Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. ÂŁ3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

FräuleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
Written by: FabergĂŠ

ik heb geen geld...

Ik ook niet! ubblol

"I see," said the blind man.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ok, this is a gratuitous abuse of a post... but

I did my first ever hyperloop on fire tonight!!!!

Wayhey!!! bounce bounce

Am so pleased... being trying to get that one for aaagggeessssss.

(also noticed that my planes are becoming shocking through lack of practice... not so good frown )

hehehehehehe

Xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
bristol, cool, i'll go

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
had a real life photographer shoot me last night. digital too. cant wait to show you all. i also dropped my staff in the east river ubblol

missin you all

a

Love is the law.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fräulein

I would love to come over... do you have a place for me to stay!?!? wink

Yes I do, in the campsite with the rest of us! wink Do you have a tent?

Let's relight this forum ubblove

284 posts

Posted:
Yeah a 2 person tent, but I guess I am not able to make it frown But we definitely have to meet up some time wink At the latest when something happens that we talked about... ubblol

Laura, hope you had a great time at the workshop. I am so sorry we couldn't make it but - as Lisa already told you - we were kinda "disabeled" ubblol
But Lisa showed me some new tricks yesterday night in her living room (!) when we were slightly (!) drunk.... Thanks again for that Lisa and for the lovely breakfast. I am very grateful that I now know what potatoe waffles taste like ubblol

Non-Https Image Link
okay am off to bed now, was a long journey...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
jees, did I kill someone in my absence?

I tell you all that i dropped my staff, my baby, into the river and no one even reacts!!!

Tough crowd.

I was spinning on a peer at this wasteland with a view of manhatten and williamsburg bridge for some photos, Oisin was a complete hero and went into the east river at 2am. He cut his toe. I would have went in but there was a girl there and I wasnt wearing any underwear.

Today we marched in the protest again the Republican National Convention with (what we heard) was 400,000 other people. They were expecting 250,000 to turn up. it was an incredible day.

Laura, hope your workshop is a screaming success.

Lisa, disabled?

Fraulein, dont let lisa turn you into a hippy, you'll end up thinking waffles are an actual food group....

Firepoise?

So is no one going to BJC? I still want to go.....

a

Love is the law.

284 posts

Posted:
Okay, okay: Poor Roxanne 2! Poor Oisin... Hope his toe is better.... I told you: underwear can come handy once in a while... ubblol

Waffles are definitely an actual food group! I didn't know what I was missing.... wink

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
well, wasn't that another action packed weekend?? well, it was for me anyway. though why is it that i always end up injured confused

the festival of world cultures in dun laoghaire was quite good, though i wasn't overly impressed with the fire-show. met a girl from new zealand out there who's really good at poi, she's just around for a few weeks but has promised to come to trinners on tuesday biggrin i seem to be gathering spinners everywhere i go lately. it's all good though biggrin

anyway, i managed to trip on the steps into the beer garden in eamonn doran's on saturday nite and my ankle is f*cked frown very very sore still, but thankfully nothing broken (i think)

so that means i'll be the one hobbling around at the roots gig tonite. i haven't actually got a ticket yet but it's not sold out so i'll get one at the box office. i'll see how the foot is going later today, may be wise to opt for a balcony seat, boring i know, but what can one do...... clare you're probably on your way to dublin already. i'll buzz you later and arrange somewhere to meet.

laura, i'll see you there too. how did your workshop go yesterday? hope you had lotsa laughs weavesmiley

sarah, my apologies again for not being able to make it out to dun laoghaire on sunday due to my acrobatics the nite before redface (sarah had travelled all the way from cork to dublin for the festival and then had to sit and watch me moan with an icepack on my ankle all day)

aidan, stop looking for attention. don't you think it's just plain silly to be throwing your staff into the east river? where's my middle bit gone comes to mind..... nana ubblol

only kidding babe hug2 hope you're having a blast in ny. and by the way, potato waffles are one of the most important food groups, right after chocolate and cheese & onion taytos ubbloco

as far as i know that other lucky lot were heading out to black rock city yesterday. hi you lot!! wave i've heard from clo, she's managed to find my brother and has been down drumming on hippy hill in golden gate park. i so wish i was there......

Lisa peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

284 posts

Posted:
Written by: FabergĂŠ

And by the way, potato waffles are one of the most important food groups, right after chocolate and cheese & onion taytos ubbloco

And Nachos and dip and jellys and Maltesers and.... God, I am still full ubblol

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello m'luvelies...

