Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
uberpoi is on the weekend from 15th July. There is a thread here handily called Uberpoi. There is a listing in there for people who want to go. Youll need to quote it and add your name to the deposits paid or unpaid list. I can sort that for ya if your not sure which buttons to push... You stand a chance of losing your place if you dont pay the 20pound deposit so its worth looking into that. Looks like its gonna fill up quick fast

Amelie and I and looking at travelling over on the 13th until around the 20th. Its possible we'll stay around for the Falmouth meet but the plan is to travel south and find a cheap airport to fly to paris for a week on.

after that who knows.

flights from dublin on ryanair are running at about 10-20 euro at the moment depending on which day you fly. All you need to do is land in the airport. Finding everyone in ed is very easy. The whole city is littered with jugglers and spinners smile

Love is the law.

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
Heyooo back at ya imprettylikedrugs

Can I just ask what exactly do you mean when you call yourself pretty like drugs, mine never look pretty, do you have some sort of special dealer down there in Wicklow who does deals like those bath bombs in lush with glitter? Or maybe you get origami swan wraps... or little miniature hash carvings, i'm intrigued more details please wink

(mine just make me feel pretty) ubbloco

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
Maybe it's "I'm pretty like drugs" as in "I'm fairly similar to drugs"???

Hmmmmm

[looks intrigued]

Remember what the doormouse said

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
It’s actually a convenient mixture of both Cloudscapes ponderings and Firebyrds musings.

On a non Juggling note, getting drugs that looked like those bath bombs would be pretty crazy sh1t !!!! I could see a massive increase in the amount of 12 to 14 year old girls and 40 something year old working professional females becoming addicted to skag, hash or crack, if it were presented in such a wonderful fashion.
Any way the nearest thing I came to having nice looking drugs were those gold top cubensis's that were in the shape of a penis. Apart from that I get the same [censored] every other punter on this isle deals with...Crap, wrapped in tinfoil, cut with plastic bags and glucose, smuggled in up some poor sods sphincter and dealt to you for half a weeks wage. Glorious.

Back to spinning... Ado- p Thank you very kindly for your information smile

Any spinny type activities lined up for this weekend anywhere in the country by the by? Or any one wanna keep it local? A bit of busking perchance? a friendly spinning session in meeting housesquare just for practice sake? But if there’s something else on, ignore the above like a bad rash.

smile smile smile wink smile smile smile smile

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ado-p and amelie are doing a 20 minute UV show on stage in dolans warehouse in limerick this friday night.

plenty of firey fun to be had later too.

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
cameron smile how's it going hun? hug

there'll be a few of us heading into town for some busking on saturday i'm sure. just trying to sort out a few drummers. the summer tourists have already started descending on dublin in droves, we should clean up. will let ya know time etc later

helllooooo everyone else too hug

gotta dash....

ubbrollsmile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello there Cameron, you funny man.

Will be good to see all you guys again.

I'm putting my car through the MOT on Saturday night, so everyone cross your fingers for that.

However, maybe, if the weather is good, I'll try to get a wee Belfast fire gathering happening... biggrin

And Aidan... did you just refer to yourself in the third person?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Is that a trick question? wink

Love is the law.

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
Hey I'mprettylikedrugs I just got very confused umm I'm sorry I just assumed you were of the female persuasion, took me a while to figure out firepoise was talking to you when she said Cameron.. I thought she was just talking to her imaginery friends again ubblol fair play to you, you must be very comfortable with your own masculinity to refer to yourself as pretty. Well done i'm impressed. Do you think I should start calling myself butch?
any way I'm going to have to come down to Galway and meet you guys, it's a bit less of an arduous drive than Cork! Sorry aidan.... you just live too god damn far away, sort it out, come to Belfast!
any way rambling now I have to go and do some work, and reaffirm my femininity by being butch ?! eek

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol... my imaginery friends? biggrin

Tee hee. Yes, Cameron is a boy. And a particularly lovely one at that.

Maybe we should get a nice relaxed gathering happening soon (that would be entirely non-performance-related)... and I may just have the perfect venue for it smile

But I shall let you all know about it shortly...

In the meantime... are you belfasty people up for a wee preliminary gathering on Saturday night?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

Maybe we should get a nice relaxed gathering happening soon (that would be entirely non-performance-related)... and I may just have the perfect venue for it smile

umm

sounds like a delightfull plan. a weekend event perhaps? mmmm relaxation smile

fire in cork tonight for anyone that is around too smile

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yes, it is a weekend event.... and it will probably be in Belfast because the quality of the venue smile

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Ahhh Uber poi sounds lovely,
can't wait
whahhahahaa

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
Claire I'm intrigued would this fantastic venue happen to be up in East Belfast at Damien's house??? if so I live just down the road so there'll be plenty of floor space to crash on. If it is let me know and I'll stick my oar in and flutter the eyelids to push the cause along tongue - no fair they don't have a fluttering eyelids greamlin ubbcrying

Just got an extension on my assignments! Yeh now I can waste even more time guilt free hopping!!!! (well untill at least thursday) bounce2

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Tee hee... that would be the fabulous venue. biggrin

I'm going to try to meet up with him soon though, before I invite everyone there!!!

And with your floor space too... Christ, we could accomodate everyone pretty comfortably!!

Glad you got an extension... assignments are such a pain in the [censored]!!

Anyways... it's a beautiful sunny day, no wind... a bit chilly... but are you up for a wee gathering tonight?!!

