got round to posting about this weekend... eurk, sorry it's a bit late biggrin

Nice to meet you cameron... hope to see you on Saturday!

So then, the email I just sent round:

Happy st patrick's day! Hope you all have a great day and have a drink for
me - I'll be sitting in work thinking of you all rolleyes! Good luck to those taking
part in the Cork parade smile

Anyways, everything is still going ahead this weekend... we're meeting up on
Saturday afternoon at Tara (around 3pm) to do some fire spinning - also some
filming for the HoP dvd entry!

It looks like it'll be good weather, so we're planning to camp there on the
Saturday night.

Final arrangements are still a little hazy, so if you want to go, or if
you're thinking of making the trip down to see us, let me know...

Alrighty then... I'll be in touch lads... but hope to see you'se Friday

Take care
Clare xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Congratulations everyone smile

Yesterday was a great job. Cant wait for the next gig. And now we have belly dancers too!!! (well i have but i might be persuaded to share).

Last night was incredible. Busking is the bomb.

Come back to cork soon!!!!

now

*runs off with all the money*

Love is the law.

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
Damn, I can't believe I'm schussing down snowy slopes in France instead of participating in all the fun in good ol' Ireland. Still, no injuries apart from a bruised lip (completely ruins my good looks and irresistable charm - everyone keeps telling me to wipe the dirt off my face) due to an unfortunate altercation with a fallen skier's pole on a chair-lift. And the ceiling in the Youth Hostel is high enough to play with my socks. No kero, though, so no fire in the snow yet. As of Sunday, I magically transform into a snowboarder instead of a skier, and every time I dream of boarding, I'm really good at it. What a shame that reality is so different.

Still, happy St Paddy's retrospectively, and damn, I wish I could be at Tara.

I am glad this is an international game - I learnt in school that the world spins, and now I know it's true.

TreasSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
hey there,
just givin this whole posting thing a try for the first time wavehello

couldnt make it to the parade cos was working but the boyfriend filmed it so got to see it afterwards ubbtickled

caoi for now

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hey Treas

Welcome to the madness

Give us a shout sometime and we'll go for a spin.

Zarkia is from cork too...

smile

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
ladeda well im a little bit bored tonight nothing on tv, and ive spun til my wee hands can spin no more somebody entertain me......

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello everyones!!

Thank you to everyone who turned up at the weekend... it was great to see you all again. Ttwas a pity it got so cold, but we all gave it loads and got some lovely filming done. biggrin

Thanks to Lisa and Johnny for all the organising - muchly appreciated. hug

Sorry to all those who couldn't make it. You were missed, and hopefully I'll see you along the road again.

For those who don't know... someone picked up Lisa's poi... so please check you've got yours, and Johnny has someone's sleeping bag.

Take care,
Love and hugs
Clare xxx

PS: awwwoohh. the muscles in my shoulders still hurt from all that spinning in a cloud biggrin

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Yeah but spinning with the fire hands was cool!!! I love ideas that appear at 4 in the morn!!

MORE FIRE!!! ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

Grow old but never grow up

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
check this out kids

https://www.sharp-baton.com/cart/details.asp?ProdID=66

i want one.

in fact i want two!!!!

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
When i was in the majorettes (dont laugh) we used them ... i only used the once or twice, awkward but sooooooooooooo pretty and you can get fire ones

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
im gonna make a five foot one next week tongue

plus

flags galore.

https://dancecheer.net/dirflags.html

theres so much stuff out there for baton twirlers confused

perhaps they have a cunning plan to take over the world

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"When i was in the majorettes"

ubblol

Ahem. Sorry.

smile

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
Im sorry Ado-p But that last web address was absolutley hilarious for all the wrong reasons! what the Hell is a "Christian dance worship ministry" !!!???!? and how does one join one!?

The only cool thing that could be done with some of those flags is burning them.