Wayhey!!! What a night!! Oh my god, but The Roots are just the best band in the world!!! Funky, funky, funky... there are few bands that can lay claim to each individual member being a master at his instrument biggrin

It was great to see you again Lisa and Laura, and Lisa I'm sure your foot is hurting like hell today with all that hip-hopping (urgh, sorry redface) - sometime in your busy schedule you'll have to put your feet up (maybe Friday?!!)!!

Anyways, its sunny here today, so I'm going outside to teach myself the nifty reverse BTB weave Lisa showed me last night.

Oh yes, and just to clarify, there was no stalkery-type behaviour or hysteria on my part last night, so don't believe anything that Lisa one tells you!!!

Lol, take care

xx

PS: welcome home Aidan, hope you had a good trip and a safe flight

PPS: (drool) Mmmmmmmm Tayto cheese and onion crisps - the only crisp in the world were the flavour lasts a week ubblol (and incidentally, one of the best things my mum posted out to me when I was travelling biggrin)

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i was actually leaving this thread alone until you had posted last nights events in all their glory.

so ok, if you're not gonna brag then i'll do it for you biggrin you're too modest.

we met (most members of) the roots at an afterparty after the gig last nite, AND had our photos taken with them, AND clare caught a towel thrown into the audience by one of the band members! they were all very very sexy, i must admit. mmmm ubblove and i'll attest to clare's comments on hysteria, we were very well behaved, no groupie type behaviour at all. lots of these -> biggrin but hey, what's a girl to do with so many sexy men around.....

i got 2 hours sleep last nite. i thought i was gonna pass out on my desk this morning rolleyes

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
*coughs*

Excuse me but how can you have "no groupie type behaviour at all" in the same sentance as "we met (most members of) the roots at an afterparty after the gig last nite, AND had our photos taken with them, AND clare caught a towel thrown into the audience by one of the band members"

Me thinks there was some groupie type behaviour going on wink ubblol

Sounds like a wicked night, I'm very jealous ubblove <- needs to be green

Let's relight this forum ubblove

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol
(thanks Lisa biggrin)

hehehehe. it was a totally amazing night... one of the best I've had in ages. Laura and I spoke to one of the guitarists for about 15 mins, he just came over and started chatting - lovely, lovely people.

The band are so tight, watching them play is just incredible. And Mr ?uestlove is funky as hell. After the gig we went to a party where he was DJing and he played some funky as hell old skool tracks... I'm not so sure bout his DJing skills, though ubblol (although, he had been playing drums for over an hour, then had been Djing continually for about 4 hours - he's still a legend ubblove)

Custom, did you make it to the Reading festival?! The Roots played there on Saturday or Sunday night.

Take care

xx

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
dont u just hate when u neglect responsibilities?? and then they all pile on top of you...ugghhhh

Anyway!!!!!!!!!! what a wicked nite! that guitarist was uber friendly, just mooched up beside us and nattered about his new found love for rory gallagher.....mmmm, lovely man

those solos damn it, my jaw dropped.

i am slightly braindead today, but will fill all in with quick gossip. dun laoghaire went well, poi-ed for few hours, sun blazing, drummers banging away, huge mixture of people giving it a go, but by bout 3.30 the sun had dwindled and we realised the poi we had made for the fest were disapearing rapidly. only downfall really, but out of 17 pairs, only 7 were left frown boo hoo

but, as i said, while the sun was out and all 17 were swinging, it was a fun time. yay! met some new poi people as well as jay the nice juggler boy from trinity who informed me that it runs all through the winter and is indoors. nice...

clare, ur groupie behaviour was spectacular! so proud of u girl. i reckon u got ur moneys worth! also, i now know about the atm in the temple bar, and a delightful little beer garden in the music centre!

welcome back aidan, want to c fotos! and as for ur staff in rivers....wel, maybe its telling u it likes water. ask sarah bout that...we been coming up with some ideas for firetography! this staff in river experience of urs could be our inspiration. also, get ur self some pants wink y-fronts, lovely. want tales of that protest, what is a downer though is that just as many people are there to support the bushy fool. frown

bristol is defo a no go, money money money, (or lack there of) rooot of all eeeeevil....