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
Sorry pet no can do not unless you were planning to meet after eight. I'm gonna head up to the library to try and keep ontop of this work but they'll kick me out at some point. So actually yeh why the hell not. If you want to do Belfast txt me and if you want to do Bangor I could pick up colleen and drive down in the lovely new hire car. I quite fancy a wee spin to loosen me up fro tomorrow.... I'm bricking it I have a gig on stilts the only problem being that I have to play samba at the same time and the drums weigh a feckin tonne. went for a practice last night in the park and nearly killed myself tonight may well be last last night of spinning if I manage to break something tomorrow so I should definately make the most of it. Text me later
big kiss

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
trinity juggling club is meeting outdoors again at the pav this evening

yay for outdoor summer spinning & cheap cider bounce beerchug bounce

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Alrighty... I'll see what I can do... will be in touch soon smile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
does that mean you're coming to trinity for outdoor spinning & cheap cider?? biggrin

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
free cider for anyone who finds me a nice new egg-related avatar ubbrollsmile

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Is That on tonight faberge?

Grow old but never grow up

160 posts

Posted:
Ok, Saturday night sounds Great! Tourists season, aagh the gullible fools with an under appriciation for the toy Euro monies. We should make a enough : )

I cant believe I Come across as a Female !!!.... God dam my sexless Internet personality... Just to Clear this up

redface I AM A MALE, I HAVE TESTICLES, I USE THE WORD PRETTY BECAUSE.... well it’s a pretty nice word!? All is forgiven for those who thought I was Ovaried.
redface confused2

Hello Clare dear, hope to see you soon as well! Last time I saw you was at that weird Spanish party Kelly was Dj-ing at, and you had those really amazing hand wick, toy things from Thailand...If I remember rightly !?

Trinity sounds good today Lisa dear, shall see you there.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, no I am not coming to Dublin for cheapy cider.

Instead we are having a wee gathering at Damien's house tonight... everyone's been invited, will be fun to see who turns up biggrin

I shall be coming down to Dublin soon to also take advantage of said tourists - woohoo, tourists for all ubblol

Yes Cameron darlin, that was a while ago... are you coming to Cork?! Will see you there smile The firehands didn't come from Thailand, but a guy called Richard who I met in Thailand had something similar. I just kinda adapted them - stole the idea.

Take care m'lovelies

xx

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
yes yes, tonite's the nite weavesmiley

and cameron, you wouldn't believe the amount of HoPpers who still think i'm a boy rolleyes

if anyone could bring a spare pair of poi tonite for me to play with that would be muchly lovely indeed as i'm heading in straight from work and don't have my poi... frown

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
Sorry Imprettylikedrugs, (re:sexual ambiguity)

like you say its the whole curse of the internet faceless global quagmire blah blah blah.... anyway I appreciate being forgiven so easily, thankyou, you can get your own back on me when I finally get my ass in gear and let claire or Aidan drag me to Galway some weekend.

Seeing is believing you know! I'll show you mine if you show me yours and then there'll be no ambiguity........

Flith I tell you - it's not my fault though I was reading some of the analogies on one of the social chat threads and they've talking pure muck, I've been infected redface

160 posts

Posted:
Oh Firebyrd, How i do Blush in ernest, ubblol

I dont live in Galway, i Live in Dublin, but am a regular visitor to the city of tribes (that is Galway yeah?) smile

You dont happen to have the address to those chat threads do you....Ahem.... for...err.... strictly comparative, and reference purposes. wink

Clare dear, Lisa has had a wee bit of trouble securing a drummer for Sat night, so if you know any one we dont perhaps you could bring em along?

P.s. General question, what the Hell is this Graemlin meant to be doing ? footinmouth footinmouth footinmouth

Is it hitting a bong and getting the greens?
is it Puking ?
perhaps it has asthma?

can someone enlighten me please ?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Evening young Cameron,

I believe the threads the lady refers to are to be found in the chat and introduction sections of this very website - such is the smut between fire peoples. Puh rolleyes biggrin

Sadly, I will not be attending this Saturday nights festivities (with or without drummer) as my little red car has to go for it's MOT at 6pm. So, at 6pm on Saturday I want everyone to send positive thoughts to my little car in the hope that it will pass... cos if it doesn't, I'm utterly fuked. ubbcrying

Anyways... that graemlin is supposed to be the witty 'foot in mouth' type thing. However, I like your suggestion of Asthmatic graemlin more.

Lets stick with that biggrin

Anyone any suggestions for this: hehe ??
G'night all

ubblol

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
jake said he's up for some drumming but said he'll get back to me saturday afternoon for definite. guess we won't know till then so...

will keep you all posted

i always assumed that this hehe was just an antipodean one of these rolleyes

tongue

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
hey firepoise,

well......... what 's the verdit is your baby officailly still worthy of the tarmac, or has she been deemed unfit for petrol consumption?

In response to your query imprettylikedrugs who cares what this greamlin is doing footinmouth it can't be anything overly sinister he looks too happy. I think we should all be far more concerned with what ever it is that's had this effect on our little freind here.. eek

We should be asking questions such as;
1. What is the number for the RSPCG (Royal society for the prevention of cruelty to Greamilins)
2. Where does he get his curries, and how much is their chicken vindaloo?
3. What has he just walked in on.... (this reminds me of when I was about 6 and woke up late one night, needing comforted to get back to sleep I innocently wandered down the corridor to my parents bedroom door clutching in my small vunerable hand 'Blanky' my pink cot blanket... Oh God...... I think I need to work through this some more)

any way screw the foot in mouth greamlin we all know what that's all about I want some suggestions here... what is going on in this one's head eek

Page: ......