Wow...where the hell did that SPout of negativity come from !??

the other website you mentioned though was much better...agh yes...the ever growing fascination with fire has lead to some amazing inventions. the fire Baton/hoop is kinda similar to Squarefishe's spinning wheel of death and fire.... any other sites ? with crazy things wrapped in kevelar?

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
baton twirlers man. you dont go looking for baton gear and not expect to find weirdness.

you should of seen the face of the women we accosted for lessons in cork last week. She's used to teaching girls under ten with teeny weeny little batons. Firetwirlers with five foot staffs came as a bit of a shock ubblol

besides, flags rock!!!!

the baton hoop seems very cool. not sure how im gonna make a fire one yet though. might get a thing bicycle wheel and tak all the spokes out. drill a coupld of holes and stick an ali pole in.

now all i need is a penny farthing so i can get a huuuuge wheel biggrin

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Hey i was a baton twirler and you didnt find me weird....well not that i know of, am i weird ubbcrying

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
who says i didnt find you weird wink

of course you are. your a firespinner right? gonna join the circus right?

smile

Love is the law.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
weird is good. its better than "normal" hug

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
I can imagine the shock of the poor woman teaching a bunch of kerosine soaked twenty somethings lugging around, (bye all means and definitions) offensive weapons, as one police officer called them... Did you learn anything from her ?

Baton jugglers are fine, nothing wrong with it, juggling is juggling is juggling juggle tongue

but some of the gear on that website was a SOOOO TACKY !!!

anyone in Galway this weekend looking for a spinning session? on saterday perhaps ? ? ?

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i'll be in limerick myself

if anyone is interested in hooking up in cork next week let me know. we're having some visitors over for a few days from belfast

namley the weird baton spinning circus from above!!!

also helena is coming over for a few days. I think her name is Kat on here.

does anyone have Clare from UCD's phone number? Could you pm it to me?

Love is the law.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Im in galway this weekend but not sure if im around the city.might be able to convince someone to bring me up though.let me get back to you

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Hey mad2,,,,,,,,ummmm ok i guess we are baton circus spinney type people ubbloco i think.....

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
mmm

so how was everyones weekend.

amelie and i went busking for three hours on saturday and another three on saturday night. did very well and then spent the entire weekend smoking and watching dvd's with her boyfriend an other random french people.

come and tell us about falmouth firepoise!!!!!

bounce2

ubertaff in three weeks!!!!

woooooo!!!!

biggrin

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
hehehehe. Am looking through everyones pics... which takes about a year on this crappy computer... it was frickin marvellous though... the Englishy-types are so technical and know so many moves it's quite scary.

Shall tell all soon

x

TreasSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
hey corkonians!

ive heard bout the community circus at the lough on tue eves but dont kno what time it starts ??
also is it right on the lough? if not could someone give me directions ??

Danke!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hi Treas,

I'm heading up there tonight myself

Do you have an email address?

I'll send you on my phone number by private message.

Look for the flashing icon on the top of the page smile

a

Love is the law.

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
I'm struggling to get any decent practice in at the mo so I was thinking of heading along to one of the college juggling society nights (UCD / DIT / trinity).

Does anyone go regularly and if so are they any good for spinning? Also do you know if they meet this time of year with exam mayhem on the horizon?

Cheers

Remember what the doormouse said

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
I dont know about DIT or trinity but UCD are back running after the easter break and everyone goes fairly regularly from what I gather. There is about 3 or 4 poi people at UCD that are there everytime i have been there.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hey ho howdy dudeys & dudettes ubbrollsmile

body is bruised & broken after a fab week of snowboarding during which i took a nasty fall and did about 3 somersaults down a steep piste and then continued to slide on my head, back & [censored] (in that order) for about another 50 feet. ouch!

still, would do it all again at the drop of a hat biggrin

i hope to make it to UCD tonite, but still a bit jet-lagged. the battered body still thinks it's on US time, got exactly 30 minutes sleep last nite and stared at the ceiling for about 6 & a half hours....

darrell, i'll text you at about 4ish when i know for sure if i'll be there

hug to all

xx

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Page: ......