electric picnic ladies and gentlemen, who will be attending? lisa did u get to trinners tonite? i wasnt bothered, felt a nite on the couch was deserved as my brain is fooooked

im outa here, bed is calling me smile

Potato Waffles: with butter? Or tomato sauce?

ubbtickled

Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Not groupie at all - just appreciative biggrin rolleyes ubblove

Taking fireshots in water works amazingly well - I reckon a beautiful still lake is best... you get lovely reflections on the water surface (saw a guy do really long staff in Lake Placid, near Cairns in Oz - the reflection of the fire on water looks incredible) - good luck finding a nice still lake where you won't freeze to death here though ubblol

xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Why thankyou Laudie

Have pants will travel.

NY was incredible, it may take me a few days to recover enough to regale you with tales of my adventures with the biscuit (oisin being a biscuit, dolnt ask).

Highlights

Climbing up a fifty foot water tower on top a six story building in Queens,

An under ground 'Rubliad' party. Loadsa bands, loadsa costumes, art and craziness.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

The town of New Hope in Pensylvania. There was a custom bike rally on.

Spinning under Brooklyn Bridge, Spinning at Union Square, Spinning across the river from the Manhatten Skyline (and finding a professional photographer to shoot it, well he found us)

Gettin my staff back from said River.

Meetin some cool fire spinny folk.

Marching against the RNC. (dont think there was as much pro bush as the media are lettin on laudie i.e. we didnt see any).

De La Guarda. Incredible performance art show.

The Natural History Museum (i went twice, they have an unbelievable planetarium)

Poetry readings at night in central park (Anti bush, Anti homophobia, Anti racism + loads more )

And most of all the overall Deversity and Dynamism of New York City

Things i learned

Always carry spare underwear.

Dont spin staff on piers beside big rivers

Big ladders are scary

US folk are more polite and cus less than we do.

Have a nice day now....

a
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1094090600)

Love is the law.

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
yay! that was an impressive post my young chum. i feel the travel bug gnawing away at me soul......

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Just thought i'd mention that the tralee juggling convention is coming up in a few months

INFO
Written by:

Tralee JC will be going ahead after much searching of
insurance companies etc.. we finally managed
to get a quote.

We would love to have all yer support, hopefully
a few guys from belfast. (any chance of that
jay gilligan 3 person club routines, Nicky)

Looking forward to seeing the Trinners and the
Cork Circus School also. Here are all the
details:

When
Saturday, 13th November
Sunday 14th November, 2002

Where
KDYS Hall
Denny St
Tralee
Co Kerry
Ireland

How to get here
Anyone who lives in Ireland should
know how to get to Tralee.
Arrivals in Dublin should take
a train from Heuston Station to
Tralee. Journey takes 3.5 - 4 hrs
On arrival in Tralee, ask for Finnegans
hostel and book in.

Accomodation
Finnegans Hostel is next door
to the jugglling space. Special rate
for jugglers.
Bookings 353 66 7127610

Activities
Workshops
Games
Unlimited juggling
Renegade Stage

Cost
Between 10-20 Euro (15 approx)
includes hall rental, dj, tunes, insurance
to cover two days.

More Information: fanzini at ww.lycos.com

I would also like to mentiont that the 13th of Nov is also my birthday so if you want to give me presents you will have to some to tralee... biggrin

-

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, that should be good - but don't forget the SpherculHop day is on October 30...

I really want to get something together for that... maybe in Belfast?!!

See you soon

xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Sounds good,

I'd be more than happy to go to belfast again

smile

You got any ideas? Like a proper show somewhere maybe after a bit of practise and get togetherness, that'd be cool. Maybe even a workshop. Just throwing out ideas here.

a

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I was going to ask every single person I know who spins or juggles to come here over that weekend.

Halloween fancy dress... of course.

Location and music is going to be hard because it'll be freezing cold.
Will start asking around, but I'm going to the circus school next week, so I hope to meet some people there.

xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
If you can get them on board we might be able to get the cork community circus involved too. I'm dropping down there with my new stilts next week so i'll tell them all about it.

Love is the law.

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
good evening ladies n gentlemen

im up for a wee trip up north n kerry sounds delicious. aidan, i've met a huge amount of corkonians who spin some object or other. some involved with cork comm. circus, some not. but all talk lots...being from cork....

i have a mate who lives in derry and has a theatre group, they are all into performance art of many kinds and i reckon she would drag her crew down too clare. i will tell her of the plans smile

hallowe'en costumes are bleedin great. my best was a giant hula hoop packet made of cardboard. i even hada hula hoop hat....

hope u all had a delightful weekend

x x x x

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
hey!

Me and Martin are finally back in civilisation after the craziness that is Burning Man.

If you ever get the chance to go: DO!

Things we did:

Built an Irish pub in the shape of Newgrange and gave out free booze for a week, in return for good company and wacky gifts

Exchanged soulmates in the Costco soulmate trading camp

Had random pizza experiences

I kicked some serious ass in the Thunderdome, made friends with the Death Guild, and got them drunk and stoned

Saw some incredible art cars and mutant bikes

Danced the nights into the mornings for no good reason

Survived many white outs and dust storms

Went trampoling in a white out

And too many other things to recall

Advice for the Playa:

Don't put salad dressing in your mouth, save it for your hands

Never go to the desert without goggles, a dust mask and a druid's costume

Blinking lights are your friends

If in Thunderdome, ensure opponant isn't wearing a studded skirt before trapping her with your bare thighs (can send pictures of bruises to prove this one)

Don't get taken by the Karma Police

In other words, we had a great time! We're now in Oregon chilling out with some friends, next stop LA, then Fiji...

Take care,

Helen

Learnt to use a pee funnel

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hi helen, hi martin!

good to hear from you hug sounds like you had an amazing time! i will sooooo be there next year. can't wait to see clodagh and hear all the stories and see some crazy pictures biggrin

not too much happening here i'm afraid. went to the electric picnic at the weekend. pretty badly organised i thought, considering the tickets were 60 quid. i mean, how difficult can it be to organise a 1 day festival for 15,000 people...... the queues for beer were over an hour long!

i lost everyone the moment we got there and spent the day talking rubbish to strangers, it was great! the only downer was that i missed grandmaster flash frown (i know, clare, i know..... rolleyes)

we did have fantastic weather though, that was a bonus. though the highlight for me was an impromtu party in a field afterwards with a thumping sound system and lots of fire devil i'd have travelled to laois for that alone biggrin

trinners was good craic on tuesday. i can now do the 4bt corkscrew into 4bt windmill perfectly (it's taken a while to get it clean) and 1 half of the 5bt reverse weave biggrin

helen, have an absolute blast in fiji, can't wait to hear about it all

knuffels to all... hug

Lisa peace

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Oh my god.

How pissed am I that I'm in boring, boring Belfast?!!!! grrrr.... ubbcrying

Anyways, enough of that. Helen and Martin... am glad you had a marvellous time... I've heard there were nasty dust storms, but I'm sure that was all part of the fun.

Enjoy the rest of your travellings and see you when you get home.

Lisa (sharp intake of breath leading to hyperventilating) - you missed Grandmaster Flash?!!! ubbcrying ubbcrying ubbcrying I weep for you ubbcrying ubbcrying ubbcrying

But at least you had a good time and the weather was great anyways (now if it had been raining, that would've been much worse biggrin).

I can't believe all these cool moves you're getting - well done!!! What the hell is the 4-bt windmill?! And even one half of the 5bt reverse weave is a marvellous thing ubblol

Anyways, I'm going to sulk now. (I will console myself with the thought that I'm going to visit the circus school space to do some practice next week!)

Take care munchkins (it sounds funnier if you say it with a Belfast accent)
Clare x

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
clare, 4bt windmill is exactly the same as 4bt corkscrew, but then in the front and back wall plane. you just straighten it up, as you would going from regular corkscrew to windmill. be prepared for some serious boob-whacking though ubblol

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, will have to remember not to wear the padded bra that day then... otherwise, shouldn't be a problem ubblol

But will try it... thanks for that missus biggrin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello m'luvelies.

Alrighty then, it's been a couple of weeks and we're all getting bored (ok, I'm getting bored), so it seems another fire meet is in order. biggrin

Lisa and Kelly are travelling down to the fine city of Cork on September 25, and I've decided to fly down for that weekend too... so let's all pray for a really sunny last weekend in September umm and we can have a little firey thing. weavesmiley

Is anyone else around?! Does anyone else want to make the trip to the other end of the country for the sake of maybe twirling some fire about?!!!

Course you do ubblol

Take care and see you all soon
Love and hugs
Clare hug hug

Page: ......